Jackson Coosa Flex Drive Kayak Review [Video]
By: Tony Acevedo on June 6, 2018
After using the Jackson Coosa FD Kayak to fish for a while, I wanted to share what I have liked and disliked about this kayak.
This is a pedal drive kayak and offers many customizable options for each angler’s preferences.
This post dives into the pros and cons I have found while using the Jackson Coosa FD Kayak and how you can set this kayak to best suit your needs.
Jackson Coosa FD Kayak Specs
The specs for the Jackson Coosa FD Kayak are:
- Length: 12′ 7″
- Weight: 105-115 lbs. (105 without the flex drive and raised seat)
- Propulsion: Pedal Drive (called the flex drive)
- Max Weight Capacity: 450 lbs.
Jackson Coosa FD Kayak Review Video
This video provides a comprehensive look at the Jackson Coosa FD Kayak and the different ways you can set it up.
Check out my full review here:
Jackson Coosa FD Review: Pros
I like this kayak for a variety of reasons and it has served me well as a fishing vessel for the past couple of months. My top pros for using this kayak include:
- Very Stable – This kayak has great stability and allows me to stand up to fish easily. It also allows me to go from a sitting to standing position and vice versa with no issue.
- Flex Drive Function and Design – The flex drive gives me more freedom to use my hands while fishing and spend less time positioning the kayak and paddling. The kayak is also well designed to where you can access the necessary flex drive parts while kayaking to remove any weeds or debris that gets caught in the prop.
- Customizable Options – Almost everything on the kayak is removable and adjustable, from the rudder to the raised seat. You can set up the kayak in the way you want and easily add additional equipment such as GoPro mounts.
- Jackson Kayak Customer Service – Jackson not only provides a quality product, they also offer exceptional customer service. If you have any issues with your kayak, the people at Jackson are eager to help you find a solution.
Jackson Coosa FD Review: Cons
Although I have thoroughly enjoyed my Coosa FD, there are a couple drawbacks to this kayak:
- Weight – This is a heavy kayak at 105-115 pounds and not easily moved around with one person.
- Aluminum Seat – The seat that comes with the kayak is made out of aluminum and is not the strongest material. Friends of mine have had issues with the seat bars bending on them and getting out of shape.
- Tackle Box Tray Under Seat – The tackle box tray under the seat can be useful, but it also takes up a lot of space and can actually block you from being able to open the hatch to the pedal drive in some settings. This can be fixed by removing the tray.
- Rudder System Tracking – One of the biggest issues I’ve had with my kayak is the rudder system not tracking, meaning that when I take my hands off the rudder control levers the kayak will begin turning.
Note: We’d love to hear your thoughts on your Jackson Coosa FD, so please leave a comment down below to share your experiences with these kayaks.
Although there are some cons to this kayak, the usability and design of the Jackson Coosa FD is top notch and provides a great fishing vessel for anglers.
The customizable options also meets the needs of almost any angler, making this an extremely versatile kayak.
If you’ve used the Jackson Coosa FD Kayak, let us know what you think of it by commenting below.
Do YOU Want New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).