Does Mono Actually Float? (Fluorocarbon vs. Monofilament Contest)

Fluoro Vs Mono Float Test

Does mono float or sink?

What about fluorocarbon line?

Does it sink or float?

There’s a lot of misunderstanding in the fishing industry regarding this question, so I decided to do a side-by-side comparison of how fast monofilament sinks (if it does at all) compared to fluorocarbon.

I compared how they do in saltwater and tried several different diameters of fishing line so that my results could be as accurate as possible.

Want to see the results?

Check our newest experiment below.

Fluoro vs. Mono Sink Test [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to claim your FREE pack of Slam Shady paddletails

Here are the results of the test:

30 lb Monofilament (Ande): Sink rate of 5.0 seconds

30 lb Fluorocarbon (Vanish): Sink rate of 2.1 seconds

20 lb Monofilament (Berkley): Sink rate of 5.5 seconds

60 lb Fluorocarbon (Seaguar): Sink rate of 1.3 seconds

Here’s what we learned from this experiment:

1. Monofilament does not float
  2. The diameter of the material matters (thicker line sinks quicker)
  3. Fluorocarbon sinks ~2.5x faster than monofilament. This matters more if you’re using one of these as a main line, but probably not as much if you’re using one of them for just leader material with braided line for your main line.

Conclusion

luke simonds salt strong redfish

Contrary to popular belief, monofilament actually does sink, although it sinks a little slower than fluorocarbon.

Have you found anything different than the results I got?

Let me know in the comments below!

For more experiments like this, you can see all of our fishing line tests here.

And if you know someone who thinks mono floats, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club.

Stop Wasting Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Jeffrey Dudenhefer
Jeffrey Dudenhefer

Thanks Luke, appreciate the efforts to save us money.

Jerry Dexter
Jerry Dexter

Thanks Luke

Steve Perry
Steve Perry

With all due respect, your test is a bit misleading. I’ve got over 20 years fly fishing, mostly freshwater, and believe your premise for the discussion is off. Yes, Mono sinks. Issue is Mono floats much better on the surface of water than does fluorocarbon. The composition allows it to float better. The relative diameter of mono is greater. Having spent 20 years regularly using both, the way to go is if you want your leader on the surface, use Mono. Ginking up mono helps with the floatation as well. Subsurface, use fluoro if you are concerned about abrasion. I nearly always use fluorocarbon at the end of my leader because the diameter is less and it is more abrasion resistant. Believe you did a test on abrasion resistance between the two and I’ll tell you there absolutely is a difference between the two.

Luke, appreciate the response. Agree that float-ability is mainly important in the fly fishing world. Applies for dry flies as well as when indicators are used. Often times, you can use an indicator and suspend a fly below. Example in salt could be something like a shrimp pattern. Mono will absorb water, which is why most folks will gink up the leader to help it float after a bit of use. My conclusion on fluoro being more abrasion resistant is based on experience. Have fished many areas where mono would get chewed up by bottom structure such as rock, where the fluoro would show minimal wear. Nothing scientific to it, just what has worked. I’m all for using something that’s cheaper if it works, but where there’s a chance of abrasion, I’ll stick with the fluoro at the terminal end personally. I’ve seen the video you did. Just not sure the test is accurate for realistic conditions. Love all the work you all are doing, I’m just in a bit of disagreement when it comes to your presentation of mono vs fluoro.

David Bates
David Bates

Why floro vs mono for leader?

Capt. Ray Markham
Capt. Ray Markham

Did you take into consideration that the longer your mono is in water the more water it absorbs? IGFA tests both a wet and dry strength of lines they test for world records because of that factor. I’m sure it might also affect sink rates. Fluro is said not to absorb water and this shouldn’t be affecting sink rates when wet vs. dry.

William Brown
William Brown

Did you test with line that has been in the water for a while or just with dry line off the spool?

Lee Chaney
Lee Chaney

What was the total dissolved solids test of the compatible water?

Mark Borchelt
Mark Borchelt

why can we see the mono and fluorocarbon equally well? I thought the advantage of floor is that it matches the optical density of water making it virtually invisible in water?.

RICHARD FIORENTINO
RICHARD FIORENTINO

Thanks Luke. Are you still using spool line mono for your leader versus mono or flouro leader marketed line?

Gary Brady
Gary Brady

This is more of a problem for freshwater flyfishing when using 10 ft leaders. Fluoro will definitely drag down small dry flies, hook size 16 and smaller. As for inshore spin fishing I agree with you, they are similar.

Gary Rankel
Gary Rankel

Hey Luke……..I’ve been using the 20lb Seaguar Gold Label Fluoro which, at 0.014″, is a bit thinner for the same test fluoros and monos of other brands. Seems to me that it should, therefore, be the least visible. What think you? I’m assuming it’s just as strong as other 20lb leaders, but proving so may be a good future test for you to do.

Anthony Aultman
Anthony Aultman

Good test. that will help.

I use fluoro for my leader and uni knot it to my braid. This is the least visible, strongest knot I have found. What kind of knot did you use for the braid/leader connection in the demonstration?

William Brown
William Brown

The FG is easy to tie with thick lines, but I have found it difficult to tie on leader smaller than 30#. Thickness of the braid doesn’t seem to matter much.

James Rahn
James Rahn

But I could see both! Nothing was invisible….????????????

James Rahn
James Rahn

I’m so crushed, such false advertisement! Lol

Sam Craparo
Sam Craparo

I use short mono leader for top water longer floro for all sinking lures. Seemed to work so I kept using it. Great job as always. Did you notice if the floro was “invisible “ or significantly less visible than mono.

Sam Craparo
Sam Craparo

Thanks. Like when you debunked the fact that floro was more abrasions resistant than mono. Keep up the good work. Your the best. And Joe’s ok to ha ha.

jim woodmansee
jim woodmansee
Reply to  Sam Craparo

smile

Thomas Marks
Thomas Marks

Luke, seeing is believing! Good test. Thank you for showing us.

Thomas Manley
Thomas Manley

So Luke, are you changing to Flouro Leader now? that test that you conducted was outstanding. I know some people would think it wouldn’t be worth the effort but, I see the point for sure. Thank you so much for proving this out that Fluro will sink faster than Mono and that in reality it isn’t much compared to the amount of Fluro you use. Great job and thank for still saving me some money.

I learned this the hard way one of my spots I fish I make long cast and drift my bait with the current on a float last year I changed from mono to flor. and starting getting hung on the oysters in the middle of my line /like half way between my float and the tip of my rod /took me forever two figure out my line was just sinking to quickly

Pat Ogletree
Pat Ogletree

Thanks for taking the time to do this. One thing to note, when using topwater the sink rate will make a difference. Fluro does not work as will as mono when using topwater. Some lures in fact like large walkers with three trebles will tangle on every cast if using fluro. But every other situation I would use fluro.

Casey
Casey
Reply to  Pat Ogletree

That’s odd. Haven’t had any problems whatsoever other than the wind making my top waters tumble, or too much of a snap cast causing the lure to also tumble. I’ve found Baitcasters to allow a straighter flight on top waters so I tend to throw them on them now, as well as it forces me to fish a lil slower with inch per turn retrieve not as fast as a spinning reel for most. Always have a nice smooth sweeping cast and they shoot out accurate also.

Pat Ogletree
Pat Ogletree
Reply to  Casey

I’ve switched back to baitcasters too, much better than spinning reels for hard baits. The issue comes for me when I work in pauses to the cadence of the retrieve. If it’s a standard walk the dog bait like a skitter walk of top dog jr and I constantly keep it moving there’s not too much of an issue. But if I pause it or I’m using a popper or prop bait they foul with fluro. No issues with mono at all. What brand fluro are you using?

Casey
Casey
Reply to  Pat Ogletree

I think what’s happening is when you have a retrieve or lure that requires a pause…the lure has too much action slinging forward a bit and might get turned around and just like an anchor dropping on a moving boat it snaps around and throws them trebles right into the leader. Also happens using large diameter leader as well, due to hit not cutting through water as well as smaller diameter and has a bow in it on the sling. Used to have same problem on popping corks, only used 15 to 20lb leaders on them because I only use 8-10lb line anyway and the small H&H with 1/4oz. Used to have all sorts of twists and hang ups on the line until I started using 30 for cork and shrimp so the line will not create as much of a bow to tangle. I use Jline flouro. Tried seaguar, but too expensive and the jline is more abrasion resistant. They also have a softer version which is more like the seaguar, but I prefer the abrasion resistance being able to drop a line size or two and still get the job done without leaving a fish with a hook in it

Pat Ogletree
Pat Ogletree

That’s my guess, the line is sinking down to the hooks. Another advantage of single hook conversion, less to tangle. There are some situations that you’re OK using fluro but I haven’t found a reason not to use mono so I’ll stick with that.

James McManus
James McManus
Reply to  Pat Ogletree

If you do not want tangle your leader in the treble hooks every cast go to a heavier leader say 20 or 25 # test this will eliminate most of all top water hang ups in the front treble hook you can also change the front hook to an in line single hook. Thanks

Pat Ogletree
Pat Ogletree
Reply to  James McManus

Thanks for the response James. I switched to 30 lb mono awhile ago and haven’t had any issues since. I’ve been debating on going down to 20lb but really haven’t seen a reason to. Most of my topwaters have been converted to single hooks, I like those much better. Safer for me and the fish. Again, thanks for response.

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).