Best Size Rod & Reel For Inshore Flats Fishing (For Small Trout To Big Redfish)
By: Tony Acevedo on December 17, 2019
What’s the best size rod and reel combo for inshore fishing?
That’s a question we get asked all the time and it’s a valid question!
You might think that if you go too small, you can’t handle big fish, but if you go too big, it’s going to be tough to cast all day, and smaller fish won’t really be fun to fight.
In this video, I’ll address all of these concerns and give you the exact setup I use for nearly all of my inshore fishing trips, including my favorite type of rod, favorite size reel, and the mainline and braid I normally use.
And since we don’t accept sponsorships from any equipment manufacturers, this is completely unbiased advice based on the equipment I actually fish with.
Best Size Rod & Reel For Inshore Fishing [VIDEO]
When I’m inshore fishing, I actually go pretty light.
Here are a few reasons why:
- I’m not fishing heavy structure, so I don’t worry about getting broken off
- I’m usually casting artificials all day, and heavier tackle makes that a lot harder to do
- The gear these days is very well-made, and you’d be surprised at how well light tackle handles big fish (I’ve caught redfish from 5 to 35 pounds with the setup below)
Here’s my typical setup:
- Rod: 7′ 6″ medium to medium-heavy rod with a fast action tip
- Spinning reel: 3000 size reel
- Mainline: 10 lb braid
- Leader: 20-30 lb monofilament or fluorocarbon
If you’re fishing for inshore fish on the flats, you don’t need to go super heavy (even if there are big snook or bull redfish around).
A 3000 series reel on a 7′ 6″ medium to medium-heavy rod with a fast action tip and 10 lb braid with a 20 lb leader can handle everything from a 15″ trout to a 45″ redfish.
I didn’t mention any brands in this video, but you can check out reviews of some of the rods, reels, and fishing line we’ve used below:
Have any questions about the best size rod and reel combo?
Let me know in the comments below!
And if you know someone who needs to see this video, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and +10,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).