Braid vs. Mono Abrasion Strength Experiment [Vertical & Horizontal Tests]

By: Luke Simonds on December 28, 2017
Found In:

braid vs mono abrasion test

It’s line testing time again!

In this post, you’ll see how the abrasion strength of a fishing line made from braid compared to line made from traditional monofilament.

This has been the most commonly requested test, and I have to admit that I was surprised by the results.

Here’s a quick summary that explains the purpose and structure of the experiment.

Experiment Details

The purpose of this experiment is to see which line can handle getting rubbed up against a rough surface best (aka – abrasion strength).

And given that anglers who use braid often put a mono/fluoro leaders at the end of their lines, I wanted to test how braid holds up to a drag-ripping run around an object in the water such as a piling since that likely will be the most common cause of abrasion in the act of fishing.

But I also wanted to check how the head-shake abrasion (side-to-side movement) compared to that of mono too for those who do tie directly to their lures/hooks when using braid.

So this experiment consists of two tests:

1. Side-to-Side Abrasion Test
  2. Around-the-Piling Test

And I used equivalent lines based on their rated strengths so that there could be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Line Test Results

In order to make sure you could see the exact processed used, I filmed the test and made a quick video.

Click the video box below to watch it:

Note: Please do not hesitate to let me know about any testing suggestions you may have… I want to make sure that these tests are all as helpful as possible.

Conclusion

Monofilament line proved to be much more resistant to abrasion compared to braid in this test.

But this is just one type of surface, so we’ll also need to examine these two lines when faced with different types of surfaces.

More tests will be done in the near future… I just wanted to share this first round of braid vs. mono testing with you now so you can ask any questions or offer suggestions for improving future tests.

For any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment at the bottom of this page.

Fish On!

P.S. – Please be sure to share this post with any of your friends who love fishing.

Prior Leader Testing Posts:

Floyd Noack

Would love to see jerry brown and spiderwire stealth. You guys are awesome btw

Alejandro Carmona
Alejandro Carmona

Dont you think maybe a 10lbs mono should be tested with a 30lbs or so braid since the diameter would be similar.

Floyd Noack

I would have to agree with Alejandro on this one. I use heavier braid 30 to 50 lb instead of 20lb mono. I use it so I don’t have to change line out every year. At least on my baitcasters. For my small spinning setup I use 15lb braid. My saltiga has 100lb braid but that’s a different animal

Richard Beadle
Richard Beadle

I’d really love to see a test on abrasion resistance of different strength braid, for example is there a significant advantage in using 80lb pp over 50lb pp and also the difference in casting distance between the two. Its often a balancing act between the perceived reduction in casting distance and potential improvement in abrasion resistance especially when surf fishing but often these decisions are based purely on anecdotal evidence and not testing.

Dan Friberg

I find braid a lot harder to tie and handle than mono . how about you ?

Dan Friberg

Thanks ,Luke ,Would you use braid for surf and jetty fishing ? What is the best reel,and 2piece rod combo for surf fishing ?

Floyd Noack
Reply to  Dan Friberg

Here in Texas if you’re soaking baits on the bottom the sandbar can cut your braid. I prefer braid for casting distance but inspect your line often. Lots of random break offs.

Lance J Bosma
Lance J Bosma
2 years ago

How about fireline have you tested any of it?

Kali
Kali
2 years ago

How often would you say your line ACTUALLY breaks while fishing?

MICHAEL Drozdowski
2 years ago

Hi, I’ve watched a number of videos re: line strength, abrasion, braid vs. mono vs. fluoro, etc. What are your thoughts on braid color? Does it really matter? I’ve always used the green color, thinking that it would be the least visible to fish. But I see people using the bright yellow, red, mixed colors, etc. Does the color really matter? FYI, I usually start with about a 5′ fluorocarbon leader, use primarily soft plastics which I change out frequently, and sometimes can get down to about a 1′ leader before I re-tie a new leader. So yellow braid with a continuously shortening leader seems like it would be visible to fish. Your thoughts?

