Saltwater Fishing Tackle Mistakes: A Guide For Newbies
Note: This blog post on Saltwater Fishing Tackle Mistakes was originally posted on April 20, 2021, but we’re sharing it with you again so you can avoid making these same mistakes. Oh, and be sure to check out all of the HELPFUL comments below this article!
It’s time to avoid these saltwater fishing tackle mistakes!!!
As anglers, we’ve all purchased fishing tackle that doesn’t work (some of us more than others).
You know what I’m talking about…
Strolling down the aisle of your local bait and tackle shop, you spot the bright orange lure that you saw on last week’s episode of Fishing with (insert your favorite TV fishing personality) and you’ve just got to have it.
You are now suffering from S.O.S. or Shiny Object Syndrome.
But there is good news: we have the cure.
Listen in as we break down all of the major mistakes that we’ve made when it comes to buying fishing tackle and a few mantras that you should learn to be a more successful angler.
You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I definitely recommend), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
Saltwater Fishing Tackle Mistakes [PODCAST]
- WHY MANY OF THE MOST REALISTIC SALTWATER LURES DON’T WORK…
- IS YOUR SPINNING REEL REALLY MADE FOR SALTWATER? FIND OUT…
Here’s a timestamped table of contents from our conversation about…
- 0:33 – Are you overspending, going way too big, and buying way more than you need?
- 1:56 – Buy a reel for the kind of fishing you plan to do
- 4:03 – Line mistakes that hurt your casting distance
- 4:52 – Are you hunting elephants?
- 6:04 – Line capacity vs. gear ratio
- 9:07 – Do you have fisherman’s eyes? Buy fewer lures.
- 12:34 – Focus on depth coverage and weight
- 14:21 – You must use live bait to catch fish
- 18:34 – Bare minimum fishing to be a better angler
- 23:31 – The reason we do not have sponsors
- 29:14 – Fair and balanced business practices, always
- 31:48 – Use the right lure, at the right time, in the right spots
- 35:30 – Focus on the trends and finding the fish
- 37:11 – Flouro vs. mono
- 39:35 – Learn to tie your own rigs and know your knots
- Check out our knot tests and learn how to tie the strongest knots here
- 45:36 – Use the K.I.S.S.S method: keep it simple Salt Strong
- Pro tip: these Plano Boxes keep you organized and can be customized.
- 50:14 – Are you tired of the negativity on Facebook?
Come be part of something truly special and join the Insider Community where we:
- Unite all anglers
- Support each other like family
- Share information
- Don’t tolerate non-sense or negativity
- Consistently catch more fish!
Saltwater Fishing Tackle Mistakes [VIDEO]
Being a newbie to fishing certainly has its challenges when it comes to tackle and honestly, we are all still learning.
The important thing to focus on is keeping it simple and mastering what you know works.
Repeat after me: simplicity & specialist.
What are some of the mistakes you made when you started fishing?
If you’re new to fishing, do you have questions about anything to get started?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know someone who’s just getting started fishing, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: