How Alcohol & Anxiety Attacks Almost Took My Life… [Podcast]

By: Joseph Simonds on April 12, 2019
Found In:

whiskey

This week’s podcast episode is like no other episode I’ve done before.

And it’s a tough one to share…

In fact, I actually completely deleted my first recording of it because I was a bit scared to publish this…

But then I received a text from my good high school friend letting me know one of our buddies had taken his own life…

So I got back on the mic to share my 14-year journey of struggling with alcohol, severe anxiety, and bouts of depression…

But I’m also going to share what healed me.

In this episode I talk about:

• My lowest point in struggling with alcohol (how one night started a downward spiral…).
  • Why social anxiety caused me to miss multiple weddings.
  • The simple trick I learned from a freediving class that helped wipe away nearly all of my panic attacks.
  • Why I was lying to everyone and hiding my anxiety (and why you shouldn’t do that!).
  • What has been a HUGE help in curing my anxiety attacks and any thoughts of being down…

If I can help just one person with this episode, then it’ll be a success.

Click the play button below to listen to it here, or listen to it on iTunes or Stitcher.

I’d love to hear your feedback, so shoot me an email or leave a comment below.

Enjoy!

Conquering Alcohol, Depression & Anxiety [Podcast]

fish strong podcast

stitcher fish strong podcast

Note: don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher.

Conclusion

If I can help just one person with this podcast, then I’ve done my job.

Here are some things that have helped me:

• Whenever things get tough, I always remind myself, “This too shall pass.”
  • If I feel an anxiety attack coming on, I slowly breathe in through my nose and feel the air expanding in my stomach, not my chest.
  • I have a strong purpose in my life.
  • Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich helped me realize everything is in my mind.
  • I shared my journey through depression, anxiety, and alcohol to happiness in my book, Fishing For Happinessin hopes of helping others.

If you’re struggling with depression, anxiety, or alcohol, I urge you to share it with someone.

You’d be surprised at how many people are struggling with this, and a simple conversation may be the difference between life and death.

If you want to share it with me, please contact me at my private email joe@saltstrong.com, I’d be happy to talk.

Thanks for listening and if you know someone who could benefit from hearing my story, please share it with them!

Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?

Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!

Here’s what you’ll receive today:

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Related links:

Edward Fruitman
Edward Fruitman

These days we all live rather stressful lives, and whilst some people have this stress much more than others, many of us struggle to cope. While trying to find a way through it all, we turn to methods that help us relax, help us unwind, and in some cases, help us try and forget whatever it is that is stressing us out. Read More

Greg Batchelor

This too shall pass………………………..thanks for sharing your heart my brother

Greg Batchelor

Joe, you are awesome in putting this out there. I have a year totally no alcohol under my belt, I never had a problem with it, but I am sure my son did. My quitting has indirectly caused him to back down from what he had been drinking…….we cover our kids! Thank you Holy Spirit, and thank you for sharing your story

Don Thomas

Joe! Enthusiasm breeds happiness! Thank you letting us know that you are just like everyone of us! We all have struggles. We have people we can count on! Your one of them Joe! Thank you for reaching out to me!

Kevin Rickett

Man, what a powerful story. Thank you so much for sharing, I know that had to be hard all in itself but im sure it will fall on the right ears to let us all know we are not alone in our struggles and God is always there. Thank you and have Blessed day my friend!

Eric Black

Joe, one word – inspiring. My 16-year old daughter has struggled with anxiety and panic attacks since she was a toddler. She’s made some progress, but it’s still a challenge. I’m hoping to get her to listen to this podcast as I think it can help her a lot. Thanks for everything you and Luke do. You really do impact people in many ways.

James McKinney

Thanks for being brave enough to share your story. We are all glad you found the path to manage your issues. I practice fishing as my way of insuring I never let stress invade my life. No better way to celebrate my life than be on the water and I am working to share that love and experience with as many friends and family as possible so they can find what I am blessed to have.

Stay Salt Strong!

Steve Crowder

Great testimony. Hope many people learn from your (and my own) story. Keep up with the great articles.

Jamie Beadle

Thanks for sharing Joe. My daughter has struggled with anxiety and depression since she was pretty young. Took me longer than it should have to accept it as something that could not be reasoned away. Yoga has given her some coping mechanisms, but still a challenge.

Charles PHILLIPPI

Amen brother, and thank you. Fishing for Happiness is a great read. “Ikigai” you have to have it or you need to find it.

Robert A Dyal

Great testament! Some of family has had these issues. Maybe, this will inspire them. Thanks, and LOL in the future.

Bruce Somers

Joe,
Thanks for sharing with us. You do make a difference in our lives. Peace be with you 🙏

Doug R. Duke, Jr.

Great stuff Joe! Thank you for sharing your testimony. I am passing this along to some of my loved ones. Your previous struggles have manifested themselves into your greatest strengths. Some day, I would like to shake your hand. Peace brother!

Todd Ethier

Joe,

I cannot tell you how much your message meant to me. I have such a similar story to yours, so similar it was like you were telling my own.

It would truly be an honor to meet some day on the water.

May the Lord bless you in all you do!!

Marc Floyd

Thanks for sharing. I have never had panic attacks, but my daughter (22) has them and it is a tough thing to see as a dad. At first I got aggravated at her as my feelings were you are not sick. Suck it up and get over it was my motto. Little did I know how bad these attacks are. She paces back and forth for what seems to be hours on end when they come on. I am going to have her listen to your story this weekend. Thanks again

ROY NOBLIN

i did not listen to the pod cast so i do not know what was said. so i will speak from experience. ruffly 50+ years of it. i joined the navy the day after i turned 17, back then we had nam and i think they would let about anyone in good health join. i had drank a little but never smoked but that all changed soon after joining. smoking was the hardest to quit and i still have a glass of wine after supper on occasion. so to make a long story short, i’ll just say i have known a lot more who never quit than i know who didn’t.

ROY NOBLIN
Reply to  Joseph Simonds

thanks joe for you and saltstrong. i fished freshwater all my life and a little salt water but not during hunting season. i spent my life either hunting or getting ready for the next season. due to health problems i had to give up hunting and saw luke on you tube. from there i found saltstrong and it changed my life. my knee had to be replaced, my left eye retina reattached and was told i needed a new liver. long story short i was sinking into depression then my oldest son sent me a picture of a red he caught in a kayak. i quit smoking and drinking and some how with medication the VA gave me, my liver made a turn around. i bough a kayak but the kayak was not one of my better ideas at my age but thank’s to you and this group i learned how to catch fish. so thank you for the support i needed and i will continue to tell everyone i meet about this group. yes i see a little negativity but the support far out weighs that.