How To Plan Your Next Fishing Trip With This New Fishing Forecast Website

By: Luke Simonds on November 8, 2019
Found In:

smart fishing tides

I used to dread planning fishing trips.

I’d have to pull up different apps for tides, weather, and satellite maps, and then sift through a bunch of pages and popups to get the info I wanted.

And then I’d have to take all that info and guess what time will be best for fishing.

Now, not only is all of that condensed into one website (SmartFishingTides.com), but once I find the tide station I’m looking for, it’s condensed into just one page!

And I’m told exactly when are the best times to fish that day.

In this video, I’m going to show you how to plan your next fishing trip in just a few short minutes using just your phone and one website.

Let’s dive in!

Using Smart Fishing Tides On Your Phone [VIDEO]

➡ Go to SmartFishingTides.com

Keep reading to see how I plan my fishing trips with Smart Fishing Tides.

1. Select your tide station

You can select your tide station by clicking on the Smart Fishing Tides logo that marks each tide station.

tide station

Once you click on a tide station, you’ll go to that station’s page where you’ll be able to get all the information you need about it, starting with the Strike Score.

2. Check the Strike Score to see which day is best to go fishing

Based on factors like the weather, solunar activity, barometric pressure, and tides, the Strike Score will tell you when the best days to go fishing are on a 1-10 scale (1 being the worst day, 10 being the best).

best time and tide to go fishing

3. Check the tides

After you decide which day to go fish, you can scroll down to check the tides to see tide height and current.

best tide for fishing

4. Check the weather and tides together

If you turn your phone horizontally, you’ll be able to see hourly weather and tides together, to help you get a good understanding of the conditions.

best weather and tides for fishing

5. See hourly feeding level projections

Scrolling down from the tides section, you’ll be able to see the hourly feeding level projections to help you determine when to go fishing.

best time of day to fish

6. Check local radar

On the day of my fishing trip, and during my trip, I’ll check the local radar to see if there are any storms in the area.

Just click the show radar button and the radar will populate.

weather radar for fishing

7. Check the satellite map

Checking the satellite map is not only good for planning a trip, but is also helpful for navigating safely.

In the second image, you can see prop scars on a sand bar.

online maps for fishing

Check out the prop scars on the image below, and if you want more info about using online maps to navigate shallow water, check out this article.

8. Check the sonar map

If you’re fishing in murky water, or deep water and you can’t see the depth change on the satellite map, you can use the sonar map.

sonar map for fishing

Website vs. App

A lot of people have asked if this will be an app.

For now, the answer is no.

There are several advantages of this being a website and not an app, such as when we make updates they’ll automatically be there (as opposed to you having to update the app yourself), and you don’t need to download it on your phone.

The main reason people seem to want this as an app is that they want to be able to quickly access it from their home screen.

Check out the steps below to learn how to add this site to your home screen for iPhones just like an app.

P.S. You can do this with multiple tide stations so you can quickly access each of them (another advantage of this being a website and not an app).

How to put a tide station page on your iPhone home screen

fishing tides app

1. Go to the tide page, scroll down, then click the box with the arrow coming out of it

fishing tide app

2. Scroll down and click “add to home screen”

fishing tide app

3. Rename the icon by clicking the top box

In this case, I named my icon “Placida Tides.”

best fishing tide app

Conclusion

I hope this makes planning fishing trips easier for you!

Do you have any questions?

Or any suggestions to make it better?

Let me know in the comments!

And please share this with your fishing buddies!

P.S. Want the best local fishing spots, discounts on fishing gear, and to stay up to date with what and where the fish are biting right now? Join us in the Insider Club!

Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?

Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!

Here’s what you’ll receive today:

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Joel Sanders

I must be doing something wrong. I have a XS Max I-phone. When I pull up the station I want to save I shift the screen and the box with arrow does not appear. The typical bar with the back, forward, search, and how many pages shows up. Thanks Joel

JIm Nelson

Hello Luke,

This looks to have great potential for people like me, who are not Florida residents (Georgia in my case) and are targeting fishing opportunities in somewhat limited time/location trips to Florida. By the way, except for a dinner fish or two, these are catch-and-release for Florida trips. I think at least one adjacent state might look to Florida regulations to provide some guidance to options for sustainable sport fishing for nice fish versus meat fishing for small trout and red fish (Georgia still seems to weigh in on the latter in my opinion — gotta fill a cooler for a good trip).

A couple of questions:

1) What are the parameters that go into the “bite time” algorithm or whatever you call that (solunar calendars?) and how is adjusted with weather conditions? Is this only for the primary tidal stations in given area or for the subordinate stations as well?

2) How will you evaluate the “skill” of this model at different times/conditions and in different places?

I realize question (2) will be difficult to quantify, but maybe your feedback network can provide a basic idea. I suspect this is your expectation, but maybe a way to record before/after trip predictions/results would help for this.

Overall, this looks to be building on one of the Salt Strong focus areas that I appreciate; providing a solid basis for trip planning.

