How To Tie Your Boat To A Dock Piling (The Bowline Knot)
By: Joseph Simonds on March 2, 2020
If you ever need to tie your boat up to a dock piling without a cleat, you need to know how to tie the bowline knot.
It’s very strong, super quick to tie (takes about five seconds), and you can break it easily (no matter how tight you pull it).
In this video, Capt. Mark “Hollywood” Johnson is going to show you how to tie this knot step by step.
P.S. He also shares a tip that will keep the line snug on a piling so it doesn’t slide down into the water.
How To Tie The Bowline Knot [VIDEO]
Here’s how to tie the bowline knot:
- Wrap your line around the piling
- Make a loop with the main line
- Put the tag end through the loop
- Bring the tag end over the knot and through the loop again
- Tighten down
This will give you a nice loop around a dock piling that will keep your boat secure to it.
And if you want to keep the knot from sliding down the piling, you can wrap the line once around the piling, then tie the knot.
If you want to tie your boat to a dock piling without a cleat, the bowline knot is an easy, reliable knot.
It’s also easy to break, no matter how tight you pull it, so you don’t have to worry about not being able to untie it.
Have any questions about the bowline knot or how to tie your boat to a piling without a cleat?
Let us know in the comments below.
And if you’re in the Florida Keys and you want to go fishing with Capt. Hollywood and his crew, you can get in touch with them at FloridaKeysFunFishing.com.
Know someone who needs to learn this knot? Please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and +12,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!
Stop Wasting Time On The Water!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).