How To Safely Store You Rod & Reel For A Long Period Of Time

By: Tony Acevedo on April 16, 2020
Found In:

fishing rod and reel storage

Want to know how to safely store your rod and reel for a long period of time?

Maybe you’re a seasonal angler and have some long gaps in between your trips. Or life gets in the way and you aren’t able to fish for a while.

No matter what the reason is, you’ll see some helpful tips for storing your rods and reels so that they don’t rust away while they’re not being used.

Check out the video below.

How To Store Your Rods & Reels [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to claim your FREE pack of Slam Shady paddletails

Below is a step-by-step process I go through if I’m storing my rods and reels for a prolonged period of time.

Step 1: Rinse everything off

The first thing I do when I get off the water is rinse off my equipment with fresh water.

I just do a light mist on my reel because a strong stream of water can push saltwater farther into the reel, but with the rod, it doesn’t matter as much since there are no internal parts.

After rinsing everything, use a rag to dry it all off.

Step 2: Respool your reel

If I’m putting a reel up for two or three months, I like to respool it.

Saltwater can sit in the line and if it’s sitting there for a few months, it can start to corrode your spool.

So I like to take all of the line off, clean the spool, then put new line on there so it’ll be ready to go when I start using it again.

Step 3: Spray your rod & reel with lubricant

The two types of lubricant I like to use are Corrosion-X and Clenzoil, although I prefer Corrosion-X.

First, I spray the lubricant into all of the moving parts in the reel, including:

• the handle
  • where the arm meets the shaft
  • where the handle connects to the body of the reel
  • where the bail flips open
  • the line roller
  • and any other moving parts on your reel

After I’ve sprayed all of that with the lubricant I use a rag to wipe off the excess.

Then, I’ll spray some lubricant onto a rag and wipe down the entire rod and reel, including the guides and inserts on the rod.

Step 4: Make sure everything is loose

Loosen up your drag, the reel seat locking nuts, and the hook on your hook keeper.

If these pieces are tight, they can lock saltwater in, which can cause corrosion.

Conclusion

storing your fishing rod and reel

If you’re putting up your rod and reel for a while, you want to take a few steps to make sure that they don’t rust while they’re not being used.

Be sure to rinse them off with water, get some lubricant on the moving pieces, loosen the drag and real seat locking nuts.

Have any questions about preventative maintenance and storing your rod and reel?

Let me know in the comments below.

And if you know someone who needs to learn to store their equipment correctly, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and 13,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!

Stop Wasting Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. It’s one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure we’re still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right)?

CARLOS CALZADILLA

Hi Tony, I have viewed many Saltstrong videos and on-line training, your tip on Corrosion X, has been on of the most to dramatically improve the performance of my entire reel collection(not to mention every other tool in the house, that’s been getting the Corrosion X treatment too!!!). I use Clenzoil as well. Thank you so much for one of the best tips I have received from Saltstrong. There is always something new to learn from the Saltstrong team. Keep up the good work, we appreciate your time and efforts in producing the videos.

Peter C

Hi Tony
Several weeks ago, I asked you for the full name of Corrosion X and yes you have replied for which I am grateful I should receive my order of this product from Amazon within the next several days..
I have one other question pertaining to my rod. I have serval 2 piece rods and would like to ask you what should I apply to the area where the 2 pieces of the rod are joined together to make it a one piece.? Many times I find it difficult to dislodge the 2 pieces because they become too tight once assembled.
Any help you can offer is appreciated.
Thank you.
Peter C
pcreanza@yahoo.com

Raymond
Raymond

Is there any reason to remove the spool and clean and lube under it ?

Paul Schroder

Enjoyed the rod/reel maintenance tips. I have this cool little device that I use for misting down my gear. It’s called the aquabot water bottle by Lunatec. You can use it to spray a fine cooling mist on yourself when it’s hot out and a stronger mist to a stream to drink out of or mist down your gear. I also use it for rinsing dishes when we are sailing and conserving water.
The device acts as a kid for a nalgene drinking water bottle. It has a built in pump to pressurize the bottle so you can control how strong a stream you need. Check it out! They are available a lot of places but Amazon is the most popular. I love everything about this tool other than the price. Not horrible but a bit pricey. I like it so much, I have three.

Robert Alexander

I’ve become a big believer in Salt Away. I spray every metal piece on my boat after washing it. I use it after rinsing my reels with fresh water. Then apply Corrosion-X. Finally, I spray with Reel Magic or other line conditioner. Is this overkill? Maybe if I’m using Corrosion-X it also breaks down salt chemically as does Salt Away. I am still using Shimano reels that are over 20 years old.

Steven Free

Yea it’s amazing at how many anglers buy quality tackle but don’t take care of it then complain that the item is defective while everything quality will last a long time care and maintenance still needs to be performed otherwise one will regret it later you don’t buy a car or truck that almost costs a years worth of work pay then don’t change the oil on it when due well the same goes for anything mechanical if it’s mechanical maintenance needs to be performed at some point thanks for the video and all you do😁

Tim Sefried

Tony, I realize this is for long time storage. But what about getting some of the lubricant on the line?
Will it last and the smell scare off fish?

Would you also take of the spool and lubricate the shaft and anything else in that area?

Russ

Tony do you ever spray this on the internal parts of the reel?

Russ
Russ
Reply to  Russ

Tony – Makes total sense, glad I asked.

Peter C

Hi Tony
Please provide me with the full name of Corrosion X product aerosol as it appears on the can’s label. Amazon has various Corrosion X Lubricants listed on their web site. I want to be certain I order the right one.
Thank you your asssitance with this request.
Peter C

Jsans01rt Sans

Would love to see a video on hooks. What hooks to use and when, hook set techniques, etc. I really enjoy the videos, thanks for taking the time and effort to produce them.

James Rahn

Great tips! I need to remember to do this once in a while for my tackle that never gets stored as well. BTW, what rod is that you use?

Great information,I have two rods that are 40 years old and I actually wax them once a year with car wax

tony ellis
tony ellis

good stuff tony thanks for the tips cheers

Robert Peck

Thank you Tony . Great tips .I’m thinking of buying a megaphone in case I’m ever out on the water and need your help . We’re getting 4” of snow tomorrow, need some ?? LOL

Anthony Aultman

I use Rem Oil

Jody Dedmon

Good stuff Tony, learned a few great tips! Thx!

David Wamsley

Thanks for the tips Tony. Greatly appreciated

Glenn Acomb

Are Reel Magic and WD-40 not recommended because they will leave residue on reel and rod?

Robbie

Always loosen your drag after each fishing trip and rinse your equipment and your boat or kayak do all this for longevity

Great White
Great White

EX – video 4 newbies / pros ,Tony

Two or more piece rods.
Cleaning / storage
How too

Fifth paragraph from the bottom “Be sure to rinse them off with saltwater, …” I’m sure you meant ‘fresh water’…

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Anonymous

Great catch… that is now fixed.

Thomas Marks

All good tips, Tony. Thank you!

Dan Kelly

Good suggestions Tony. A few minutes of care result in long lasting equipment.

Justin Rhymer

Should they be stored in ac or is the garage ok?

Justin Rhymer
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Everything grows feet in an open garage in Titusville lol

Coty Walker

Is it bad for a rod to have it leaned against a wall all the time? Will that create a warp?

Coty Walker
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Thanks Tony! I’m gonna look at some rod storage options today.

Raleigh Thomas

Great video! Good gear isn’t cheap, it pays to take care of it. I would suggest taking the reel all the way off the rod, and rinsing/ lube coat the foot of the reel, and inside the reel seat hoods, a bad area for collecting salt. Tight lines!

Elaine Kubena

Great info! Very helpful!

David Huntington

Don’t lubricate ceramic drag discs. They don’t require it

George Layton

Rinse with FRESH water !!! Great info Tony !! Thanks for sharing.