How To Tie The Non-Slip Loop Knot (Plus Top 3 Mistakes To Avoid)

best loop knot

The Non-Slip Loop Knot

The Non-Slip Loop Knot is a MUST KNOW knot for fishermen who use artificial lures.

This is my favorite loop knot for connecting to lures because it:

• Is very fast and easy to tie
  • Has a strong breaking strength
  • Leaves a weedless tag end

In general, loop knots are extremely valuable to fishermen who use artificial lures because a good loop knot will help generate more strikes since it enables the lures to have more action in the water.

In this article, we show you the step-by-step instructions with pictures on how to tie the Non-Slip Loop Knot.

Plus, you can see a detailed video at the bottom of this article that shows it all done very close up with actual fishing line so that you can see all of the steps in action.

➡ CLICK HERE to get a FREE PDF guide showing all of these essential steps on tying this knot so that you can have a printout whenever you need it.

Step-By-Step Instructions

Here are the core steps for tying the non-slip loop knot. This loop knot can be used for any type of mono/fluoro fishing line.

Note: We are using a fluorocarbon leader line in the tutorials below, and we connecting it to a topwater plug in this application.

Step 1: Make an Overhand Loop

Make an overhand loop about three to four inches up from the tag end of your line. Make sure the top side of your overhand loop is pointing up toward the main line.

step 1 non-slip loop knot

Step 2: Pull the Tag End of Line Through the Eye of the Lure

Pull the tag end of your leader line through the eye of your lure.

Step 2 of the non-slip loop knot
Step 2: Pull the tag end through the hook eye.

Step 3: Pull Your Tag End Through the Downward Side of Your Overhand Loop

Pull your tag end through the downward facing side of the overhand loop you made in Step 1. Pull both the tag end and main line until your overhand loop slides down to the hook eye. Pinch the overhand loop with your thumb and index finger.

Step 3 of the Non-Slip loop knot

step 3.1 of the non-slip loop knot

step 3.2 of the nonslip loop knot
Step 3: Pull the tag end through the overhand loop and pull the two lines until the loop slides down to the hook eye.

Step 4: Make 3-4 Wraps With the Tag End Around the Main Line

Use the tag end to make three to four wraps up the main line. Make sure all your twists go in the same direction up the main line.

step 4 of the non-slip loop knot

step 4.1 of the non-slip loop knot
Step 4: Use the tag end to make three to four wraps around the main line.

Step 5: Pull the Tag End Back Through the Loop

Pull the tag end from the top back through the upward facing side of the overhand loop. Pull the main line and tag end to make the knot finger tight.

step 5 of the non-slip loop knot

step 5.1 of the non-slip loop knot
Step 5: Pull the tag end through the overhand loop and pull the tag and main line to make the knot finger-tight.

Step 6: Wet and Cinch Knot, Cut the Tag End

Wet the knot with either water or spit. Let go of the tag end and pull the main line tight to cinch the knot. Cut the tag end of the line. Your Non-Slip Loop Knot is now complete.

step 6 of the non-slip loop knot

non-slip loop knot
Pull the knot tight and cut the tag ends. Your Non-Slip Loop Knot is complete.

The Non-Slip Loop Knot Tutorial Video

The video below shows the entire process on how to tie the Non-Slip Loop Knot.

If you follow the directions in the video above, you’ll be able to the tie the non-slip loop knot like a pro.

However, every so often people make a mistake when tying this knot and it could lead to things such as a weaker knot, a less weedless knot, or even a knot that can get tangled up in the lure and pretty much guarantee that you won’t catch fish.

Check out the video below to see the most common non-slip loop knot mistakes.

3 Common Non-Slip Loop Knot Mistakes

Here are the three most common mistakes people make when tying this knot:

Mistake #1: They put the line through the wrong end of the loop.

When you do this, the tag end won’t point down neatly toward the lure, making it more weedless.

Instead, the tag end will stick out to the side, making it more prone to snag grass as you retrieve your lure.

Of course, if you snag grass, you most likely won’t catch any fish.

And not only that, but it will also make the knot weaker.

Mistake #2: Making the loop too big.

When you tie this knot, the loop should be about the size of an M&M.

