How To Properly Pair Your Inshore Spinning Rod & Reel

how to pair inshore rod and reel

One of the most common mistakes fishermen make is pairing up the wrong rod with the wrong reel.

Pairing the right equipment together can be tricky.

In fact, most anglers don’t do this correctly (which means they aren’t getting the most out of what they’ve purchased).

So in this podcast episode, we’ve got the Salt Strong fishing coaches breaking down exactly how to do this.

You’ll learn:

• What questions to ask yourself before deciding on a rod and reel
  • What our favorite rods and reels are
  • Why “unbreakable” rods are bad for fishing
  • How to choose a rod for kayak fishing vs boat fishing
  • Why you should never buy a ready-made combo
  • Why Luke likes short butts
  • Plus a bonus snook tip

If you fish with spinning gear then this is a must-listen episode.

You can watch the video version of this podcast below (we recommend the video because we show several examples of rods and reels), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.

P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

How To Properly Pair Your Spinning Rod & Reel [VIDEO]

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SALT STRONG INSIDER CLUB

How To Properly Pair Your Spinning Rod & Reel [PODCAST]

salt strong podcast itunes
salt strong podcast stitcher

salt strong podcast spotify

Note: Don’t forget to subscribe to the Salt Strong podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SALT STRONG INSIDER CLUB

Related Podcasts:

Conclusion

best size rod and reel for inshore saltwater fishing

If you fish with spinning tackle and artificial lures, pairing the right equipment together can be the difference between catching a ton of fish, or going home skunked.

The rod is the most important component, then the reel, and let the type of fishing you’ll be doing drive your decisions (not a brand name or how something looks).

Have any other questions about pairing spinning rods and reels?

Let us know in the comments below!

And if you have any other requests for Tackle Tuesday topics, please let us know down in the comments!

Related Articles:

Kevin Stevens
Kevin Stevens
17 hours ago

I really enjoyed that podcast and i use mostly baitrunner reels and i have really had good luck with the okuma avenger series reels that run around 60 bucks and the daiwa emcast is another good one for less that a 100

James Shannon
James Shannon
18 hours ago

You touched on the fact that you dont reccomend the “un-breakable” rod. What about their “select” offerings with the inshore labels or the even newer offerings with carbon. I have fished the inshore rods for years along side sticks from G Loomis, St. Croix, Duckett and others. While there is “some” aka minimal differences in sensitivity, I dont believe that it justifies the $100 – $200 price difference. I am wondering if you have used the higher end rods from the manufacturer whom you implied, in the past few years?
You may be doing yourselves and your members an injustice by sluffing off that brand because of price. Economical but not cheap.
Thanks
James A. Shannon

Brett Landon
Brett Landon
1 day ago

Salt Strong fellas, the modulus of composite fibers relates to the level of their rigidity, or their modulus of elasticity, not the number of carbon particles. The higher the modulus, measured in msi, the stiffer the fiber. Standard modulus carbon fiber is 33 msi (megapounds per square inch) but its tensile strength is 500 ksi, almost 5 times more than steel and 7.7 times more than aluminum. Higher modulus fibers do not have more particles. They are created through several heat treatment processes to create higher rigidity, kind of like heat treating carbon steel to create stainless steel and titanium.

Intermediate modulus carbon fiber yields the highest tensile strength of all carbon fibers, and it has a higher modulus, around 50 msi. High modulus and ultra-high modulus carbon fibers are very rigid, up to 135 msi, but they are more brittle.

So, modulus is how rigid they are. Higher rigidity means more sensitivity, as explained, but retailers who have tried to help fishermen understand its definition are missing some of the meanings. 🙂

Last edited 1 day ago by Brett Landon
Bob Thompson
Bob Thompson
1 day ago

Question? I have some 30 year old IM6 Glomis rods I built, they’re still functional but the guides are corroding some of the handles are loose. Is it worth rebuilding are just buying new like the TFO rod with modern design

Ed Goodwln
Ed Goodwln

There is just so much quality that you can put in into a fishing rod. Once you start getting into the 100 $150 range after that you’re buying name.

James Shannon
James Shannon
18 hours ago
Reply to  Ed Goodwln

👍

Thomas Tyrkala
Thomas Tyrkala

Thank You for the vid on matching the rod. I am old school so i am a back reeler so i use drag rarely’
I am so excited to listen to you guys. Also i dont use kayak yet. I use my ranger.

Anthony Bishop
Anthony Bishop

The TFO I bought from your website is an amazing rod. Couldn’t find a Fuego at the time for it due to the pandemic so paired it with a BG 2500. Fair balance and plenty of 10 pound braid. Thanks, Salt Strong!

David
David

My reels seem to crap out on me after couple of trips, then letting sit in shed before using next trip. I’m rinsing off but I know I’m not using the best reels( probably closer to worst) If I step up to better grade $$$ reel , will I get more longevity out of them? Are there saltwater specd reels?

Mark Jenkin
Mark Jenkin

One thing that sometimes seems to make a difference in the rod choice is the lure weight. You guys didn’t touch on that part of the rod discussion. How important do you feel that the lure weight, or even the line recommendations, marked on the rod is to final choice of your rod?

Richard Pasquarello
Richard Pasquarello

In the near future hopefully by mid fall I’m going to be buying a boat and I’ll need Rods and Reels for the Boat. I have now two Walmart Special Fishing Rods and Reels and a Meduim Heavy Rod and Reel Combo by Penn I bought at Dick’s Sporting Goods.I will be going offshore and on shore from Vero Beach. I will also be fishing in the KEYS especially from Marathon and Key West. I want to be able to have Rods and Reels suited for each situation. Do you have a quide for picking out Rods and Reels or could you show me what I would need in each siuation.

Last edited 3 days ago by Richard Pasquarello
Steve Marsalese
Steve Marsalese

As they make reels lighter and lighter it’s harder to get that balance that Luke talks about. I often buy a rod and try to find a reel that it balances well with but it’s increasingly difficult with the new reels. So Mark in the scenario on the pod cast the Daiwa Fuego would go with which rods from Loomis and TFO? And what specs with each rod to get that balance? Length power etc for fishing the Slam Shady most effectively…

Ronald Mattson
Ronald Mattson

Thank Y’All so much for the info. I would like to touch on something associated with spinning reels that we have had to come to grips with over the last few years. After purchasing Stella’s and Sustain’s from Shimano for some time we found out that Shimano does not intend to have parts for these expensive reels or any of their other reels after ~4-5 years. I have Stella’s on my shelf now that I cannot get parts for anywhere. And Shimano Reps will openly tell you that. Also one of the very first measurements a good rod maker will make is the diameter of the spinning reel spool You are going to use. This diameter is critical in calculating the distance from the reel to first guide. From experience with multiple blanks,supposedly equal,from Loomis or Lamiglas,they do not feel equal. Do not expect rods from the same manufacturer supposedly identical to be so.

James Bear
James Bear
Reply to  Ronald Mattson

I switched to Penn for the reason you mentioned as Shimano forces us to buy a new reel every few years. Availability of parts for the Penn are available over the Shimano at most repair shops. Yes the Penn is a tad heavier and makes a few more noises than the Shimano.
But I fish for big snook and the Penn is a tank has more line capacity, and more drag power.

James Shannon
James Shannon
18 hours ago
Reply to  James Bear

👍🇺🇸

James Shannon
James Shannon
18 hours ago
Reply to  James Bear

Same. Penn takes great care of their customers

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).