The Secrets To Catching Redfish On The Flats With Cut Bait

If you want to get on some big redfish, then using cut bait is a great option!

And cut mullet is one of my favorite baits for redfish.

But there are some strategies that you’ll need to know if you want to be successful.

So in this video, you’ll learn:

• How to make a simple cut bait rig
  • How to find these fish
  • Best positioning to get fish to strike
  • And more

Check it out below!

Secrets To Catching Redfish With Cut Bait [VIDEO]

Cut mullet is readily accessible.

You can find it at your local bait shop (fresh or frozen).

But fresh is preferred so take your cast net with you if you can.

I really like mullet that are in the 6″ to 10″ range so you can get several baits from one.

Simple Rig For Cut Bait

Keep it simple for the rig and let the mullet do the work!

Use 3 to 4 ft of leader and tie on a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook.

Make sure you match the size of your hook to the size of your baits (not the size of the fish you want to catch).

You can catch really big fish on small hooks!

Here’s what I use for the rig:

You don’t need a weight, just freeline out the chunk of mullet.

Cut a 2″ to 2.5″ piece of mullet.

Hook in through the meat and out through the skin and make sure the hook point is clear of scales.

And if you’re fishing in current, go through the narrower part of the bait so the mullet is more streamlined in the water.

Positioning & Location For Using Cut Bait

Make sure you are in an area where you know there are redfish, otherwise you’ll end up catching some by-catch (like catfish).

You can use an artificial as a search bait to find where fish are holding.

Position yourself up current or upwind from your target area that way the current pushes the bait scent up to the fish.

Pro Tip: Why do I use longer rods on my kayak? I’m typically using anywhere from 7’6″ to 8′ rods. When you have a fish run underneath your kayak, you need the clearance to run your rod around the front or the back of your kayak to effectively land the fish.

Conclusion

best cut bait for redfish

Cut bait is an excellent choice of baits for catching big redfish on the flats.

And if you know the best rig, how to prepare your baits, and how to position yourself, you should be landing a big redfish in no time!

Have any questions about this rig?

Or how to position yourself when using cut bait?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know someone who wants to start using cut bait or needs a simple rigging tip, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Mel Crissey

Tony, as always you have great tips to help us catch more fish.

J Long

Nice Red, Tony! These are great tips. I always used this method off a boat for big bull Reds. Looking forward to trying it on the kayak now.

Bill

Would like to see a video on how to catch mullet either waiting or from a boat, or kayak. I’ve had no trouble catching pinfish or pilchers with a cast net. I always see mullet jumping in the distance but never see them close enough to the cast of them.

Great video… As usual from you guys.

Jacinda Rose

Great tips, Tony! Reminds me of the bull reds I caught in ML.
Seems I’ll never get that castnet to open, so fresh cut mullet is hard to come by for me! I’ll use large chunks of cut pinfish instead & it works great. Snip off the tail & the head & even the fins if I find I’m getting strikes without takers… seems to make a difference when I do.
With cut pinfish, which tend to be much smaller than mullet, I can get away with 2/0 or 3/0 circle hooks.

Mike Foy

Thanks Tony. Enjoyed the instruction and the video. I have some questions in regard to hooks used. Do you exclusively use in line hooks or are there times to use offset? Also what are the hooks sold in the salt strong store- are they inline or offset? Thank you

Jonathan Fortune

Thanks Tony for great video. My baits have been too small (compared to yours). I did this the other day. (Put the baits right next to the edge ) Nothing but catfish. Also how close to the mangroves are you casting the bait to? Thanks

Jack Dickerson

Tony, I guess using larger chunks of bait, helps in getting larger fish?

Philip Stoddard

Good timing. I’ll be trying it out tomorrow morning in Chokoloskee Bay. Fingers crossed.

Jerry Dexter

Thanks Tony, that gives me some ideas

mark cook

Tony, Can you give some advice on how to set the drag? It seemed that you had it set rather light with the catch on the video.

Willie Dickerson
Reply to  mark cook

Mark, here is Austin gave me this on how to set the drag. 2 Ways To Set The Drag On Your Spinning Reel (With & Without A Scale) (saltstrong.com)

How To Catch Big Redfish, Trout, & Snook In Clear, Shallow Water

Do you fish in clear, shallow water? There are big fish here, but they're usually really spooky. See how to catch them in this video. Plus, you'll also...

How To Tie The Redfish Zonker Fly (A 1-Piece Fly)

Want to learn how to tie the redfish zonker fly? This is an incredibly easy fly to tie, plus redfish love it. Learn how to tie it here.