The Ultimate Snook Release (Over 2,000 Snook In A Day)!
What a sight to see!
We had the opportunity to go behind the scenes with MOTE Marine and FWC for a huge snook release.
The best news is that we documented the entire thing so you can hear (and see) exactly how they reproduce fish and where we released them.
If you’ve ever been curious about snook and redfish farms, you’re going to love this!
Check it out below!
You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I highly recommend), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
The Ultimate Snook Release [VIDEO]
The Ultimate Snook Release [PODCAST]
- HOW TO QUICKLY FIND INSHORE FISHING SPOTS (BASED ON TIDES & WIND)
- WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN USING TOPWATER LURES (LIVE FISHING TRIP)
Here’s a timestamped table of contents:
- 1:58 – We’re at MOTE Marine to release 2,200 baby snook!
- 2:31 – The size of snook that they like to release
- 3:11 – Tag types that MOTE uses to track the snook
- 3:56 – Lifelong tags allow MOTE Marine scientists to pull data from snook they have released years ago
- 5:27 – Spawning efforts have helped produce 10,000 fish in this amount of time
- 6:07 – Watch the process of scanning tags
- 7:11 – The scanners pick up the behavioral patterns of the tagged snook
- 9:32 – Snook like calm, still water (remember that)
- 10:42 – Why spaghetti noodles are in the snook water…
- 11:31 – Everything that happens at MOTE Marine
- 11:52 – MOTE Marine is creating sustainable fish for the dinner plate too
- 13:25 – What is photothermal manipulation? And how it sets the mood.
- 14:27 – Feeding monster redfish by hand
- 16:23 – Stock enhancements and genetics play into where they can be released
- 18:35 – The size of snook eggs is insane!
- 20:02 – A social hierarchy forms in the tanks
- 22:06 – The cost of the research and the issues that will need to be addressed
- 22:50 – How MOTE Marine maximizes the chance of survival for released fish
- 27:06 – The Release!
Check out MOTE Marine & MOTE Aquaculture in Sarasota!
Understanding how MOTE Marine creates these new populations of snook and redfish gives us perspective on how precious our fisheries are.
And as an angler, this experience was so special to be part of!
Have you visited MOTE Marine before?
Let me know about your experience down in the comments!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: