The Best Modified Uni Knot for Braid Line [Strength Test Results]

By: Luke Simonds on May 28, 2015
Found In:

uni knot for braid

Do you want to know the best uni knot for braid fishing line?

So did we.

That is why we decided to do our own tests on modified uni knots for braided line.

But before we reveal the results, let’s talk about the issue at hand so you know exactly why this is so critical to fishing with braid.

The most common problem facing anglers who use braided line is that they use the same fishing knots they learned when using mono.

Why is this a problem? Because many knots that are great with mono are not nearly as good when used with braid given the vast differences in the two line types.

Fortunately, the Uni Knot is one of the most popular knots that performs great with mono as well as braided line.

This is a knot that is very popular given its strength, ease of tying, and it’s ability to be used as a line-to-line knot.

The most commonly taught Uni Knot consists of going through the eye once, making a loop, and then wrapping around/through it 5 times.

However, this is the standard mono style of the Uni Knot, and it may not be quite as effective on braid because braid line does not draw as much friction as mono does… (aka – braided line often requires more wraps to create enough friction to not slip).

So we decided to do some testing to see which style of the Uni has the highest breaking strength when tying a braided line to the eye of a swivel, hook, or lure.

Note: This test is specific only to tying braided line to a swivel, hook, or lure. We personally recommend connecting your braided line directly to a fluorocarbon leader when connecting to your hook/lure in most situations.

Uni Knot Variations

Here’s a quick list of the different styles of the Uni Knot that we tested for its strength on braided line:

1. Once through the eye and then 5 twists
  2. Once through the eye and then 10 twists
  3. Twice through the eye and then 5 twists
  4. Twice through the eye and then 10 twists
  5. Three times through the eye and then 5 twists
  6. Three times through the eye and then 10 twists

Uni Knot Strength Test Results

Not that surprisingly, we found that increasing the twists always increased the breaking strength of the Uni knot. In every test with the eye loop count consistent, the strength increased as more twists were included.

And although it would have seemed as if adding more loops around the eye of the hook would also increase the knot’s breaking strength, it seems as if the twice version provided the most consistently impressive results.

At times, the triple loop version was the winner, but there were times when that style would weaken itself on the final cinch and I couldn’t find a way to get them to consistently pull together in a way that always improved the knot.

Given the added strength of the second loop through the eye in addition to the extra increase in strength of the additional twists, I now believe that the best uni knot version for braided line tied to a swivel, hook, or lure is going through the eye twice and then using 10 or more twists around/through the loop (test #4 above).

How To Tie The Modified Uni Knot

Here is a quick video showing the modified Uni for braided line tied to an eye of a swivel, hook, or lure.

Note: Adding more twists above the 10 twists shown in the video will increase the knot strength. The only downfall on adding more is that it takes a bit longer to tie and can be more difficult to ensure that all of the twists are going in the same direction without wrapping over one another (I typically use anywhere from 10 to 14 twists depending on how much of a hurry I’m in).

Conclusion

Different lines require different knots in many occasions… especially when the line types in question are as diverse as monofilament compared to braid.

Even further, the amount of wraps most certainly makes a difference too… I noticed a ~10% increase in the breaking strength from the standard style to this modified style of the Uni knot when doing this test.

So be sure that you take some time to ensure that your knots are appropriate for the type of line (mono/braid), as well as the type of connection (line-to-leader/line-to-hook/etc.). And set your drag accordingly to ensure you don’t lose the biggest fish of the day due to line breakage.

Note – This test used 10 lb PowerPro braid tied to the eye of a circle hook. Other line types may very well see different results.

Let us know if you find that any other versions of the Uni Knot have better results on braid… we’re always looking for better/newer options.

Go To Our Knot Testing Homepage [Full Knot Rankings]

Don’t let the biggest fish of the day get off with your lure/hook!

Check out these popular knot contests to make sure you’re using the Strongest knot for each connection:

1. Braid to Fluoro Leader Knot (top braid to fluoro connection)
  2. “Loop” Leader to Lure Knot (provides best action to baits)
  3. “Snug” Leader to Hook/Lure Knot (strongest final connection)
  4. Monofilament Line to Leader Knot (top mono to mono connection)
  5. Braided Line to Swivel Knot (for using baits like spoons that twist line)

CLICK HERE to get an email sent to you with links to all of our Best Fishing Knot Contests so you can easily store them for future reference… we’ll also send you the results of future contests as they go live!

KarlShort
KarlShort
2 years ago

I have been using Trilene monofilament line on one of my rods and Spectra Power Pro on my other reel. Both are 30 pound lines. I have been trolling for kins salmon and I noticed that the line has been breaking on the reel that had the braided line but not the other one. I have been tying this knot exactly as the directions show. I decided to test the line and it breaks at 15 to 20 pounds. I don’t know if it is the line or the knot but I am going back to monofilament.

