The Biggest Boating Mistakes To Avoid (New Boaters Beware!)
If you’ve been on the water lately, you’ve probably noticed WAY more boat traffic!
The market for new boats has absolutely exploded over the past two years.
That also means a lot of new boaters.
And with the massive explosion of new boats and new boaters over the past two years, there has also been an increase in boating accidents, mistakes, long lines at the ramps, and boats stuck on sandbars.
So we brought in a new boating expert (who actually is hired by new boaters to show them the ropes) to discuss the biggest boating mistakes and how you can avoid them.
Check it out below!
You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I highly recommend), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
Biggest Boating Mistakes [VIDEO]
Biggest Boating Mistakes [PODCAST]
- STRIKE SPOTS: NEW TOOL THAT PREDICTS INSHORE FEEDING ZONES
- HOW TO FIND 90% OF ALL FEEDING FISH IN YOUR AREA (90/10 FISHING RULE)
You can follow the timestamped table of contents:
- 1:27 – The Captain’s Coach (How it started)
- 2:54 – The in and out method to start learning
- 3:28 – Pre-purchase mistakes (Safety courses & sizing)
- 4:59 – Make sure the boat fits your needs
- 6:58 – Tons of new boats in the water right now
- 9:07 – Navigation: Huge mistakes that lead to running aground
- 11:51 – Communication: Working as a team and being prepared
- 12:46 – Boat ramp stories & fails
- 15:28 – Practice & Aim Small, Miss Small
- 17:02 – What accessories do you really need?
- 19:57 – Best navigation and depth finders
- 23:39 – Best and worst anchors
- 27:01 – Biggest docking mistakes and tips
- 29:53 – Neutral is your friend
- 32:28 – Don’t be afraid of reverse and know how to use it
- 34:20 – Anchoring at a sandbar
- 36:23 – Know when to ditch
- 38:10 – You are only as good as your first mate
- 39:58 – Boating should not be stressful. If it is, then you need to ask for help!
- 42:47 – How far should you back your trailer in when you are loading your boat?
- 46:39 – Will insurance companies start to require training over and above the Boater Safety Course?
- 47:48 – Just don’t drink when you are operating a boat. (Especially not White Claw. Sorry Wyatt.)
Learn more about The Captain’s Coach here: captainscoaching.com
If you’re going to operate a boat, you must know how to do it safely (and still have fun out on the water)!
And with all of the new boat traffic, it’s crucial to always be prepared, communicate, and know how to handle your boat.
Have any questions about boating?
Would you like to see more boating tips?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know an angler who is a new boater or just bought a new boat, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: