Living on an Island the Entire Month of March for the Wounded Warriors…
By: Joseph Simonds on February 3, 2015
On February 1st, 2015 my brother Luke and I announced some Exciting (and wild) news…
We announced that we would be living on a small island (only accessible by boat) for the entire month of March.
Leaving behind the real world, my leaving my wife and two daughters for an entire month, all for one heck of a great cause…The Wounded Warrior Project.
(For those of you looking for the dedicated March Fishing Madness: Warrior Strong Page, click here)
(For those of you looking for the dedicated “Get the Wounded Warrior & Salt Strong on the Ellen Degeneres Show, click here)
The Wounded Warrior Project
Ever since I came across the touching and emotional story of wounded warrior Taylor Morris that I wrote about here, I knew that I wanted to do something BIG for the men and women in the military that risk their lives for us, and for our FREEDOM.
And when I told Luke we should do something to raise money and awareness for the Wounded Warriors, he was all in.
The only problem was that we didn’t know what we should do in terms of a money raising event.
We aren’t into jogging/running (many of the Wounded Warrior charity events are 5k’s, 10k’s, or other races), we didn’t really want to do a big golf event (although we do enjoy golf), but we do love fishing…however, we had never heard of anyone doing a Wounded Warrior Project charity event around fishing…
So we created one…a really unique one in fact…and we called it “March Fishing Madness: Warrior Strong”
March Fishing Madness: “Warrior Strong”
Here are the details of this one of a kind Wounded Warrior Charity event called “March Fishing Madness: Warrior Strong”
- Luke and I will be living on a small, 7-mile stretch of an island (only accessible by boat) off the coast of Florida called Little Gasparilla Island
- We will not get on the mainland (expect for a brief deposit of trash on the mainland as we can’t let a month’s worth of trash at the small place we are staying in on the island) for the entire month
- We will be donating $5,000 of our own money to the Wounded Warrior Project
- We will be donating a fishing trip to a Wounded Warrior for 2 nights/3 days while we are down there (all-expense paid trip)
- We will even be interviewing some of the most well respected, well known, influential, and entertaining anglers, fishing guides, and people that have contributed to the fishing community while we are down there, so that we may reach as many audiences as we can with this great cause
- Finally, we are going to do everything in our power to get this featured on the Ellen Show to really get the Wounded Warriors in the spotlight as much as possible (to see our video series to Ellen, click here).
Please make sure to follow us, donate to the Wounded Warriors, and leave any comments showing your support for our troops!