Here’s Why You Should Not Use Snap Swivels With Artificial Fishing Lures

Here’s a question we get a lot…

Should you use snap swivels with artificial lures?

It sounds like a good idea, right?

It’s so quick to swap out lures, so when the fish aren’t biting, you don’t need to retie a whole new knot, you can just snap on a new lure.

You could test a lot more lures to see what the fish are biting that day!

But is the time you save worth it?

And is that a good strategy?

No and no.

See why in the video below.

Why You Shouldn’t Use Snap Swivels With Lures [VIDEO]

Although snap swivels can save you time, they’re too big and bulky and will most likely scare off the fish either by their unnatural look, or just their presence in the water.

Sure, you might catch a few young, naive, aggressive with it, but if you want to maximize your chances of catching fish, it’s not a good idea.

Plus, you don’t want to be switching lures out too much.

Assuming you’re using a lure that’s proven to catch fish in the conditions you’re fishing, if the fish aren’t biting, your first action would be the change the retrieve (slow it down, speed it up, add some twitches, etc.).

Then, if the fish still aren’t biting, you might want to move spots and find fish that are actively feeding.

And finally, in the grand scheme of things, you aren’t really saving that much time with a snap swivel.

Tying a loop knot can be pretty quick.

Conclusion

how to catch flounder in summer

Although snap swivels might be convenient, they’re not worth using because they can scare fish off.

Have any questions about using snap swivels with your artificial lures?

Let us know in the comments below.

And if you know someone who uses snap swivels, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Allan Vrboncic

What about using quick snaps?

Tooie

I use snap swivels all the time and we are usually catching only the biggest fish with lures.

David Dunlap

What about using snap swivels with flouro leader?

Blue Whale Hardware

Great post. Definitely this one of the informative and useful post to me. Thanks for the share. Top Boat accessories with the best quality of stainless steel. If you want to buy boat accessories with great quality then click the <a href=”https://bluewhalehardware.com/”>snap hook/a>

I swear by the Bill Norman speed clips. They are very small and I can change from a plus to a jig in seconds.

Scott Rispaud

Hi Wyatt, I hope all is well with you. I stopped using snap swivels so long ago that when I found one in my garage, I had to ask what it was..lol, just kidding. However, when I take my trip north for Striped Bass, unless using a Bucktail, I use a TA Clip. The maker, Crazy Alberto uses them ALL the time on any lure and he has caught more trophy fish than anyone, salt and freshwater. He can be found at all of the fishing shows with his line of Tactical Anglers lures etc. The Tactical Angle Clip (TA Clip) uses the paper clip principle. Maybe have a look at it. All the best.

Scott

Michael Morgan

I have just seen your video on using a snap swivel instead of a loop knot and it is good advice But how about using a smaller stainless steel snap swivel that I think improves my catch rate by adding more reflection in the water stainless being more shiny ?

Steven Free

I don’t use swivels for lures but I do use an quick change clip called the Bill Norman speed clip and I only use it in my plugs it’s very secure much better then any swivel and makes changing plugs a breeze heck bill Norman was a pro circuit bass angler that invented it so why wouldn’t it be good usually anglers that invent things are better then a non angler inventing one especially a pro because that’s how they make there living never ever had a problem with them and they are so small they are probably not even noticed by the fish have caught tons of fish on them and because they are a clip they act like a loop knot giving the plug a lot of freedom of movement but on my jigs I do use a loop knot and my spinnerbait and on my speedclip I use a polomar knot works for me😁

robert olson
Reply to  Steven Free

I use the speed clip also work great, no weight to them

Reply to  Steven Free

I agree I use them all the time it cuts down on the amount of rigged rods I carry on my boat.

Gary Rankel

Hi Wyatt…….I use the No Knot Fas Snap for all presentations except sub surface in super clear water, when I’ll still tie the loop knot.

Art Heiter

The use of the split screen example of both the loop knot and the snap swivel being attached to the paddle tail at the same time was really cool. Nice work Wyatt…

How To Easily Replace Hooks On DOA Swimmin’ Mullet and TerrorEyz

Need to replace the hooks on your DOA Swimmin' Mullet or TerrorEyz? It's actually pretty easy, but if you're not careful, you could rip it.

My Top 3 Favorite Sunglasses (For Serious Inshore Saltwater Anglers)

Want to see the top sunglasses for inshore fishing? Then check out this breakdown of the must-have lenses.