Kali
Kali
2 years ago

Do you still use braid fishing line even after the test you performed?? I am thinking of just going to straight mono. What are your thoughts? Thank you soo much for posting that video!

Dan Friberg
Reply to  Kali

I like mono better cause for me its easer to tie and handle .

Mark
2 years ago

How about compromise and just use longer leaders around pilings instead of totally going to mono?

John dixon
2 years ago

I would like to know the diameter of the braid and mono think it will make a difference in the test I have not used mono in a many years now it’s either florocarbon or braid floro for twichbaits and cranks and braid for top water and soft baits just my preference but good test and info

2 years ago

I’m curious to know the diameter of the braid vrs the mono as I think this will also play a huge factor on durability in this test

Ron Whetstone
2 years ago

Luke great video and test. A real eye opener for sure. I would like to see you test multiple pound/diameter braid for abrasion resistance. Like say 30#, 50#, 80# and up as high as you want to go and see if and how much better thicker braid does. The reason would be to see if you can go up in size with your braid for abrasion strength and maybe still be smaller diameter than mono. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Ron Whetstone
2 years ago

Thanks that would be great. Looking forward to it.

John Moore
2 years ago

Love the videos/test…keep coming! I know there are different ways to compare… by diameters, by strength, but I’m not replacing my 20 braid with 4 or 6 lb mono… but would like to see something I might replace it with, like 10 lb. keep up the good work!!!

Dr. Rich
Dr. Rich
2 years ago

You should have tested them against exact diameter of each, not be break strength. Invalid test therefore invalid conclusion. Probably will yield similar results but without testing, it is a Type ONE Error. Love you trying to do a meaningful analysis , keep it up!

George Layton
2 years ago

Mono for docks & trees, braid for more obstruction free water and longer casts. GREAT test Luke !!

Jeremy
2 years ago

Luke, thanks for your test videos along with all the other free videos you still have out. I took my first trip to Florida last march and was able to catch some fish, mostly because of you free material. Thanks again……. I was thinking line diameter also but noticed Keith mentioned it..

Michael Flaschenriem
2 years ago

I would love to see Seaguar Premier tested compared to their Blue/Red label.

Packeryaker
2 years ago

Wow….pretty surprising. I don’t use mono, but assume similar results would be achieved with fluoro. I’ll make sure to have a good 2-3 feet of 20lb fluoro leader ahead of my 10lb braid.

Packeryaker
2 years ago

Right, Luke. I just haven’t had many abrasion related breaks in 12 years of fishing the Nature Coast area, and am much more concerned with achieving maximum invisibility, hence, I’ll continue using fluoro leaders until proven wrong.

2 years ago

Have tested braid and mono extensively and you testing is right on . For all practical purposes
braid had absolutely “NO” abrasion resistance. Consequently I always run at least a 29 foot leader of
either mono ore fluorocarbon. Anyone who runs spectra straight to the hook is sure to demonstrate
whaling and washing of teeth.

Keith Donald

Luke,

Would you say the difference in abrasion resistance seen in this test can be most attributed to the large difference in diameter between the two lines?

If braid and monofilament of equal diameters were compared, what would be the result then? I wonder if braid would test considerably better, and from there you could step down in diameter until you found the braided line size that’s most equivalent to 20 pound mono in terms of abrasion resistance. I wonder how much stronger and thinner that equivalent braid would be…

Keith

Keith Donald

Luke,

I understand that some freshwater bass fisherman fish 50-65lb braid in heavy cover—presumably because its more resistant to abrasion while also being stronger and thinner than monofilament. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen any tests of that, so it be interesting to see that & understand the ratios. Is 65lb braid roughly equivalent to 20lb mono in terms of abrasion resistance, for example?

I guess an all braid setup like that would be an option in saltwater, too, if you still got bites & line visibility wasn’t a concern. I agree comparing to 100lb braid by itself seems absurd.

Keith

Gary
2 years ago

I would not have thought that but it makes sense with the braid having a much smaller diameter.

2 years ago

You said Berkley is the maker of Power Pro, is that true?