How To Tie The Best Surf Fishing Rig (Saves Time & Catches More Fish)

best surf fishing rig

It’s beach fishing time!!

In this video, I’m going to show you how to tie my favorite rig for surf fishing.

I’ve fished from the beach for many years, have tried a bunch of different rigs, and this one is my favorite by far.

It does take a little bit of extra time up front, but it’s worth it, especially if there are toothy fish like sharks or Spanish mackerel around, or if there are a lot of rocks or other objects to get snagged on.

Before I learned how to tie this rig, if I got broken off, I would have to retie the whole thing, but with this design, if you get broken off, all you have to do is retie one small part of it.

This saves you loads of time on the water, which helps you catch more fish.

Learn how to tie the best rig for surf fishing below.

Best Rig For Surf Fishing [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club

Mentioned knots

This rig is made of a core and three offshoots.

The core is tied with 30 lb leader, and the offshoots are tied with 20 lb leader, so that if you get snagged or hook into a toothy fish, you will lose just the offshoot and not the entire leader.

In the past, I used to tie my dropper rigs with just one piece of leader, but tying them that way causes you to have to retie the whole thing if you lose one part of it.

This way, if anything breaks off, it’s simple to just tie on a new offshoot.

Alright, let’s get into the steps of how to tie this rig.

Step 1: Tie a loop using a double overhand knot at the end of your 30 lb leader.

This will be the bottom of the core.

Step 2: Tie the first dropper loop.

I usually tie this about 10″ from the bottom loop.

Step 3: Tie the second dropper loop.

I usually tie this second loop about 15-20″ above the first loop.

Step 4: Cut the leader about 10-15″ above the top dropper loop.

This is the top of the core and I like to connect this rig to my main line with an FG knot.

Now the core is done and it’s time to work on the offshoots.

Step 5: Tie a perfection loop at the end of your 20 lb leader.

Step 6: Cut the offshoot to about 7-8″ in length.

Step 7: Connect one of the core loops with the offshoot loop using a loop-to-loop connection.

Step 8: Tie a hook on the end of the offshoot with an Orvis knot.

I prefer the Orvis knot here, but other knots will work.

Step 9: Tie on the second offshoot repeating steps 5-8.

Step 10: Using 20 lb leader, tie an Orvis knot to the loop on the bottom of the core.

Step 11: Cut off about 10″ and tie a large perfection loop at the bottom of the offshoot.

This will allow you to loop it over a weight and make it easier to change out weights.

And there you have it!

The ultimate surf fishing rig.

Conclusion

beach rig for snook

By tying this rig with a 30 lb core and 20 lb offshoots, if you get snagged, you increase the chances of one of your offshoots breaking off, instead of the core.

Tying it this way helps you spend more time fishing when you’re out on the water, instead of tying rigs.

Have any questions about this rig?

Let me know in the comments below!

And if you know someone who likes to fish from the beach, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Stop Wasting Your Valuable Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • 20% OFF ALL of your fishing tackle (rods, reels, line, lures, and more from ALL of the biggest brands in America)

Bob Pelt
Bob Pelt
1 month ago

great video. Question is their a place or app I can go to get daily fishing updates for panama city FL

Robert Janger
Robert Janger
1 month ago

Thanks Luke. That’s a good tip about using a combination of 30 lb and 20 lb mono. I’ve always built mine out of one continuous piece of 30 lb mono (like John Skinner) but I have lost entire rigs before. I’m going to start using that 30/20 lb combo and see how it works out.

Robert Janger
Robert Janger
1 month ago

Added bonus! This lets you adjust the height of the bottom dropper off the bottom on the fly by increasing/decreasing the connection to the bottom weight. Now I can get by tying up a few of the core units and adjusting the height to wherever the best bite is taking place for the target species.

George Kalet
George Kalet

Hi Luke, thanks for the tips on building this rig. I’ve been wanting to get out on the beach and this may just push me over the edge. I do have one question though. You’re using 30 lb. test mono for the core, 20 lb. test mono for the sinker and hook drops. You do suggest using braid for the main line, but never mention what the test weight of the main line should be. What are the chances of the main line breaking and losing the whole rig?

Steve Weyl
Steve Weyl

Luke – have you used this rig for reef fishing with shrimp/cutbait (i.e. for sheepshead, mangs, etc)?

Jeffrey Walker
Jeffrey Walker

Would you ever tie a swivel somewhere up that line for the rig to mainline connection? Rather than using an FG knot.

Bill White
Bill White

Wow, this is a great dropper rig that makes it easy to retie break-offs! Thanks for the easy to understand video.

Art Heiter
Art Heiter

Credit where credit is due… that is a simple clean well thought out rig.

Val Douis
Val Douis

Luke. Interesting and I will use when prepping my pompano rigs with bead and various colored floats. I like the idea that if you get hung up you won’t loss the entire rig. Question at the sinker end why not tie a simple loop knot rather than an orvis as it’s a quicker knot to tie? I did find the orvis knot interesting , but think that I will use the improved cinch for attaching hook.

Stan Mitchell
Stan Mitchell

As always great video Luke, you could use that rig off shore for snapper as well right ?

John
John

Looks good to me

Great rig, thanks for posting this.
Looks like you got a haircut too! LOL
~JOE~

John Frymier
John Frymier

I really like the idea of the 30 lb core – I’ve been tying surf rigs with three 16 inch sections of 20 lb Vanish, two uni-uni knots holding them together and keeping both tags about 6 – 7 inches long. I tie the hook on one of the tags, and if I loose it, I can tie another one on the other tag and keep fishing. BUT – I think this idea of a stronger core is better. Thanks!

ps – I learned to tie an Orvis knot from the insert that comes with Orvis tapered fly leaders – they only go through once on the last step.

David Atkins
David Atkins

Luke, Awsome video, and as anothe member said I’m tired of buying rigs so this will be my go to rig for fishing; anyone who wants to learn how to become more successful fishing should join, since I’ve joined and learned so much I’ve been outfishing my fishing buddies every trip, does being a member work well the proof is in the cooler. I tell my friends they go fishing and I go catching, lol and after we come back they agree!

Barry E
Barry E

Wow. You guys do it so different to UK beach fishing. We use more swivels and links as we believe the knots weaken the rig. And take several rigs out with us to swap over. Pre baiting rigs so we can save the bait up time on the rig in the water. Plus we use 10lb per ounce of sinker used on our leader 6 oz sinker = 60lb leader (20lb snood) example… What type of fish are we talking here?

Perry Van Hook
Perry Van Hook

Hey Luke, Looks like a great rig, with the egg sinker,for anyone who likes to take the head,party, boats out with there own rods. I like a good trip out for some grunts,might not be the most special fish in the gulf. But they’re good eating. Always get some snags,seems like. Thanks so much for all the tips.

Perry
Perry

Like i said, thanks for all the tips, will try that for sure!

David
David

Awesome video. That really took no time and honesty, I am tired of buying someone else rig. Thanks, and for the rest of the world out there, if your not a member, you are missing out.

Phil
Phil

???????? Don’t surf fish much anymore since I got the boat, but I will save this for future reference. ✌????

David Atkins
David Atkins
Reply to  Phil

Works great on a boat too, I used to buy my rigs for spot/croaker fishing but this one works just as well and costs really nothing to make other than some time.

glad you’re here…thank you for the tips

Anthony Bishop
Anthony Bishop

Nice rig!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).