Jim Nelson

JIm Nelson

Thanks for the reply Luke. I spent an additional hour or so trying out the platform earlier today and I am very impressed with the functionality. My impression is that your team has done a thorough job testing this before release. From my initial look: pretty easy navigation; no glitches (e.g., satellite and bathymetry zooms for my selected areas to maximum resolution); and very clearly integrated information. I think it really appears to be working as intended. I focused on a few areas where I have experience around Savannah (previous years with a boat, recently kayak and shore fishing), north and south Mosquito Lagoon, and Placida FL (kayak fishing for FL). This looks like a great compilation of information for planning a trip and I’ll look forward to testing it in new areas.

One question: maybe I missed this, but what is the range for “score” (0-10) and what do various scoring levels mean? I realize that incompetence and inexperience and level of distraction can dominate outcomes of fishing trips as much as the inherent variability of nature. So is this calibrated to you in your boat casting your favorite lure? If so, with or without the dog?

Why is it said that saltwater catfish are not good to eat

Ken Wiggins

Awesome tool! Thanks guys. Looking forward to giving it a try. I am having one problem though. When I turn the tide chart sideways I do not get the weather/wind forecast. I am using an IPhone 9. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks.

Ken Wiggins

Thanks Luke. The model name of my IPhone is iPhone 7. Just to clarify, when I rotate my phone, the tide chart does not rotate with the phone with th egg weather/tide info on the heading of the chart or right side of screen. The tide chart does not rotate, it stays in the same view, just wider. Thanks again for your help.

Ken Wiggins
Reply to  Ken Wiggins

Just visited the website and the tide charts for my area are now including weather and wind information. Great news! Thanks so much for your help.

Lara DeLorenzo-Sims

I have the same problem with my Kyocera E6910. I cannot get the wind and weather, but everything else works. Thank you for any help you can give with this issue.

Lara DeLorenzo-Sims

Works great now! Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Keith Carr

Checked out the web site. Looks really nice, except all that works is the satellite maps which is really awesome, but would be super cool if all the functionality was there. Is that becasue it is in Texas? Only works in Florida for full functionality?

Keith Carr

Good morning! I tried to look at tide charts in a few other states, including FL and the only thing that works is the satellite map view. I do have a couple of anti-trackers and ad blockers working on phone so could that be why there is no web site functionality? I need to try it on desktop but I have even more ad blockers, anti-virus, anti-trackers, all that stuff on my computer.

Jonathan Getz
Reply to  Keith Carr

Keith: I’m in Texas. It was down for a little while last night, but is working now.

Most of the really good trout fishing sites in North Carolina are in the creeks of of the Pamlico Sound , Pungo , Pamlico and Nuse River . Where are the tide stations on the inner banks. We have caught our limit the last there trips up Pungo Creek.

Aaron Isban

Great Website. I have been using it for the past couple of weeks. I do miss the comments after the scores. I loved showing my boss that on a day with a score of 9, I was advised to “Call in sick and go fishing!” She actually let me go once.
Great work guys!

Jonathan Getz
Reply to  Aaron Isban

Agreed lol

Robert Douglas Tittl

the navionics sonar map on the smartfishingtides.com site has numbered lines (maybe not the proper term or terms) showing depth. is that in feet, yards, meters, fathoms, something else? thanks

Jonathan Getz

I love having all this information in one place. However, I cannot get the weather to show up with the tide chart on my Android phone.

Jonathan Getz

Yeah I saw that instruction, but unfortunately no success. I’m trying to use the site now, but unfortunately it’s not working.

Jonathan Getz
Reply to  Jonathan Getz

Thankfully it’s back up working . I’m also glad it now works on my laptop, which wasn’t the case previously. Unfortunately, I still don’t get the weather if I turn my phone sideways.

BRIAN HOFFSTETTER

Is fishing the tide still important in areas like the Indian River when you’re far away from an inlet, like say in Melbourne?

Jonathan Getz

Brian: I would say yes since I think the Indian River is still tidally influenced. In my area (TX), the lower San Jacinto River is tidally influenced several miles inland from Galveston bay.

BRIAN HOFFSTETTER

Let me ask you this then, is there an actual ebb and flow reversal in an area like Melbourne during the tide change or is it more wind driven.

I live on the Banana River which is part of the Indian River Lagoon. Changes in water level through out the lagoon system are wind driven unless you are near the inlets.

Tommy Delcambre

Just looking to pin spots and get coordinates in Smart Fishing Tides. I usually do this in Google maps but wondering if SFT had that capability so I could do it all from one place.

Great info Luke thank you so much!!👍

Tommy Delcambre

Thanks for the tutorial Luke. This tool just keeps getting better. Is there a way to drop a pin when using the satellite map?

Ken Callon

I like the way you set this up.
I have a Question.
When I pull up the tide information for Port O’Connor Texas for 11/11 Monday,
Tides4fishing has the low tide at 10:25 Am
Salt Strong has the high tide at 10:27 Am

Brett Landon

I’ve used this several times since it was released and it’s great. Didn’t think about using the radar in real time, though. Probably would have helped a couple of times. lol

Richard Fiorentino

This is awesome. Since you have all the detailed information, is it possible to include Community fishing reports and the Trend Analyser into this site?
Thanks

Jim Gabrick

Android?

Dick Frank

I love the new Smart Fishing Tides.com info, works great in my area in NE Fla., thanks so much

Gary Rankel

Luke…..your new site is awesome – a real game changer for planning future fishing trips.