Stealth “Quick Release” Fishing Rod Holder For Kayaks [REVIEW]
About a month ago, Luke and I found ourselves at a local kayak fishing tournament weigh-in here in Tampa so we could meet Strong Angler Tony Acevedo for the first time.
Well, not only did we get to meet Tony (and fellow Salt Strong Ambassador Hernan Lezama), but we also were introduced to an interesting “quick release” fishing rod holder by a new brand called Stealth Rod Holders.
Now we’ve seen a lot of different rod holders over the years, but the part that caught our attention about these rod holders was the following three benefits (that are also outlined on the Stealth Rod Holder website):
- Quick Release: This unique rod holder has a crazy grip system that holds your rod in place, while at the same time “releasing” it right back to you the instant you pull back on it (to set the hook, fight a fish, etc.)
- Less Vibration: Since the Stealth rod holder is gripping your rod so tight, there is no vibration or rattling of your fishing rod when you are trolling, reeling in while keeping your rod in the rod holder, etc.
- Control: Since you never really have to keep your rod strapped down with the Stealth, you always have control of your rod at your fingertips. As you know, control of your rod is critical when fishing.
Pros Of The Stealth Quick Release Rod Holder
- Easy to use – Once you have this rod holder in the base, even a kid could easily use this (but definitely takes an adult to install the base if your kayak doesn’t have a Scotty base or any other related rod holder base mount).
- It really does release super quickly. As you will see in the video review below, this Stealth rod holder releases the second you lift up on it.
- Built tough. According to the Stealth website, it is constructed from heavy duty nylon and engineering grade weather resistant elastomers. I’m no engineer, but it does feel like it’s made of pretty legit material.
- The extra spinning reel notch (see video below) is pretty cool for anglers that want to keep the spinning reel closer to them in a kayak or need to constantly adjust their line
- It held my spinning reel so tight that I really couldn’t pull it out no matter how hard I tried. But as soon as I pulled back towards me, the quick release system worked great
- It should help you catch more fish with the added control and ability to get your rod faster
- It can be used for kayaks or boats, or even a dock (anywhere you can securely mount the base)
- The Stealth rod holder comes with a Lifetime Guarantee. They will replace your Stealth rod holder at any point in the future if you have issues. Pretty strong guarantee.
Cons Of The Stealth Quick Release Rod Holder
- At $22.99 for an individual Stealth Rod Holder (they have bundle deals on multiple rod holders here), it is a few bucks more expensive than your basic kayak rod holder, but then again pretty inexpensive when compared to how much kayak accessories can cost…
- I feel that the strap that is provided gets in the way more than it will ever be used. My personal advice to the manufacturer is to ditch the locking strap and use that as a selling feature. For instance, “The only kayak fishing rod holder so amazing that it doesn’t need a locking strap…”. Perhaps offer it only as an added option for the smaller portion of anglers that really feel they need it.
The Stealth Quick Release Rod Holder Review
Overall, we were impressed with the Stealth Quick Release Rod Holder.
Truth be told, we primarily fish artificial so the main purpose of a rod holder for us is just keeping our rods safe while in transit to the next spot, but for live bait anglers or kayak/boat anglers that troll, this is a pretty sweet piece of gear.
I can only imagine that you will catch more fish compared to a rod holder where you have a latch or locking strap that needs to be moved or removed before you grab your rod.
And at $22.99 for a single Stealth rod holder (without the base), it is priced very affordable. I would gladly pay double for a rod holder that helped me catch more fish and held my rod in place like a vice grip (but still gave you a super quick release).
To see more on Stealth Rod Holders (including all of the different accessories and special deals), click here now.
Have you used the Stealth Rod Holder before? Let us know what you thought of it in the comment section.
Do you have a fishing product that you want us to review? Let us know. We do NOT accept payment for any review so all of our reviews remain independent and fair & balanced.
P.S. – If you think your angler friends or fishing networks would like to see this review, please Tag them or Share this with them. You Rock! Pa-POW!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: