How To Make Your Cast Net Last Longer (And 4 Mistakes That Will Ruin It)

You invested in a nice cast net…

It wasn’t cheap, so you’re hoping to make it last as long as possible.

But how do you make sure your cast net lasts for years?

That’s exactly what you’re going to learn in this video.

I’ve had one of my cast nets for over 20 years now and by taking good care of it, it’s nearly as good as new.

You’ll learn:

• the 4 mistakes to avoid with your cast net
  • where to store it so it lasts as long as possible
  • how to clean it after you use it
  • how to make sure the rope doesn’t get all frayed
  • and much more

If you want to make sure your cast net lasts a long time, check out the video below.

Cast Net Care [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to claim your FREE pack of Slam Shady paddletails

4 Mistakes To Avoid With Cast Nets

Here’s what you don’t want to do:

1. Never store a cast net in the sun
  2. Never store a cast net in an area with lots of moisture
  3. Never store a used cast net with the lid on the bucket
  4. Never clean your cast net with soap

Now, let’s get into what you do want to do…

How To Take Care Of Your Cast Net

After you use your cast net, always wash it down with fresh water and dry it.

But if you’re not going to be using it for over a week, I recommend soaking it in fabric softener.

Put half to a whole cup of fabric softener in the bucket that you keep it in, fill it with water, and then put the net in mesh-side down.

By putting the weights in last, you can make sure that the net is totally submerged.

Let it sit for 12-24 hours, then hang it on a pole or tree outside to dry.

And here’s a tip for letting it dry: make sure to leave the weights touching the ground when you hang the net.

You don’t want it to stretch out as it’s drying.

Once it’s completely dry, put it back in the bucket, leave the top off (there’s likely still some moisture in there), and store it inside.

It’s best if you can store it in the house because the temperature won’t be as extreme as the garage, but if you have to store it in the garage that’s usually ok.

As far as keeping the rope in good shape, if you see ends that have frayed off, use a lighter to burn them off.

That will help ensure that the rope stays in good condition.

Do This Before You Use A New Cast Net

When you first take your cast net out of the bucket, it’s usable, but there will be a lot of kinks in it.

The kinks will hinder how well it works, so I would advise getting them out before using it.

To get the kinks out, all you need to do is soak it in fabric softener like I outlined above.

After 12-24 hours, your net will be kink-free and ready to go.

Conclusion

how to throw a big cast net

So if you want your cast net to last 20 years like mine has, make sure to keep it dry, wash it with fabric softener, and store it in a cool room.

Do you have any other tips for making casts nets last a long time?

Let me know in the comments below.

If you need a new cast net, you can get them from our online tackle store.

And if you’re an Insider, you get 20% off all the products in our store for life.

Click here to join us in the Insider Club.

P.S. As an Insider, you’ll also get our best fishing spots and tips.

Stop Wasting Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Mark Kenda

Does fabric softener have any bearing on the scent that attract or repel fish? i.e., Positive, Neutral, Negative Scent Video

robert olson

What can you do to try and restore them if its been stored improperly and “ruined” Keep soaking it in warm water with fabric softener?

ANDREW BROOKS
Reply to  robert olson

I don’t know exactly what you call “ruined” or what exactly you mean by restore, but I will offer what I do as part of my repair & maintenance routine.
I place the net in bucket as described on this page, with a fairly large amount of fabric softener [I’ve found the cheaper Suavtel to work better] and Hot water. let soak until it’s not uncomfortably warm. then I hang the net, and locate any mesh that has been pulled out of weave. The softener should have the net somewhat slippery, & I grab areas adjacent and tug back & forth to massage them back in place. When I’ve done that, I then hose it off & let hang dry.
Hope this helps

Regis Platek

Is this for a nylon net or fabric? Or both? Thanks

Regis Platek

Thanks. All I use is nylon, so great. This is very helpful.

Matthew Wilkey

Awesome video, i knew nothing of how to care for my cast net and was about to scrap an old one, but that fabric softener did the trick and put some life back into it. Thanks for the info.

James Roach

Luke, enjoyed the video. Thanks. What I would like from you is how to properly store the net in the bucket…wind it, fold it, a combination of the two? Thanks.

David

I have been doing this with fabric softener for decades just as you posted and just sold two that were over thirty years old. Thanks for all your knowledge. David

Jeffrey Dudenhefer

Thanks Luke, I know you mentioned it, but can’t stress enough to wash the fabric softener off before drying it and using it on the boat. Nothing worse than a slippery deck when you pull up a net that still had fabric softener on it.

Jerome Ricardi

A cast net mini mastery course would be excellent. My net is definitely ornamental.

Get Jessica Jae to instruct how to throw the net!!!

Joseph Pack

Man I wish there was a saltstrong for car and house maintenance. You guys cover everything. Great video.

Rick

Ive always used hair conditioner. Whatever works????

Tides Vs. No Tides: How to Pre-Plan Around Tidal Flow

Do you fish in areas with huge tidal swings or areas with little to no tide shift at all? If so, it is vital to pre-plan your trips because...

How To Choose The Best Popping Cork (And Lure) For Every Condition

With so many options of popping corks to choose, how do you know which one to use? See the differences and when each style is best here.