3 Best Ways To Rig Gulp Shrimp (And When To Use Each Method)

By: Tony Acevedo on January 23, 2019
Found In:

best way to rig gulp shrimp

It’s GULP Shrimp time again!

There’s no denying the fact that Berkley Gulp shrimp work…

Yes, they can get expensive (especially if you get attacked by a hungry school of pinfish or pufferfish), but these scented shrimp outright catch fish (check out how many fish we caught using Gulp shrimp on this recent cold and windy day).

And after catching every type of inshore fish imaginable with these baits, we’ve found that there are three best ways to rig them.

So we had Salt Strong Fishing Coach Tony Acevedo put together an awesome video showing you all three.

Plus, he talks about the best times to use each Gulp shrimp rig.

Enjoy and let us know if you have any rigging questions by leaving a comment below.

Pa-POW!

Top 3 Ways To Rig Gulp Shrimp

Gulp Shrimp: Rig Upside Down Or Rightside Up?

You can get a pack of these shrimp from our online store here.

And if you want 20% off our entire store for life, click here to join us in the Insider Club!

In addition to 20% off for life, you’ll also get our best fishing spots and tips.

Any questions on rigging these Gulp shrimp?

Let us know in the comments below.

The Inshore Fishing Blackbook (PDF DOWNLOAD)

Do you want to see the top 100 inshore fishing tips that have helped countless anglers become more CONSISTENT, more CONFIDENT, and given them the FREEDOM to find productive new spots fast?

Then click here to download your free copy now.

Related Posts:

Do Berkley Gulp Baits Really Work? What’s Inside That Gulp Juice (see it here now)

How To Rig A Berkley Gulp Shrimp For More Bites (see it here now)

Berkley Gulp Swimming Mullet Review & Underwater Footage (see it here now)

P.S. – If you think any of your angler friends or fishing networks would like to see this, please Tag them or Share this with them. You Rock! Pa-POW!

Craig Wycinsky

Hi Tony
Thanks again for another great video. I’m not having trouble rigging the Gump Shrimp, I am however, having a terrible time riggings all the swim/paddletail fish type Gulp products. I use the Owner Spring Lock Hooks and find they are the best. The problem I am having is getting the hook point to come out of the bait at the right distance from the spring lock. I’ve learned to “feel” the hook through the center of the bait, but I find I have to bend the front of the swim baits awkwardly to insert the hook at the correct point so that when it emerges from the top of the bait, it’s centered, the perfect distance from the spring lock (ie, The front of the bait), and the bait swims true. What is happening is that it is taking numerous attempts involving a lot of bait bending, twisting , some cursing, and a lot of probing to get that hook point to come out of the bait in exactly the right spot. The only thing I can think of is that my hook size may be too small for my bait. I am thinking of inventing a Gulp Jerk Shad bending tool!

Any suggestions? Thanks, Craig

Good report Tony, do you guys ever use the Gulp Mantis Shrimp? I rig it on a 1/8 ounce twist lock and have done real well with them for along time. I know they do not cast as good as a 3 inch Gulp Shrimp but work very good throwing along the shore being weedless(and tree less). Thanks for all the good kayak reports, Ron

Mel Bledsoe

I use an 1/8 oz. jig head and gulp shrimp all the time on grass flats. I just retrieve it just fast enough so it doesn’t snag on the grass. It takes some practice though. Drives my fishing buddy nuts, because he does get a lot of grass. Practice, practice, practice grass hopper.😁😁😁

Dan
Dan

P. s. – Luke’s video shows the ahrimp oriented with the white side down. Maybe you two could have a throw down to see who is correct 😎

Reply to  Dan

99% of the bait has a light belly and a darker top, I always rig all my artificials light side down

Dan
Dan

OK. – Tony why do you think the white side is up on this new penny gulp shrimp?? It seems like I am not the only one that thought it was the opposite!?

Captain Brian Davis

Awesome

Robert Johnson

light side down always always always try finding a shrimp with dark side down. never happened never will

Tom Wildman

Hi Tony
Good video. I’ll have to try the weedless method as I always seem to get hung up on oyster beds with the jighead. Thanks, Tom

Paul Giannetto

Hi Tony. Great advice thank you. But are you not rigging the Gulp shrimp unnaturally. The standard in nature for saltwater creartures is that the darker side is the back.

Dave Frymier
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

I’m not sure I buy that – seems to me the white side should be down.

John McGinty

Great tips Tony. Same question as Brian below – does it matter which side is facing up? Thanks.

John McGinty
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Thanks Tony for quick reply. Very helpful.

Greg Batchelor

Good Stuff Tony!

Thanks! Great ideas. Never thought about rigging it different ways!

Brian
Brian

Hi Tony. You rigged the bait and it appears the underside of the shrimp would be facing up. Are there pros and cons of which side faces up? Thanks.

Doug Spears
Reply to  Brian

Yeah, I’m curious about that too. When I look at the bait I think the darker, textured side is the top. Consequently, while I rig in all three ways you suggest, am I rigging it upside down?

Glenn Acomb

Tony: I have rigged Gulp! shrimp the two ways – on jig and weedless. It seems like I have done better with the jig head than the weedless so that sometimes I don’t worry about snagging on grass or rock. On rare occasions I do get snagged. Has anyone else found the jig head to be much more productive?

David Dysart