B W
B W
2 years ago
Reply to  KarlShort

You may have gotten hold of some of the knock off imposter Power Pro line. There has been a lot around, especially in online sales. I use Power Pro a lot and it always breaks at WAY over it’s rated strength..

2 years ago

I have been having trouble finding the right knot for braided line on my salmon rod. I have started using the Modified Uni Knot and so far I really like it. I caught a nice king and a silver today and the knot held just fine. I have had some knots fail earlier this year. I am going out again tomorrow and I will see how it works on the second time out.

James
3 years ago

I would like to see if it’s stronger than the doubled uni knot Bassmaster angler of the year 2015 Aaron Martins says is the strongest knot he’s ever tested. He has videos showing how to tie it. I would also like to see how both of these uni knots compare against a polomar tied with 17 Lb mono and floro. Wired2fish also shows how it’s tied in a diagram

Rick L.
Rick L.
3 years ago

What you are tying here is a Fish-N-Fool knot that won knot wars It is the strongest knot there is for braid and mono.

Rick L.
Rick L.
3 years ago

Well you act like you invented this knot and dont give credit to it by using a differant name its still the same knot. with 5 wraps or 10

TIm W
TIm W
Reply to  Rick L.

I know this is over a year old bu sometimes people do things that are so petty and self absorbed they need to be given the attention they so justly deserve. So……

What EXACTLY makes a knot a new knot and or YOUR knot. You could say almost all knots are born out of other knots. Square knot is basically doubling an overhand knot. Mister Overhand must have really got his panties in wad when Mr Square did not give him the proper credit by calling it a double n reversed overhand. Or following your naming convention the twisted doubled hool-a-hoop knot. Given the knot is based on the Uni I am sure Mr Uni will be along soon to bust you a new one for stealing his knot modding it and call it something so descriptive of the knot like he did. Oh wait you called it FishNFool.

Seriously upset because name for your knock off of a modification to a uni knot was not given official credit by someone that is helping the fishing community at whole by offering the info up on his own time and dime. Oh Oh but it won some knot tying contest on the Internet….its famous. i.e. I’m famous!!!!

Luke never made any claims he made the knot. But only gave it a much more descriptive name based on the root knot it was born from. Get a patent if you think you really are the first person to twist some strings together in that combo irregardless for 1000s of yrs people have been foolin with and tying knots and fishing. I can 100% promise you were not alive the first or 100th time this knot was ever first made by someone fiddling with new ways to secure something with cordage. It probably been discovered 100s if not 1000s of time over all the centuries. Jeez there are serious problems in this world ….this ranks with someone left the seat up on the can. Wow just Wow!!

Luke your site is AWESOME. It has helped me a number of times and I’ve learned many new things. Its very much appreciated.

Mike
Mike
Reply to  TIm W

I used this knot while fishing kings. Great knot. I also didn’t see you taking any credit just a good tutorial. Thank you

Hunter Barrington
Hunter Barrington
4 years ago

What is better for connecting braid to braid: the double uni or the FG knot?

Troy
5 years ago

I have been using this knot for years with a slight variation. I use this particular knot in every single application, except when tying a loop knot to an artificial or line to line. The variation in my version is this: When making the second pass through the eye, I dont close the loop that is made down onto the hook. I do make the same loop you make, and essentially wrap the tag around both before tightening/cinching down the knot. Now I have never tested this and don’t know if this is beneficial or detrimental versus the version you show here, but am very curious to the answer to that question. I do know, I NEVER lose fish to knot failure. Have you ever tied it like this, and or tested it? Also, when tying line to line (flouro to braid) I do about 8 wraps, and am usually using 10# Invisibraid and either 15# Seagaur Blue Label or Yozuri 30#, and when tying flouro leader to hook, I only do 2 wraps (sometimes 3 on heavier rigs). Thoughts?

Troy
5 years ago

Awesome. Please let me know how any results pan out if you test it. I have actually used this knot with said 15# leader tied to 65# braid (with more wraps on the leader and less on the main) and gotten hung up, tried to free the snag and snapped the braid before the knot or light leader….( I will only do this if I feel the big fish are being finicky)BTW…..personal tip to you and all of SALTSTRONG COMMUNITY:It is a bold move and a potential voluntary hoss forfiet……… However, to me, more strikes SHOULD equal more lands…..In the aforementioned comment, I talked about 15# vs 30# flouro.I love approaching a new (or even well known) dock or structure with a very light (15#) leader. I have experienced twice the hookups since doing this, and unfortunately twice the loss, AND twice the landed fish. If i get consistent strikes and broken off snook on a particular structure using 15, I then and ONLY then go to 30# Leader.I hate losing good fish, but love hooking up with them vs not getting a bite and having no chance. Circle hooks work well with light leader especially.

Wayne
5 years ago

I form a loop with a double surgeons knot and then use the doubled line to tie the uni knot I still use 6 twists