How To Tie The Strongest Braid To Braid Fishing Knot [Video]

It’s knot time again!

And this time we’re covering a new type of connection… we’ll be tying a braided line to another braided line.

After getting a lot of great feedback from the braid to fluorocarbon leader knot contest, I started getting a good amount of questions from anglers wondering how to best connect two braided lines together.

Why Tie A Braid To Another Braid?

The most common use for a braid to braid knot is to splice a braid backing to the top ~100+ yards of braid in order to save money and time when re-spooling (allows for the untouched backing to stay on the spool while applying a fresh top section).

Given the multiple requests for this knot, I decided to do some testing and found that the knot shown below generates the highest breaking strength.

How To Tie A Braid To Braid Fishing Knot

After testing some of the most popular knots (blood, traditional double uni, albright, alberto) to connect a braided line to another braided line, I found that the Modified Double Uni Knot shown in the video below has the highest breaking strength.

This knot is easy to tie, it is very small once complete, and it’s hold strength has been testing just as strong as connecting to a swivel or a leader, so there isn’t much (if any) loss of strength to the overall system due to the splicing of the braid.

Here is a video showing exactly how to tie this impressive knot:

Note: This knot is the popular Double Uni Knot for line to line connections with just a slight adjustment in doing 10 wraps on each side vs. the traditional 5 wraps.

Conclusion

Our knots are always the weakest points of the line system, so it’s on us to ensure we’re using the strongest options for all types of connections so that the biggest fish of the day doesn’t get away.

And when in need of connecting a braided line to another braid, then this Modified Double Unit Knot for Braid is a fantastic option.

It’s easy to tie, has a thin profile, and it’s breaking strength has been the best I’ve tested for this connection so far.

If you have any braid to braid knots that you’d like me to test it against, please do not hesitate to let me know using the comment section below.

Tight lines and strong knots!

Go To Our Knot Testing Homepage [Full Knot Rankings]

Scott

I have tried this 100 times. Every time it has snapped the line after checking when I pull the braided lines away from each other to check the knot. WTF?!

Steve Linkhart

Have you tried an fg knot for braid to braid it seems to work I use about 30 wraps,it makes a small knot and it doesn’t hang up on the line spooling of the reel maybe you could test it

Dann

Your not doing it right. The tighter you pull, the tighter the knot gets. I just did braid to braid test and literally could not pull it apart or break the line with all my might.

Max McRae

What would happen if you did the same process with two line thicknesses instead of one?

thanks

jason

thanks for knot luke .have you actually caught a fish with this knot under real world pressure outside of spool if so up to what size. cheers

Jack

Hey Luke, have you ever tried testing a Double Uni using the same method of doing two turns around the other line instead of one as if you were reinforcing a single Uni knot when attaching it to a hook/swivel ?

3 years ago

can i use FG knot?

Chris
2 years ago

Using FG knot braid to braid all the time. From 22kg mainline to 90kg leader. What is your reason for not recommending it?

jeff s
3 years ago

how bout tying mono to fluorocarbon

jeff s
3 years ago

can you use this knot to tie braid to fluorocarbon?

3 years ago

can you use this knot to tie braid to fluorocarbon?

Haily
3 years ago

how would you rate the blood knots strength compared to the uni to uni knot?

josh
4 years ago

What do you think about using an alberto knot to connect braid to braid?

josh
4 years ago

Thank you for your reply yeah i saw your fg knot vid it looks superior to the alberto for tying flouro to braid and I would like to use the FG knot soon as I’ve only tied the alberto knot (never had it fail and have caught some big chinook and steelhead) But I was wondering about using alberto knot for tying braid to braid instead of the uni to uni knot.

Fisherman
3 years ago
Reply to  josh

Braid to braid, any knot is a fail.
Splice the two lines together at home with a medium size sewing needle. The south africans have a very good method that is as near 100% as you will get. Real 100%, not internet bragging rights 100%. Stronger than the PR or FG connection to your leader will be. The trick is to splice the one line through the other back and forth and not inside the line, and then take the tag of the line just stitched and stitch it back and forth through the other and DO NOT tie off the tags, just cut them a mm or 3 short. Do 30 stitches each side for your own peace of mind, 20 each side is more than adequate though. 20lb braid is not an issue to stitch.

Fisherman
3 years ago

I’m not a fan of the stitched loops for spinning leaders, there stitch to stitch is the way forward for me if a heavy braid leader is required, but there all the info. Paulus fishing had some info a few years back but that picture and tests seem to be gone off his site now.. Just posted the links above for you to check out. no reason to publish this response, rather try them and test them and tell yer folks.. 😉 That stitch is in essence creating a new braid in splice, over the join, of a much thicker ply than either line being joined so in my laymans engineering guess it can be stronger than either line as opposed to a knot. Badly done, as strong and well done, stronger..anyway..I’ve not touch wood, been able to break one, over the mainline, in three seasons and many break offs and big angry fish in shallow rocky waters. Some were neater than others but I’ve yet to have one fail me. My FG’s are reliable but very occasionally I’ll tie a dud and cast off a lure or loose a fish, the stitch to stitch..is in another league of reliability.

Kevin Piccione
4 years ago

Been using this knot for some time now thanks to you, Luke. Works a treat and is very easy once you know. Thanks for the contribution you’ve made to my fishing experiences!

Robert Moore
4 years ago

What is the breaking strength as a percentage of line strength? Why not splice the lines together using splicing needles?

Robert Moore
4 years ago

So using a knot doubles the line strength or is it that the manufacturers of the line understate it’s strength by 100%?

Robert Moore
4 years ago

This what you wrote “When doing this knot on 10 lb test (which is what I typically use), the breaking point averages out to be 20 lbs.” I was wondering why 10 lb test line can become 20 lb breaking strength after a knot is used to join line sections? Shouldn’t the knot reduce the breaking strength to about 9 or 9.5 lbs at best?

Robert Moore
4 years ago

I have Daho splicing needles and also use very thin gauge high tensile wire for lines smaller than 0.4 mm. I regularly splice braided lines of 50, 80,100, 200, 300, 400 and 700 lbs test. If the braid was 30 lb test of 4 weave hollow braid then I am confident of 30 lb to 30 lb. There are other knot-less methods using same strength mono inserted inside the braid and crimped using Daho custom crimps. There is a limit to diameter difference and as a rough guide 50% line diameter difference is about the limit. That means I could splice 30 lb to 50 lb, 50 lb to 80 or 100 lb, 100 lb to 200 lb etc,etc. I agree, that the very small lines are very difficult to splice and in any case splicing is not something to be done while fishing at night on a rocking boat!

Jim
4 years ago

I assume that this knot will work on all line weights, 10lbs-10lbs, 130lbs-130lbs

sean
3 years ago

I would never recommend stepping down line class any more that 2 sizes down. Especially with a uni-uni (knot pulling against a knot) It is too easy for say a 10lb spectra to pull inside the 100lb.

How To Catch Sheepshead Without Live Bait (LIVE Video)

Want to catch big sheepshead on artificial lures? It's possible and in this video we're going to show you how, where, and on what lures we're catching them.

How To Master A New Inshore Area (Even A New State)

Can you imagine quitting your job, selling everything you have, and moving to become a fishing guide? That's exactly what Capt. Jay Withers did, plus he...
No comments