How To Catch Overslot Snook Using These Artificial Shrimp

By: Joseph Simonds on June 23, 2020
Found In:

big southwest florida snook

What do you do when you see someone post a picture of a big fish online?

You probably wonder where they were, or what they caught it on, and then move on…

But when someone posts picture after picture of massive snook, redfish, cobia, permit, and other species, then you wonder, “What are they doing differently?”

This is exactly what happened with today’s podcast guest, Marcos Baldo.

Marcos and his wife, Luana, are fish-catching machines.

They constantly post pictures of huge fish in the Salt Strong Insider Community and I finally had to reach out to him and ask what their secret is.

They graciously invited Luke and me down to Southwest Florida to go fishing with them and show us exactly what they were doing and let me just say, these folks are the real deal.

big snook in pass

We caught loads of massive snook, but we weren’t fishing in spots most people target snook, and we weren’t using a lure that most people use to target snook with.

Because his tactics are so unconventional, I convinced Marcos to come on the podcast with me.

He shared a ton, including:

• What types of areas he’s catching huge numbers of big snook
  • How much current affects fishing
  • His favorite lure (that nobody else uses)
  • Why heavy jig heads work better than lighter ones (this one surprised me!)
  • And much more

Here’s just one of the many monster snook we caught with Marcos and Luana that day (all on artificial shrimp)

You can listen to this episode by clicking the play button below, or on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.

Enjoy!

P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

How To Catch Overslot Snook [PODCAST]

salt strong podcast itunes
salt strong podcast stitcher

salt strong podcast spotify

Note: Don’t forget to subscribe to the Salt Strong podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club

Related Podcasts:

Unbelievable Snook Snag [VIDEO]

I still can’t believe this was the very snook that stole my lure earlier.

How crazy!

Conclusion

big snook tips

It’s crazy to think that Marcos ever had bad days on the water, but like he said in the podcast, there were times when he struggled.

There were times when he would go out and get skunked, but now he’s catching monster snook with his wife nearly every day!

Marcos kept trying new things and didn’t give up, so if you’re struggling now, remember this story.

And if you want to speed up the process of learning how to catch fish, click here join Marcos and 13,000 other anglers in our Insider Club.

To keep up with him and Luana on Instagram and see their incredible fish pics, follow them at the links below:

And if you know someone who wants to catch more snook, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Stop Wasting Your Valuable Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • 20% OFF ALL of your fishing tackle (rods, reels, line, lures, and more from ALL of the biggest brands in America)

Corey Cobb

I’m seeing a lot of gear unavailable ATM. How about a DIY on how to cast your own silicone soft bodies or 3D print molds or something?

Tim Benson

Outstanding information guys. Marcos has shown great photos and shared info on his posts, and this brought it to a new level. The technique is similar to the way I learned to fish for big deepwater walleye in northern Minnesota.

Thank you Marcos and Simonds brothers!

Maria Faedo

Where can I buy some of those USB Shrimp. That Marco makes

Marc Wisniewski
Marc Wisniewski

Wow, …. talk about throwing everything I thought I knew out the window… This was an awesome interview. More with these two some day!

RICHARD FIORENTINO

Did you make a video of this trip?

RICHARD FIORENTINO

So when is Sal Strong going to start carrying these lures?

Edward S Gabriel

USB lures has FB page but site appears to be down….

Victor Gatell Jr

Great podcast! Listened to it twice, lol. Hopefully you can clear this up; so we look for deep water with current, as in bends where the water cuts deep into the shore, and do we cast to those holes or anchor over them. Jigging over a wreck is different than casting. Can you elaborate? Thank you

Matt Krey

In my opinion this was one of the best informational podcast I have heard concerning locating and catching over slot snook. Y’all covered a LOT of territory and explained it very clearly. Thank you Marcos and Salt Strong for sharing this hard earned information.

Jeff Gann

Thank you, are his shrimp available to purchase?

Alan Spolar

Joe, can you provide links to the jigheads/lures being discussed?

Alan Spolar
Reply to  Joseph Simonds

Thanks Joe! I enjoyed hearing you out fished Luke 🙂 I’m looking forward to followup trip/video you guys will be doing. The technique sounds very similar to how I learned jig fishing as a child with my grandparents in northern Wisconsin for walleye pike, northern pike and small mouth bass. But that was always with live bait. The use of artificial bait sounds very intriguing.

This Time of year in Kissimmee you find the brush piles you will win a lot of money different techniques to catch those big fish great podcast

Guy Leveille

Whoa! That whole podcast and the video of the net catch was awesome!!! Is it possible to get the shrimp lure that he makes? Does he market them to anglers? If not….he should!!!!

Garry Grissom

So cool to hear a different technique and amazing results. Can’t wait to try it out!

John Benson

Awesome Podcast! Always interesting to learn new techniques. Looking forward to the follow up video with details. Maybe even seeing the MarcosShrimp in the SS store?

LARRY RODRIGUEZ

Would like to see more detailed information in reference to terminal tackle, the lures, in addition to rods and reels.

Marcos Baldo

Hi Larry
Terminal tackle – fishing inshore I use 40lbs leader SEAGUAR blue label. My main line is Daiwa braid J8x 30lbs. Connection between lines use FG knot. Jighead 1/2oz you can fish from 4’ to 10’ depth with a 4” soft shrimp natural color.
Reel is a Daiwa Saltist Back Bay LT 3000md.
Rods -Shimano Curado CDS71m -8/30lbs MIDIUM ACTION /EXTRA

Terminal Tackle for bigger fish/offshore- 50Lbs leader SEAGUAR blue label. Main line Daiwa braid j8x 30lbs. FG knot .
Jighead 3/4oz you can fish 10’ to 25’ depth with 4 3/4 soft shrimp natural color.
Reel Daiwa Saltist Back Bay LT 3000md.
Rod -Shimano Curado CDSX74m 10/30lbs MIDIUM ACTION/EXTRA FAST

Larry Rodriguez
Reply to  Marcos Baldo

Thank you for the great information. Is there a particular jig head make and model you like? I recall you said in video that you like round. And where can we buy your shrimp products. Ty again.

Keith Wohltman
Reply to  Marcos Baldo

Marcos – thanks for the details – wonder if Salt Strong will get these in their store – neither rod or the reel currently are available.

Jim Silverman

Great podcast with Marcos from Everglades City. Can any of Marcos technics be used in shallow water and what does his rig look like?

George Layton

All I can say is OOOOOOHH YEEEAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great podcast & info is top notch !!! Thanks !

Michael Connelly

That was a lot of fun thanks Marco and Joe! The deeper water makes a lot of sense. I like using bigger jig head as well. I ordered some 1/2 ounce Trout Eyes from my local shop and he did not even know they made them…..

Alex Frey

Incredible Podcast!

Alex Frey
Reply to  Joseph Simonds

That will be awesome to see 🙂

Johnathan Lotero

Fantastic!! That snook snag was awesome cool stuff guys!

John Crongeyer