Shutting Down Fishing At One Of The Busiest Fishing Piers Due To This???
Can you imagine shutting down fishing at a fishing pier?
The irony is not lost on us…
But sadly, the talk about shutting down the Skyway Bridge Fishing Pier (one of the most visited and largest fishing piers in the state of Florida) is real.
Mostly due to pelicans being tangled, mangled, and even killed due to irresponsible actions by a small number of anglers who don’t know the proper way to safely release a bird if it does get hooked.
But before you dismiss this, please listen in to hear what we can do as anglers to help educate others and ensure that our piers, jetties, and public fishing spaces are safe places for both humans and nature.
Find out more in the episode below!!
You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I highly recommend), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
Shutting Down Fishing At Busy Pier [PODCAST]
- BOTTOM TRAWLING ON ONE OF THE BEST GROUPER SPAWNING REEFS OF ALL TIME???
- MAKING SENSE OF NEW REDFISH REGULATIONS IN FLORIDA (PLUS COBIA CARCASS PAYDAY)
- What To Do IF You Hook A Pelican
- Steps To Rescue A Hooked Bird
- Seabird Rehabilitators and Transporters
Here is a timestamped version of this important episode:
- 2:00 – Shutting Down Fishing At The Skyway Fishing Pier
- 6:50 – What To Do When You Hook A Bird
- 9:15 – DO NOT LEAVE LINE IN THE WATER
- 10:38 – Fishing Docks or Bridges
- 11:31 – FWC Data and Statistics
- 13:25 – Bird Behaviors
- 19:00 – Important Things To Remember
- 22:30 – FWC Resources & Contacts
- 23:30 – Don’t Feed The Wildlife
- 24:16 – Precautions YOU Can Take
- 25:37 – What can be considered FEEDING the birds
- 27:32 – Using Artificial Lures
- 31:28 – Topwater Lures
- 34:20 – Handling Pelicans (bring a Towel with you on every trip!!)
- 36:55 – Showing Beginners The Basics
- 39:36 – Learn more about Hubbard’s Marina
Shutting Down Fishing At Busy Pier [VIDEO]
How To Properly Rescue A Hooked Pelican [VIDEO]
It is our responsibility as anglers to first take care of our marine ecosystems and to also educate others on how to best interact with wildlife.
The answer is education and showing everyone the resources available to them so we all can enjoy fishing.
Please keep these lessons in mind and share this podcast with anglers of all skill levels to help spread awareness and educate those that do not yet know.
Do you have any additional questions about this episode?
We’d love to hear your feedback down in the comments!!
What more do you think should be done to solve this issue?
And if you know someone who wants to learn more about shutting down fishing at a busy pier, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
Oh, and if you Join the Insider Club TODAY, Smart Fishing Spots is absolutely FREE! Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: