Shimano Stradic FL Spinning Reel: Unboxing, Specs, Comparison

By: Tony Acevedo on February 19, 2020
Found In:

shimano stradic fl unboxing review

If you’re thinking about getting a new inshore spinning reel and you’re considering the Shimano Stradic FL, then you’re going to love this video.

I recently ordered this reel and today I’m going to unbox it with you and share the specs, as well as how it compares to the Shimano Stradic Ci4+.

We’re not affiliated with Shimano or any other fishing company, so you can be sure this review is totally unbiased.

Watch the video below to learn more about the Shimano Stradic FL.

Shimano Stradic FL Unboxing [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club (and get 20% off these reels)

➡ Click here to claim your FREE pack of Slam Shady paddletails

➡ Go to the Insider Club Discounts Page [Insiders Only]

Here’s how the specs of the Shimano Stradic FL compares to the Shimano Stradic Ci4+:

Price

Shimano Stradic FL: $209

Shimano Stradic Ci4+: $229

(Note: Insiders get 20% off these reels, as well as Diawa, Penn & Quantum reels, and other fishing equipment. Click here to join today!)

Weight

• 20 lb braid: 140 yds
  • 40 lb braid: 105 yds

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 3000:

• 10 lb braid: 200 yds
  • 20 lb braid: 140 yds
  • 40 lb braid: 105 yds

Conclusion

shimano stradic fl review

I can’t wait to test this reel out on the water!

Have you used this reel?

What were your thoughts?

Let me know in the comments below!

And if you want to get 20% off of these reels, along with Diawa, Penn & Quantum reels, and a bunch of other fishing equipment, join us in the Insider Club.

The savings from buying just one of these reels covers half of the Insider Club costs, and that doesn’t even include savings from buying other fishing gear, or the amazing fishing spots, tips, and strategies you’ll get.

Click here to join us and 12,000 other members in the Insider Club.

Stop Wasting Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Richard Farinella
1 month ago

I plan on purchasing the Shimano Stradic FL Spinning Reel (3 000) in the very near future, but I would like to know what rod you have been using in your videos. I couldn’t believe how far you were casting the Slam Shady ?? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated… Thanks a lot….

Richard Farinella
1 month ago
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Thanks for the rapid reply. It is amazing to see how far you are casting that lure.

I ended up purchasingcomment image%3Fv%3D1587591220&t=1590758341&ymreqid=156abbf9-38a9-5c3d-1cef-b70015017200&sig=qoyO9tnHSuY0qBl9cZ.nfQ–~CSt. Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rods × 1

MIS76MF. And am defintely looking forward to its arrival. Thanks again.

Vincent Jones

Though a use the CI4s and other Stradics, I would think any quality reel would work well. Reels have changed so much in 20 years. Ones that were considered high end back then would be just average now.

One thing I can absolutely promise everyone is as they say,,,, you get what you pay for!

Vinnie
Vinnie
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Tony, as I posted elsewhere, rod choices for me are limited. I also need to go MH over medium action .

Mel Bledsoe

Nice video as always Tony, thanks. I have all 3 of the reels discussed in the post. There all 3000’s.
I started fishing spinning reels about 4 years ago and bought 2 nasci reels. Good reels and I put them on mojo St. Croix split grip rods. Nice set up and caught some big fish.
Then I got a Ci4+ for Xmas 2 years ago. Great reel and zero problems. I just got a Fl for Xmas this year and love it so much I bought another one 2 weeks ago. I think it’s the best feeling reel I have.
Also I switched from split grip rods to Omen 13 green rods with full grips, 7’2″ med fast for $120.
For me the Omen rods and stradic reels are my favorite inshore combo.
Thanks, Mel

Reply to  Mel Bledsoe

I’m thinking the 3000 as well. What rod do you have it on? That’s my next addition. Thanks.

what a reivew , just repeat what the package stated. !

James Doyel

Dollar for Dollar, The FL is hands down the best reel you can buy!!! I special ordered a 3000 from overseas (yea yea I know) and received it a couple months before it was released in the States. Its also slightly different bc it’s the HG and the US version is the XG. The HG is a bit slower than the XG bc of the .2 gear ratio difference. Which I actually prefer but I love both. Straight out of the box, I knew I was going to end up replacing all my reels with Stradic FLs. It’s that good! It has the smoothness of a CI4+ and the durability of a Battle 2!!! Which I also had both in use, and switched them to all FLs. They are identical to the vanquish which is 3 times the price except 2 less bearings, which you can change if you want to for cheap. It’s a no brainer and this reel should become the most sold reel of all time.

RICHARD FIORENTINO

I think the Daiwa BG or Fuego LT are great reels and MUCH cheaper than the Stradics. Have you ever done a comparison taking price into consideration?

Damion Fauser

G’day Tony, the clear strips are for taping down the first couple wraps of your braided line to help prevent it from slipping on the spool. The first couple wraps over/around the tape bite down into it to create some friction. In a pinch you can also use standard electrical tape from the hardware store. Cheers from Australia mate, Damion

Mark Strickland

Thank you Tony and Insiders! I appreciate your comments on the durability of these reels. I have been using Penn Slammer 3’s.
The 3500 Slammer is too heavy for inshore for me. I’m going to purchase one of these Stradic’s for my inshore fishing. Now witch one do I choose? and what size?

Mark Strickland
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Tony,
The extra Spool idea is a great idea! I live in Minnesota and fly with equipment.So your idea just opened my mind to options.
Thanks

Steven Free

No Tony you got me hooked on the nasci and besides 100 dollars versus 200 I think I’ll pay 100 and to me the nasci is just as good as the stradic I have 4 of the stradics and yes they are great reels in fact all of mine I bought in 09 so they are now 11 years old and although they are great reels they are starting to show wear and tear the drags are starting to stick so I replaced them all with the nascis and am extremely pleased and instead of 800 dollars if I bought new stradics it was only 400 for the nascis thanks for all you do😁

Joseph Solomon

Own 3 Stradic 5000 FL‘s and love em. Flawless. Looking to purchase 2 3000’s for redfish in the ICW. Can you recommend a St Croix rod to pair it them using 15 lb braid?

Joseph Solomon
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Tony – Thanks for the reply. I was thinking Med Heavy but will go with the Med. Other rod suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe Gill
Reply to  Joseph Solomon

Joseph, I had similar questions when looking at a St. Croix rod. Call their Customer Service number as I did. Outstanding people. They’re based in Park Falls, WI. (800) 826-7042. They’ll be happy to answer any and all questions you may have.

Jim Woodmansee
Reply to  Joseph Solomon

Hey Joseph, I have two St Croix Avid rods. My “snook” rod is the Avid VIS76MHF which is 7’6″ MedHeavy power Fast action, rated 10-20lb and 1/2 to 1 1/4oz lures. I have 20lb power pro on this rod with 40lb leader. I have a Daiwa Fuego Lt 4000c on this rod. My all around rod is the St Croix Avid VIS76MF which is 7’6″ Med power Fast action, rated 8-17lb and 3/8 to 3/4oz lures. I use 10lb Power pro braid and 20lb leader on this rod. have a Shimano Sustain 3000 reel on this rod. I am happy with both combos. My other favorite all-around combo is my Star Plasma P817S70G 7ft rod rated 8-17lb and 1/4 to 3/4oz lures. This rod is very light but strong and casts very well for a shorter rod so I like it on my kayak. I have 10lb Power pro line with a 20lb leader on it. I have a Shimano CI4+ 2500 reel on this rod and the combo is very light and easy on the muscles for repeated casting around the mangroves.

Joseph Solomon
Reply to  Jim Woodmansee

James – Thanks for the feedback. Great to have alternatives. Only used St Croix for freshwater, am new to the saltwater.

Steven Free
Reply to  Joseph Solomon

Yea try the mojo inshore I have 2 of each in the spinning and casting great rods great warranty as well works for me😁

Joseph Solomon
Reply to  Steven Free

Steven – Thanks for responding. Was looking at the Mojo; seems like a good value (vs the Avid) and pairing with the Shimano. Time to buy.

John Castle

I have two Stradic FL 3000s. I bought both over a year ago and have used them In saltwater and fresh. The drag system works very well with a wide range of settings. When putting line on the reel it goes on evenly unlike my Shimano Sedona. With the number of bearings it is a very smooth reel. I like the 37” line retrieval per crank which comes in handy when trying to bring your bait in quickly to make another cast or catch up to a fish that is moving towards you on the strike. I like the handle which is large enough but not too big.
If you like an anti-reverse switch to turn it off and on, it does not have one. Personally I prefer a reel without it.
Great reel.

Reply to  John Castle

What rods are you pairing them with? Thanks!

John Castle
Reply to  Anonymous

St. Croix Mojo Bass 7’1” medium heavy power fast action and St. Croix Avid 6 1/2’ medium heavy power fast action.

Gregory Ramko

I think the clear strips might be to tape over the arbor knot on the spool. Just a guess.

Gregory Ramko
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Yeah. That’s possible as well. It definitely has to do with braid and the spool. It think your idea is probably the correct guess.

John Whittemore

I’ve had two of those reels for about two months now. Fished Florida (Reds, Trout, Specs and Flounder), Louisiana (biggest Red was 24lb), and Texas (Specs and Flounder so far) and the reels have performed flawlessly. Everything about them is super smooth. I made one mod which was to change out the knob, I’ve got big hands and fighting big fish is a whole lot easier. I bought my Gomexus Power Knob off Amazon. Very easy to replace.

Thomas Campbell

Pay attention to the line roller beering. My buddy who’s a charter guy, said two out of 3 of his have starting making noises and failing. Neither were dunked. Just something to keep in mind d and pay attention to.

Phil Dark

I heard
Shimano had fixed the problem

Adam Austin

Have two of the 3000 on Cajun Coastal medium fast rods. They’re my absolute favorite setup. Cast a country mile. Reel is smooth as butter. Strong as death. Well manufactured. Dunked one accidentally. It is no different than the other, perfect condition. The drag is super smooth and powerful. You can finesse a fish in the open, or you can crank down and horse a big red out of structure if you need to. These are hands down one of the best reels I’ve ever touched. I run 15# power pro on them. I’ve caught everything you can imagine inshore kayak fishing with these. They’ve got a lot of upgrades putting them on par with much more expensive reels. They won best saltwater reel at icast for a reason.

Mike

Where does the 20% discount apply? Any store?

Thx mike

Mark Strickland

I’m having trouble pulling the trigger on purchasing either of these reels, My worry is saltwater and no seals. What are peoples experience with these reels and saltwater spray. Over time how durable are they?

Adam Austin

No worries at all. I have two, and I dunked one of mine, and it performs exactly the same as the one that didn’t get dunked. They’re fantastic reels. They have a labyrinth in their design to keep water out, and they’re virtually maintenance free.

I also kayak fish, and aside from getting dunked, these things see a LOT of abuse and they’ve been flawless. I looked at things like the spinfisher in comparison, but these are way smoother, way lighter, cast better, and overall a better reel. I don’t think you’ll find something better for less than $500.

Mark Strickland
Reply to  Adam Austin

Adam, Thank you for your reply! This helps me a lot

Adam Austin

You’re welcome. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. These reels are awesome. I feel spoiled using them every time I fish. I carry both with me on every trip, and use them more than anything else I own.

Michael Cardenas

Tony, Agree with your initial assessment of the 3000 FL, mine is very smooth and no issues with the weight. My 3000 is loaded up with 10lb Hi-Vis Yellow Power Pro Braid and is paired up with a G-Loomis E6X843S-MF Inshore Saltwater Spinning Rod – 7 ft. So far very effective for inshore kayak fishing for Reds, Snook, Spotted Trout and Black Drum. Definitely one of my Go 2 combos!

Tom Watts

Capt. Tony, Very detailed analysis. Great. Thank you, Tom Watts, Naples, Fl.

Richard Konefal

Looking forward to a report after you use it. I recently bought a 3000, 4000, and 5000 fl models. I have been having sticky drag problems on the 3000, the others are fine.

James Prescott

Hey Tony, I look forward to your video after you’ve field tested it. I’ve been using the Ci4+ for the last few years. I love them! I haven’t had any bearing issues, so I’ve been lucky there. Even though it’s a bit pricey, I definitely think it’s worth the extra cost. I’ve caught a lot of fish on it. I caught a 46 inch snook on the ci4+ 2500 and it handled it like a champion!

David Ulgenalp

Glad someone else finally discovered that there’s very little difference except the cost between the two. I think you’ll be pleased with the performance of the Stradic FL.

John Mitchell

As always Tony good report on the reeIs love my Ci4 3000 just purchase a nasci 3000 on tfo and so far it’s great as well. Keep up the good work thanks.

Great comparison, I’ve used them both. Very fine reels the ci is bit more softer to use in my opinion and haven’t had any problems so far

Johnny Valdivia

How do I get the 20% on the reel. Thanks for the info always great.