How To Tie Your Own Bucktail Jig for Snook, Redfish, & Trout [VIDEO]

Ever caught a nice fish on a lure you made by yourself?

There’s nothing more rewarding than landing a slob of a fish on a homemade lure.

Do you want to learn the simple steps to be able to tell your friends you caught a monster snook, redfish, or trout on a jig that you made yourself!

And this post will help you tie one of the most universal lures of all…

The Bucktail Jig.

Bucktails have been successfully used for years to catch an enormous variety of fish species.  The style you’ll learn in this post is focused specifically for snook, redfish, trout, and flounder.

Best of all, you’ll be shocked by how easy it is to tie your own bucktail jig!

And hopefully, you will be shocked at easy it is for you to catch a nice fish on your own custom bucktail like I was when I finally gave it a try years ago.

Want to catch more inshore fish and be part of a tight-knit fishing club that guarantees your success?

Then apply to join the Salt Strong Insider Fishing Club here.

Bucktail Jig Materials

how to tie a bucktail jig

First, we need to talk about the materials you’ll need to tie your own bucktail jigs. Some are required while others are optional to put some added flair to your bucktail.

The video below will cover the entire list so you can see exactly how it all comes together.

Required bucktail jig materials

• Jig head (pretty much any jig head can work, but I usually use a 1/4 to 3/8 oz DOA C.A.L red jig head… strong hooks with nice paint job and good eyes)
  • Bucktail hair (I get this at any fly shop or online)
  • Thread (in this video I use spare 10lb PowerPro braided line)
  • White fingernail polish (to paint the thread so it matches the white ducktail)

Optional bucktail jig materials

• Fly tying Vice to hold the bucktail jig in place
  • Bobbin (for fly tying – helps you spin the thread around the jig)
  • Feathers – White Hen Neck Hackle
  • Silver Flashabou to give that bucktail some flair

How to Tie A Bucktail Jig [Video]

Tying a bucktail jig is not nearly as hard as most people think… and it sure is fun to try out different styles/sizes over time to see what works best for your particular area.

Check out this step-by-step video on how to tie a bucktail jig like a pro.

Conclusion

how to tie a bucktail jig

Learning how to tie a bucktail jig is just like learning how to tie your shoelaces… except you can catch fish with your bucktail…

At first, it might seem tough, but once you know the sequence and tried it a couple times, you’ll be able to do it in your sleep.

And I can assure you that once you catch your first snook, redfish, or trout on your own bucktail, you will be hooked (pun intended) like I was.

Any questions on tying this bucktail lure or any other lures?

Let me know in the comments.

Related Post: 7 Essential Saltwater Fishing Lures That Will Catch Fish Pretty Much Anywhere (see it here now)

Then apply to join the Salt Strong Insider Fishing Club here.

P.S. – If you think your friends would like this post, please Tag them or Share this with them. It would mean a lot to me. Fish On!

Shaye Hobby
5 years ago

I have a bucktail jig. Used it a couple of times been eyeballin’ it lately. Just never caught anything on it. Guess will bring it back out and tie it on and hope somethin’ happens. Looks like I will make one to. Thanks for video.

5 years ago
Reply to  Shaye Hobby

Yes, a bucktail jig bounced along the bottom can catch a huge variety of fish… certainly worth giving it a shot.

matt
5 years ago

What brand of vise are you using? Where did you get it and for how much?

5 years ago
Reply to  matt

Thanks for showing interest in the vise. I’m sorry to report that I don’t even know what brand it is… just the cheapest one that I could find in a fly shop I was visiting when living in Upstate NY. I believe that it was around $20.
There are a ton of brands which has all sorts of bells and whistles, but I tie only for my personal use and don’t feel that the fancy extras are worth the cost… if it holds the hook/jig in place, then it’s good enough for me:)

Fred Brillo
5 years ago

Ok great…now we know how to make one….. now tell us how to fish one!

