The Best Hooks For Topwater Lures (That Are Safer & More Effective)

In theory, treble hooks sound good.

More hooks give you more opportunities to hook into fish, right?

Well, I recently swapped out my treble hooks for single hooks on a topwater lure to see what would happen.

My biggest questions were:

• Is it easier to handle fish next to the boat with a third of the hooks?
  • Will my hookup ratio go down?
  • Is it safer for the fish?

See how it went in the video below!

The Best Hooks For Topwater Lures [VIDEO]

I liked the single hooks a lot better than I thought I would!

And now, I’ve changed all of the hooks on my topwater lures to single hooks.

With four less hook points on my lure, it was easier to handle the fish once I got them next to my kayak.

Plus, it was safer for them — no extra hooks getting stuck in their gills or eyes.

But the two most surprising things were my hookup ratio and strength of connection.

My hookup ratio didn’t seem to be changed at all (which was my biggest fear).

And I actually seemed to get a stronger connection to the fish because there was just one hook going into their mouth.

With a treble hook, your connection is spread out between two or three hooks, so it’s less secure.

If you want to make the switch to try out some single inline hooks on your topwater lures, you can get the Owner 3X Single Inline Replacement Hooks from our shop here:

They come in the 3/0 size, which is perfect for larger topwater lures like the Rapala Skitter Walk in size 11.

Plus, they’re 3x strong, so you’ll have no problem landing 30-40″ redfish and snook.

Have any questions about using single inline replacement hooks for your topwaters?

Let me know down in the comments!

P.S. They’re also much safer for you — you’re much less likely to get a hook in the hand! Get the Owner 3X Single Inline Replacement Hooks here.

P.P.S. If you want 20% off all of the gear in our shop, join us in the Insider Club!

Pablo
1 month ago

Definitely bought the hooks to eliminate the trebles. My question involves the the fish gripper used in the redfish mouth. I have heard not to use these because it harms fish? Any feedback ?

Richard Fiorentino
1 month ago

I noticed you had the remains of your leader on the Rapalo and it was tied with a cinch knot. Is that what you usually use on top waters? Thanks

Farris L'Abbe Powell
1 month ago

Four or five years ago I was going to change my saltwater lures to inline hooks. I called Owner and asked them how to determine hook size for different lures………..none of them had an answer. MY QUESTION. How to you determine what size inline hooks to use on what size lures? I hope you have the answers. Thanks

1 month ago

Here’s a lesson about that: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/choose-right-size-inline-hooks-replace-treble-hooks/

Note: Different brands often have different sized hooks, so we always make sure to show charts in our tackle store to help with size selection as seen in this page for the Owner inline replacement hooks: https://fishstrong.com/collections/saltwater-hooks/products/owner-single-replacement-hooks?variant=32601346277461

Lee Chaney
1 month ago

Lure will walk better if you use a loop knot!

Robert Simon
1 month ago

Noticed you tied your top-water with a cinch knot as opposed to a loop knot. How does the knot effect the actual presentation?

Stu O.
1 month ago

I have never been a fan of treble hooks. Probably has something to do with all the times I managed to hook my fingers as a kid fishing with my Dad. As a result, I tend to shy away from the large collection of lures with treble hooks in the collection of tackle I inherited from Dad. Replacing those trebles with single hooks sounds like a great idea that I will be testing out. If nothing else, I will give me pleasure to use some of Dad’s old lures – he would have liked to see that.

Jim
1 month ago

I have to disagree. I tried single hooks on a trip to fish the Zambezi River for Tiger Fish. My lures were hammered time and time again with the single hooks and no hook up. Probably 1 in 8 hooked up where as the treble hooks were probably 1 out of 3 hook ups. Yes maybe they are a very hard mouth difficult fish compared to a Redfish but the results on Tiger Fish were clear.

Brian Pugh
1 month ago

I started using these on the Rapala twitchbaits and really like the single inline hooks. Not only for all the reasons you’ve mentioned but also for those days where the floating grass is a pain . The inline hooks seem to work through the floating and suspended grass so much easier and with less fouling. Not saying you won’t still get grass on the hooks but it’s much less frequent. It seems to clear easier too by quickly snapping the bait, the single hooks shed the grass more often than trebles. Did the 3/0 strong hooks weigh the bait down any? Or change the action of the bait from the factory setup? Thanks.

Harry Craig
1 month ago

Very good basic information…thanks.

Art Heiter
1 month ago

Nice to see you recommend the 3/0. I find it works better off the beach in the surf as well. Am using this size successfully on my 3/4 and 1 oz Kastmaster Spoons too.

4 Tips To Catch An Inshore Slam After A Cold Front [Double Slam Trip]

Want to catch a wintertime slam? This video shows you exactly what types of areas to fish, what lures to use, how to retrieve them and more!

Simple Tip For Catching Picky Fish (Works With Live Bait Or Lures)

Have you ever found yourself in a school of feeding fish, but they just don't want to bite your lure? This video will show you how to catch those picky fish