Two Knots Every Boater Must Know To Tie Up To The Dock (VIDEO)
By: Joseph Simonds on February 21, 2020
If you want to make sure your boat never floats away from the dock, you have to know these two knots…
They’re simple and take just a few short seconds to tie, but so many people don’t tie them correctly.
We’ve got Capt. Mark “Hollywood” Johnson from FloridaKeysFunFishing.com to teach you how to tie these knots the right way, as well as warn you of the most common mistakes that people make when tying up to the dock.
If you want to make sure your boat stays secure to the dock, watch the video below.
Two Knots Every Boater Must Know [VIDEO]
Many dock lines come with a loop already manufactured into the line.
If you have one of these lines, you need to know the two knots below.
The first knot isn’t actually a knot, but more of a way to secure the loop to the cleat on your boat.
All you have to do is put the loop through the chock of the cleat, wrap the loop around each of the horns, and cinch it tight.
The other knot is a figure eight with a locking half hitch.
You can learn how to tie the figure eight with the locking half hitch in the video above, or in this blog post.
3 Boat Tying Mistakes
Here are the three biggest mistakes people make when tying their boats to the dock with these lines:
- Putting the loop around the cleat. This is very insecure and can easily slip off.
- Putting the loop through the cleat and wrapping it around just one horn. This is easier to slip off than wrapping around both horns (and takes the same amount of effort).
- Not finishing the figure eight with a locking half hitch. This makes this knot easy to slip off.
If you’re docking your boat, make sure that you tie it up the right way.
It takes a small amount of time and effort to do it the right way but it can save you huge headaches and maybe even a swim in the water.
Have any questions about these knots?
Let me know in the comments below!
If you’re in the Florida Keys and you want to go fishing with Capt. Hollywood and his fleet, you can get in touch with them at FloridaKeysFunFishing.com.
And if you know someone who needs to learn these two knots, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and +12,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!
Stop Wasting Time On The Water!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).