If you make it too big, it could get tangled around the hook, lure, or jig head, also making it unlikely for you to catch fish.

Mistake #3: Using this knot for all purposes.

This knot should only be used when you’re using a lure that needs extra action and when the lure you’re tying to doesn’t have a split ring.

It’s great for tying to jig heads or hard plastics that don’t have split rings, but if you’re using live bait, or tying to a lure that does have a split ring, then you’re better off going with a snug knot, like the Palomar knot.

Conclusion

The Non-Slip Loop Knot is a knot that I think every angler should know.

It is incredibly strong and gives your lures and baits great action and movement.

While there are simpler loop knots you can tie, nothing compares to what the Non-Slip Loop Knot offers anglers.

If you want to learn more about the best fishing knots, check out our guide to the strongest fishing knots of all time.

If you have any questions or comments about this knot, let us know in the comments section below.

Tight Lines!

Go To Our Knot Testing Homepage [Full Knot Rankings]

I am surprised that you recommend spit as the lubricant for this or any knot. In this same email you describe negative scents one of which is human scent. Surely we should use the water we are floating on for lubrication. Taken to the ultimate level we should use surgical rubber gloves dipped in tuna oil or chum to ensure no contamination of the lure and add a positive scant. What do you think? What about a trial to see if there is any difference?.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Anonymous

Human’s scent from skin is a negative, but human saliva tested to be a positive per the research that we discussed in the podcast video.

Adam GOetz
Adam GOetz

I notice that when you go back through the loop, you go through the overhand knot itself, but other online diagrams show that you pass back through outside of the actual overhand knot. My loop knots are usually crooked, I wonder if that is why…

Caden Kaufman
Caden Kaufman

Great article! Could ya’ll review the Jx4 braid, by daiwa.

Alex
Alex

Many thanks Luke, I had used this knot today and got my first ever fish by lure!!

Rick Trester
Rick Trester

How about showing us the easiest way to change out hooks on top water lures.

Barry Wood
Barry Wood

Can you use this knot for jig heads also?
Do you plan on getting more trout eye jig heads?

Jus learn the polymer knot, by far thr easiest, strongest and works great with beaids or fireline. #bestknotever

Reply to  Anonymous

The palomar is a great knot.

Melvin Lunn
Melvin Lunn

Also the loop at the end aids in better action of the lure. It allows some movement of the head on the lure. It is a very strong knot. I have been using it for years

Bob
Bob

My granddaddy showed me a knot very similar to this one in the mid/late fifties when er first started using monofilament line..
Knots weaken the line by generating heat when it’s pulled together. You would say can’t be that much heat, not that much line diameter either.

Bob
Bob

Wet the knot with water. The acids in spit ca react with the line and cause it to weaken.

Don
Don

Does it work with braid?

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Don

The non-slip loop knot does not work very well with braid. I recommend a 4 to 6 turn surgeons loop knot for braid: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/surgeons-loop-knot-braid/

I call that a blood not want you tired it never comes out

Jay
Jay

Would you ever consider using a surgeons knot to tie off a lure or to a hook, I like the fact I can easily slip off the hook or lure if I need without redoing the knot.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Jay

Most lures do best when they have maximized freedom of movement in the water, so I use a loop knot for pretty much all lures (non-slip loop knot is my favorite). Although it can’t slide on and off like the surgeon’s knot, it provides much more freedom of movement and it’s very quick to tie so lure changes are not a problem.

Edward S Orenstein
Edward S Orenstein

can this knot be used with braided line?

Why are you not using this on a swiffell instead of on lure?

Mark
Mark

Isn’t that a Rapala Knot? I have been using that forever.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Mark

The Rapala Knot is very similar… the only difference is that the Rapala has one extra step where the tag end gets pushed through that final loop and ends up pointing back towards the rod tip. Here’s a link to see it in action: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/rapala-knot/

Reply to  Mark

It looks like the first part of our power not put finishes up differently

George Harris
George Harris

I know that yall have covered this in another video……..but what are the name brand on those hooks on that lure. I want to replace my treble hooks with those.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  George Harris

The name is “Single Replacement Hook”… made by Owner.

Bill Reeves
Bill Reeves

Another great knot is a figure eight Tarpon knot, I learned it from a charter Captain while fishing in the Keys. I now use it on my fresh water lures as well. I find that the lures action is much better when these knots are used

Sam Sheffield
Sam Sheffield

Great video, I’ve had to watch it a few times to get it down pat but it works great! Thanks Luke

Pablo Diaz
Pablo Diaz

Great knot

Been using this knot for a long time but only do 2 wraps and I don’t go through the center of the loop I go between the tag end going through the loop and the loop itself. It seems to snug down a little better and be slightly less bulky. ALWAYS make sure you wet the knot with saliva before pulling tight. One of the best parts about this knot is that once you trim the tag it faces away from you so it doesn’t have the tendency to pick up so much weed/debris.

Mike Shannon
Mike Shannon

I’ve been using this knot since you published this instruction, but yesterday i lost two fish due to this knot slipping loose. So, I’m back for remedial instruction.
Question : 1st step, what does this mean “Make sure the top side of your overhand loop is pointing up toward the main line.”? Maybe this is where I’m making a mistake…

Thanks for the great info – always!

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Mike Shannon

If you look at the 1:14 mark of the video, you’ll see that the overhand loop that is right above the lure is facing upward towards the right side (top of it is on the left side and bottom is on the right side), so a straight line through it would angle up on the right.

And when threading the tag end through the loop (going both up towards the mainline on the way up, and then back down towards the lure at the end), it is important to follow the angle of that overland loop.

Watch the video closely as I thread the tag on the way up and down as it relates to the angle of that overhand loop and you’ll see that I follow the same angle as the imaginary line that would be pointing directly through that overhand loop.

Allen Tufts
Allen Tufts
2 years ago

Luke, thank you for the knot instructional video, I’ve used this knot for a long time with great results. It reminds me of a bowline knot but the rabbit goes around the tree four times in the case.

rick
rick
2 years ago

Have you tested this knot for break strength vs the rapala knot 20 lb test to 100 lb test?

Nick
Nick
2 years ago

Nice…guess ive been tying the best loop knot for 40 yrs and didnt even know it! lol. And the reason ive used it for so long is that the tag end lays flat pointing down toward the lure which makes it more weedless. Dont know officially how strong it is but ive never had one break or slip.

Michael Teague
Michael Teague
2 years ago

Can you guys do me a favor? Please do a strength test for this very same knot BUT go through the lure eye and the overhand loop TWICE. This gives you two loops. its basically a trylene knot,loop style. I’ve been tying mine this way for years but never did a strength test. I would be very interested in your findings (as I’m sure others would as well)
Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Gibson
Michael Gibson
2 years ago

Is this different from the Kreh Loop Knot?

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Michael Gibson

This “Non-Slip Loop Knot” is the same knot as what many people call the Kreh Loop Knot (from what I’ve been told at least).

I thought Steve Huff was the first to tie this?

Mike Jones
Mike Jones
2 years ago

I am going fishing Monday and will give this and others things I have learned since my last trip and let you know how it worked for me.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Mike Jones

Sounds good Mike. Best of luck to you out on the water!

Rich Despault
Rich Despault
2 years ago

I have been using this knot since you first mentioned it a couple of months ago. I love it. It is strong and easy to tie, even in the Texas winds. My question is what is the lure that your tying it to. It’s an excellent reproduction of a Mullet.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Rich Despault

Glad to see that you’re enjoying this loop knot. The lure shown in this video is a Rapala Skitter Walk… color is call :Shad Translucent”. Here’s a link to their site: https://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/skitter-series/skitter-walk/Skitter+Walk.html

Bill
Bill
2 years ago

Thanks so much for the great tutorial video! I’ll be sure to give this knot a try on my next trip.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Bill

Our pleasure Bill.

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

North Carolina’s Gill Net Problem (And How We Can Fix It Together)

North Carolina's fisheries are in trouble. We're destroying our fisheries with gill nets and if we don't do something about it soon, we may not have a...

Spot Dissection: Winter Spots Vs. Summer Spots [Destin, FL]

In this Spot Dissection, I show you how to pinpoint areas to target in the winter vs. summer.