Braid vs. Mono Abrasion Strength Experiment [Vertical & Horizontal Tests]

It’s line testing time again!

In this post, you’ll see how the abrasion strength of a fishing line made from braid compared to line made from traditional monofilament.

This has been the most commonly requested test, and I have to admit that I was surprised by the results.

Here’s a quick summary that explains the purpose and structure of the experiment.

Experiment Details

The purpose of this experiment is to see which line can handle getting rubbed up against a rough surface best (aka – abrasion strength).

And given that anglers who use braid often put a mono/fluoro leaders at the end of their lines, I wanted to test how braid holds up to a drag-ripping run around an object in the water such as a piling since that likely will be the most common cause of abrasion in the act of fishing.

But I also wanted to check how the head-shake abrasion (side-to-side movement) compared to that of mono too for those who do tie directly to their lures/hooks when using braid.

So this experiment consists of two tests:

1. Side-to-Side Abrasion Test
  2. Around-the-Piling Test

And I used equivalent lines based on their rated strengths so that there could be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Line Test Results

In order to make sure you could see the exact processed used, I filmed the test and made a quick video.

Click the video box below to watch it:

Note: Please do not hesitate to let me know about any testing suggestions you may have… I want to make sure that these tests are all as helpful as possible.

Conclusion

Monofilament line proved to be much more resistant to abrasion compared to braid in this test.

But this is just one type of surface, so we’ll also need to examine these two lines when faced with different types of surfaces.

More tests will be done in the near future… I just wanted to share this first round of braid vs. mono testing with you now so you can ask any questions or offer suggestions for improving future tests.

For any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment at the bottom of this page.

Fish On!

P.S. – Please be sure to share this post with any of your friends who love fishing.

Prior Leader Testing Posts:

Floyd Noack

Would love to see jerry brown and spiderwire stealth. You guys are awesome btw

Alejandro Carmona

Dont you think maybe a 10lbs mono should be tested with a 30lbs or so braid since the diameter would be similar.

Floyd Noack

I would have to agree with Alejandro on this one. I use heavier braid 30 to 50 lb instead of 20lb mono. I use it so I don’t have to change line out every year. At least on my baitcasters. For my small spinning setup I use 15lb braid. My saltiga has 100lb braid but that’s a different animal

Richard Beadle

I’d really love to see a test on abrasion resistance of different strength braid, for example is there a significant advantage in using 80lb pp over 50lb pp and also the difference in casting distance between the two. Its often a balancing act between the perceived reduction in casting distance and potential improvement in abrasion resistance especially when surf fishing but often these decisions are based purely on anecdotal evidence and not testing.

Dan Friberg
2 years ago

I find braid a lot harder to tie and handle than mono . how about you ?

Dan Friberg
2 years ago

Thanks ,Luke ,Would you use braid for surf and jetty fishing ? What is the best reel,and 2piece rod combo for surf fishing ?

Floyd Noack
Reply to  Dan Friberg

Here in Texas if you’re soaking baits on the bottom the sandbar can cut your braid. I prefer braid for casting distance but inspect your line often. Lots of random break offs.

Lance J Bosma
2 years ago

How about fireline have you tested any of it?

Kali
3 years ago

How often would you say your line ACTUALLY breaks while fishing?

MICHAEL Drozdowski
3 years ago

Hi, I’ve watched a number of videos re: line strength, abrasion, braid vs. mono vs. fluoro, etc. What are your thoughts on braid color? Does it really matter? I’ve always used the green color, thinking that it would be the least visible to fish. But I see people using the bright yellow, red, mixed colors, etc. Does the color really matter? FYI, I usually start with about a 5′ fluorocarbon leader, use primarily soft plastics which I change out frequently, and sometimes can get down to about a 1′ leader before I re-tie a new leader. So yellow braid with a continuously shortening leader seems like it would be visible to fish. Your thoughts?

Kali
3 years ago

Do you still use braid fishing line even after the test you performed?? I am thinking of just going to straight mono. What are your thoughts? Thank you soo much for posting that video!

Dan Friberg
2 years ago
Reply to  Kali

I like mono better cause for me its easer to tie and handle .

Mark
3 years ago

How about compromise and just use longer leaders around pilings instead of totally going to mono?

John dixon
3 years ago

I would like to know the diameter of the braid and mono think it will make a difference in the test I have not used mono in a many years now it’s either florocarbon or braid floro for twichbaits and cranks and braid for top water and soft baits just my preference but good test and info

3 years ago

I’m curious to know the diameter of the braid vrs the mono as I think this will also play a huge factor on durability in this test

The One Rule That Will Change The Way You Fish [90-10 Fishing Rule]

Do you want to stop wasting time fishing in dead zones? This article tells you how to use the 90-10 fishing rule to revolutionize how to find fishing spots.
No comments

How To Retrieve A Weedless Spoon To Get More Strikes [Case Study]

How much do you think the retrieve with a weedless spoon matters? It turns out, it matters a ton! Check out this video for 1 simple change that can...