5 years ago
Reply to  Fred Brillo

There are multiple ways to fish bucktail jigs, but I’ve done best with bouncing them along the bottom. Here’s a video showing the two twitch technique that I like best for fishing all types of jigs (example is for targeting flounder): http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how-to-catch-flounder/

Allan Horton
5 years ago

Great demo. I’ve made my own jigs before and you’re right – there’s nothing quite like catching a good red or snook on a jig you’ve made (I did mine at the kitchen table; my most important accessory was the vise. I really like the tip of using white nail polish; I used white airplane dope, but it’s too brittle and probably dries a lot slower. Also, many times it requires a touch-up between fishing trips.On Sarasota Bay near where I live in Florida, a yellow-dyed bucktail also can be really effective, particularly for spotted weakfish (trout), and particularly in the southern part of the bay in Sarasota County where I normally fish.

5 years ago
Reply to  Allan Horton

Thanks for leaving the helpful comment Allan! Glad to see that you enjoy tying bucktails too for inshore fishing. Fish On!

Jason Dean
4 years ago

In the northeast, we will typically add an extra scent and action enticement to the bucktail jigs. They work for a multitude of game fish including fluke so I would imagine they would work equally well for southern inshore gamefish.

Squid strip, pork rind strips, Gulp curly tail grub, etc can be used for casting bucktail jigs. Last year I tried Otter lure tails and have found them to be the most resilient in terms of duration and multiple toothy attacks. They are actually difficult to get off the hook after use. Like the gulps, they can be re-scented and reused.

Max James
2 years ago

Having some issues finding bucktail sand the feathers you show. Can you point me in the right direction.?

Raleigh Thomas
2 years ago
Reply to  Max James

There are a number of mail order companies that sell fly-tying materials online, as well as ‘big box’ places like Bass Pro Shops that sell materials in person or online. A lot of local tackle shops sell fly tying materials also, that you could check out.

Jesse King
2 years ago

I think I have more than enough lures, hooks, ect. The reason I don’t catch anything on them is because I cant find the fish. Do you know any good spots for Snook, tarpon, and red fish that I can fish without a boat? I’m really desperate to get my hand on a decent fish for a change.

Raleigh Thomas
2 years ago

GREAT video on tying jigs, especially for those new to tying jigs! Very good visual ‘tying 101’ for ‘visual learners’ like me, and excellent explanation narrative, very understandable! Another suggestion if you don’t have scrap/used power pro lying around, is using rod-wrapping thread. It is a lot stronger than most fly tying thread, comes on bigger, cheaper spools ( bobbins), and is available in a rainbow of colors. I also get nail polish in red, and clear, and ( COOL TIP -> ) clear with glitter polish ????

Steven Thomas
2 years ago

Any thought on best action/type of rod for fishing a bucktail? Assuming slow dragging and hop across the bottom.

Don Wilcox

Just began tying my own Bucktail jigs, have most of the tools you recommend. Did not catch the name of the feathers or where to get them. Really like the way that made them look! I have made about 10 and cut most of them off kind of shapely and even at the back at this point. Also was using black or red thread to tie them onto a powder coated white Jig, Was wondering if that was a mistake? Thank you, video was excellent!

Michael Ennis
Reply to  Don Wilcox

The feathers are sold as saddle hackle at most fly tackle supply stores. Neck hackle would be too slender for the effect you want.
Because of the taper of the hair you would be better off measuring the length when you tie in the hair so that you do not have to trim the ends. But they will catch fish either way. Red thread is often used on white bucktail jigs. He paints his since he is using a dark green thread. Can us a color that blends into the hair or stands out from the hair, depends on your preference or the preference of those you are making the jigs for.

How To Fish Docks In Heavy Current (For Big Predator Fish)

Want to learn how to catch fish under docks in heavy current? Their main goal is to find food and conserve energy, so when you fish docks you want to...
No comments

The Bull Bay Stealth Sniper Inshore Fishing Rod Ultimate Review

Are you looking for a new inshore fishing rod? I've been using the Bull Bay Stealth Sniper for a while now and can finally put an honest...

How To Catch BIG Redfish On tiny Lures (Even If They’re Extra Spooky)

Sick of seeing big fish that won't bite? Fish are more spooky in clear, calm, shallow water, so you need to use a stealthy lure, like this...