How To Save Time & Money On Surf Fishing Rigs (Top 3 Rigging Hacks)

surf fishing rig

The other day I was prepping for my upcoming surf fishing trip and I ran into a bit of a problem…

I was going to be targeting pompano, but none of the stores had floats.

My trip was the next day, so instead of ordering them online and waiting a few days for them to come in, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own floats.

The floats I made looked just like the store-bought ones but were a fraction of the cost.

In the video below, I’m going to show you how to make your own floats, plus I’ll show you two other surf fishing rig hacks that will save you time and money.

Enjoy!

Top 3 Surf Fishing Rig Hacks [VIDEO]

Hack #1: Using A Dropper Loop To Quickly Switch Gear

When you use a dropper loop instead of knots and swivels, it allows you to switch things like floats, beads, or hooks much quicker.

Just thread the loop through the bead and float, thread it through the eye of the hook, then bring it back over the hook to secure it onto the loop.

Then, when you want to change parts of the rig, just loosen the knot at the hook and put on different gear.

Hack #2: Use Trading Card Protectors To Store Your Rigs

If you’re like me, your tackle box is probably full of pre-tied rigs that are all tangled up together.

I was sick of it taking me so long to untangle them and actually start fishing, so I came up with this solution.

Remember when people collected trading cards, such as sports cards?

Well, those plastic trading card protectors can also store your surf fishing rigs for you.

Just fold up your rig and tuck it neatly into the compartment.

You can also fold up the page, keep it folded with a rubber band, and store it in your tackle box.

This will take up very little room compared to how many rigs you can store in there.

Each page can hold up to 9 rigs, and I got a pack of 10 pages from Walmart the other day that just cost about $3.

Hack #3: Make DIY Floats

To make your own floats, just grab a cheap pair of flip flops from Walmart or the Dollar Store and get a piece of copper tubing, or any other circular metal instrument about 1/4″ in diameter.

Place the copper tubing on top of the flip flop and use a hammer to punch out a chunk of it.

Then, use an ice pick, drill bit, or small screwdriver to put a hole through the center to thread your leader through.

One pair of $0.89 flip flops can make about 40-60 floats, compared to a pack of 10 floats that you get from the tackle store for $4-5.

Conclusion

surf fishing pompano

These simple hacks can help save you time and money if you just get a little creative with your surf fishing rigs.

Have any questions about these hacks?

Do you have any other hacks you like to use?

Let us know in the comments below!

And if you know someone who surf fishes, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Stop Wasting Your Valuable Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • 20% OFF ALL of your fishing tackle (rods, reels, line, lures, and more from ALL of the biggest brands in America)

James Silverman
James Silverman
1 month ago

When do you use the floats next to the hooks on your surf rig? And why?

1 month ago

I store pomp rigs on a 2” piece of a thin pool noodle. Cut a diagonal notch in one side to secure the swivel, wrap the line around it, sticking the hook points in, then cut another diagonal notch for the snap swivel. Put it in a sandwich bag. No tangles.

Josh Norris
Josh Norris
1 month ago

I havent done a ton of surf fishing but when Ive gone in the past, I havent used a float near my hooks. Is there an important purpose for having one?

John Frymier
John Frymier

Great ideas! Thanks!

John E Haines
John E Haines
1 month ago

How well does this work for fishing dead sardines in 65-90′ of water for muttons, etc. Perhaps even line white bait?? Obviously with much longer leads off the main 30lb??

Bear
Bear
1 month ago

How do you put an EASY to use HOLE in the floats you make.????????

Scott Rispaud
Scott Rispaud
1 month ago

Great hack Wyatt! I’ve made them from a few things but that was great. I have also used the cutting tool from a grommet maker which is sharp and cuts clean. A quick edge can be put on the copper with a file to cut cleanly. Lastly, I put a loop at the bottom of the rig so I can change out weights as the current changes with tide and wind. I also stick the tip of my hooks into the float before packaging to keep from getting tangled.

Phil Shores
Phil Shores

awesome tip

Hank vann
Hank vann
1 month ago

I use small zip lock sandwich bags, and secure the hooks in either end of a wine cork. Can use the corks to stop tangling up your rods when changing locations and you don’t want to break the rods down

rich
rich
1 month ago

how did you put the hole in the float for the hook?

Jeremy Sims
Jeremy Sims
1 month ago

Cool hack with the flip flop! I’m loving the surf fishing content.

Tom Watts
Tom Watts

Tony, Thank you. I did not know about Gulp Alive. Thanks, Tom Watts, Naples, Fl

David Hagler
David Hagler
1 month ago

Great hack, will try this during my New Jersey beach fishing trip.

David Baldwin
David Baldwin
1 month ago

Fantastic hacks! Not only will it same money and time, it will reduce the amount of “stuff” you have to carry/pull to the beach. Keep them coming…

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).