Simple Sheepshead Rig (Great For Sight Fishing & Heavy Structure)
By: Tony Acevedo on February 5, 2020
If you target sheepshead, then you need to have this rig in your arsenal.
It’s the simplest rig for sheepshead (and many other species), but it’s very effective, especially if you’re sight casting to them, or if they keep breaking you off and you need to keep retying.
It’ll take you less than a minute to tie, plus you can use it with or without a weight, depending on current and what depth the sheepshead are feeding.
Want to learn how to tie this simple sheepshead rig?
Watch the video below!
Simple Sheepshead Rig [VIDEO]
Here’s what you need for this rig:
- Leader (I use 15-30 lb mono, depending on water clarity and if the fish are picky)
- A split shot
- Hook (I’ve been using a #1 live bait hook for sheepshead)
There are three steps to tying this rig:
Step 1: Stretch out the leader material
Stretching it out will make it easier to work with, plus it will take the coils out, so the leader will reflect less light.
Step 2: Tie on the hook
I mostly use snug knots with this rig, and in this video I used a trilene knot.
Check out this article to learn about the best knots for every situation.
Step 3: Attach the split shot (if necessary)
If you’re sight casting to sheepshead, if the water is very shallow, or if they’re near the top of the water column, you likely won’t have to use a split shot.
But if they’re near the bottom, I’d put a split shot on about 6-12 inches above the hook.
If you’re sight casting to sheepshead, or if you keep getting broken off, this simple sheepshead rig is perfect.
Have any questions about this rig?
Let me know in the comments below!
And if you know someone who needs to learn how to tie this rig, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and +11,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!
Stop Wasting Time On The Water!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).
- The Best Fishing Knots Of All Time [Ranked Strongest To Weakest]
- How To Catch Sheepshead (Plus PDF Cheat Sheet & Catch Card)
- How To Make A High Low Rig (For Sheepshead & Snapper)
Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. It’s one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure we’re still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right)?