Easiest Way To Tie A Donkey Rig [The Double Leprechaun]

The video below will show you the easiest way to tie a donkey rig using the style we call the “double leprechaun”.

This lure setup is extremely effective for covering shallow grass flats for seatrout, redfish, snook, and flounder because it draws a lot of attention with a lot of great looking darting motions under the water.

While testing this out, I’ve been extremely impressed with how many fish this can catch when retrieved over grass flats.

In particular, seatrout go absolutely crazy over it sometimes even enabling two fish to be caught on a single cast.

Here’s a video showing the easiest way to tie a donkey rig:

➡ Click here claim your free pack of Alabama Leprechauns

➡ Click here buy more Alabama Leprechauns

Equipment Used In This Video:

Conclusion

The double leprechaun rig can be a great way to catch a lot of fish when out on the shallow flats given the great action these lures have when retrieved through the water.

The pros is that it’s easy to tie, generates a lot of action, and enables the opportunity to catch 2 fish on 1 cast.

The cons are that it requires more energy to retrieve given the increased water drag, it can increase the odds of getting hooked since there’s another hook swinging around, and they can get tangled up when unhooking fish.

I hope you decide to give this unique rig a try if you haven’t already done so.

Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions below using the Comment section below.

And if you’ve used this rig before, please let us know the weights you’ve found to work best.

Tight Lines!

James e Hunt

It appears that the owner 3/16 comes with 4/0 hook vice 3/0. It probably wouldn’t make any difference or I guess one could use 1/16 and 1/8 which are both 3/0 (I am a picker of knits). I will be ordering a couple of the owner packs soon since I cant find them locally. We don’t have much in the way of salt flats here in San Diego, but I probably would use them in Mission Bay or possibly shallow end of San Diego Bay. Would these work in fresh water lakes? I am thinking of Lake Hodges in North San Diego which has good sized Florida Bass
and oops…..I did not read far enough as you already addressed the misquote on hook sizes below. My bad.

Last edited 1 year ago by James e Hunt
Billy Ackerman

Ah. One more question. Up here in NJ I think we fish a little deeper. I imagine just upping the weight until we get into the bottom. Maybe use a jig head?

Billy Ackerman

This looks fun. But I have 2 questions

1. I don’t use swivels much anymore so I’m unsure how to tie the surgeon loop direct to braid. I just picture the braid cutting through the loop. Suggestions?

2. Would paddletails work too? I imagine it would

Billy Ackerman

That’s the knot I was thinking of using. It doesn’t slice through the leader material? I’ll trust you. You never steered me wrong

Thanks

SaltStrong!!

Mark Harris

I have used this type rig for years. Talking going back to the 60’s on the Gulf coast of Texas. We called them speck rigs. I still have a couple packs from early 70s. Back the we always caught doubles.

Rick
Reply to  Mark Harris

Love Lures tandem speck rigs. Use to be the standard.

Bill Cox

Can you troll with the Leprechaun rig?

Bill Cox

Thank you.

Randy High

Outstanding tip, I will be trying this rig soon. One question though, what keeps the two baits get twisted and tangled?

Randy High

Thanks Luke, this rig should killem.

STEPHEN BLOSSOM

I have been tying these for about 5-6 years now. I had an old timer who calls himself the “trout master” here teach me. and they WORK, any soft bait, any jig head. I have had plenty of double hookups with specks and even had a few doubles with Spanish mackerel.

David Wamsley

Hi Luke:
I am going to try this rig but your presentation was a little confusing.
Not to be critical but 1/8 oz. is not heavier than 3/16 oz. Looks like you have a 1/16 and 1/4 oz. Owner 3/0 hooks?
Good presentation

Anthony Bishop

Used to be called a spec rig back when

Robert A Douglas

Would you still use the twitch twitch rest method or is it better to constantly twitch the rod while reeling the lure in? Also, I would love to see a fishing video of this rig being used. I’m definitely going to try this rig with the Slam Shady and bucktails I have.

Last edited 1 year ago by Robert Douglas

Interviewing The Most Interesting Fishing Captains In America…

Do you love fishing? Love hearing amazing stories and lessons learned from fishing guides? Then you're going to love this episode with Captains Collective.
No comments

Shark Repellent: New Product Made To Scare Sharks Away!

Sick of getting your fish eaten by sharks? This new shark repellent might keep your catch safe from sharks while also attracting your target species.
1 comment