The Billion Oyster Project: The Quest For 1 Billion Oysters
By: Joe Simonds on March 19, 2019
It’s podcast time!
We’ve gone back and looked at some of our best episodes in the past and noticed a trend: you guys really like hearing and learning about conservation.
So this week we’re bringing you more conservation!
We’ve got Liz from the Billion Oyster Project and Mike from The Nature Conservancy on the show.
They’re on an outstanding mission of having one billion live oysters distributed around 100 acres of oyster reefs in the New York Harbor.
The New York Harbor used to be the oyster capital of the world, with over 220 acres of oyster reefs, but because of pollution, overharvesting and dredging, the oyster population in the New York Harbor has been decimated.
In this episode we’ll talk about:
- How the Billion Oyster Project got started
- Why they chose one billion oysters
- How kids are getting involved in the Project (this makes me want to go back to school!)
- The massive value oysters provide to our marine ecosystem
- How they’re building these oyster reefs to support one billion oysters
- What restaurants are doing to support the project
- What their biggest challenges are (and how you can help)
Hope you enjoy this episode!
Billion Oyster Project [Podcast]
What did you think?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
You can keep up with Mike, Liz, and the Billion Oyster Project at:
- Billion Oyster Project on Instagram @billionoyster
- Billion Oyster Project on Facebook @billionoysterproject
- Billion Oyster Prject on Twitter @billionoyster
- Billion Oyster Project on LinkedIn
- Liz on Instagram @burmaid
P.S. know someone who would like this episode? TAG or SHARE this with them!
“The Inshore Fishing Manifesto”
The 3 Must-Know Breakthroughs To Consistently Catching Inshore Slams Faster Than You Ever Imagined.