The Difference Between 4-Strand & 8-Strand Braided Line

What exactly is the difference between braided lines?

And is one superior over the other?

In this video, you’ll learn:

• Pros & cons of each braided line
  • The biggest difference between 4-strand and 8-strand
  • How braided line is made
  • And more

Check it out below!

4-Strand Vs 8-Strand Braided Line [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to get PowerPro Original

➡ And click here to get Daiwa J-Braid 8 Grand

Before we dive into the differences, let’s talk about how braided fishing line is made.

And don’t worry, we will not be giving a test or having a spelling bee when we’re done!

What Is Braided Fishing Line?

It’s gel spun ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene.

While that sounds complicated, the process for making is relatively simple.

A raw material (polyethylene) is melted down and extruded through a porous membrane.

Then that polyethylene is spun onto bobbins and these bobbins work in conjunction with one another to weave the strands together.

Think of a merry-go-round.

This process produces the raw product.

Two common trade name fibers commonly used are spectra and dyneema.

And there’s really not one that’s superior over the other because molecularly they are very similar.

What really separates them is how a company manipulates the raw product to create the final product that you use on the water.

The Difference Between 4-Strand & 8-Strand Braid

Companies like PowerPro and Daiwa create the line you use on the water with different resins, coatings, heat-treating processes, dyes, etc.

And those final components are what sets the lines apart from each other.

So what are the application differences?

While the diameters are the same when comparing a 10# PowerPro (4-strand) to a 10# J-Braid (8-strand), the 4-strand performs very differently.

The 4-strand PowerPro casts far, it’s strong and it’s very abrasion-resistant.

And the coarseness of the line helps it cut through grass or debris pretty easily.

A con of a coarse line is that it’s really audible.

You can hear a raspiness on the guides of your rod as you retrieve but this does not affect performance.

A pro is that it’s more economical because it’s made with less material.

Another con of 4-strand is it’s not as round and consistent as an 8-strand.

The increased number of fibers in the 8-strand makes it stronger.

And Daiwa J-Braid 8 Grand is made with the ‘super fiber’ IZANAS.

The molecular structure of this fiber is known for being 4 times more abrasion resistant than the traditional 4-strand fibers of PowerPro.

So this 8-strand is very round, consistent, smooth, abrasion-resistant, and super strong!

Conclusion

braided line color

While PowerPro is a great braided line, Daiwa absolutely knocked it out of the park with this J-Braid 8 Grand!

You can get both braided lines from our shop here:

Have any questions about how braided line is made?

Or which one may be better for you?

Let me know down in the comments!

Chris Stanard

Bravo! Let’s all throw away another American made product and buy made in Japan. Well done.

Stephen Allen

Great break down Justin, good info to know, thanks for sharing.

Thom Ray

Very well done Justin. I figured out years ago that 8 strand Sufix 832 was such a better line on my low profile baitcasters but I didn’t know why. It’s back to the “roundness” of the line. 8 strand braid now allows for 20lb or 25lb in baitcasters where before I wouldn’t drop below 30lb.
Good stuff.

Travis Taylor

Great presentation Justin. One question that I’ve been wondering for a while is that it has seemed that Power Pro (4 strand) has been the go to by most professional anglers for quite some time SaltStrong team included. I completely understand the switch to 8 strand and have been fishing it for around 12 years give or take. Is there any specific reason that the SaltStrong team chose the Daiwa 8 strand line over PowerPro’s 8 strand line?

Mark Ethridge

Very informative, Thanks for posting Justin!

Richard Fiorentino

I don’t know about J Braid, but I have never had a wind knot problem with Power Pro and will not switch

Pablo Diaz

Great overview – thanks for the breakdown on the 4 and the 8 strand braided lines

Bob Bendelow

Here you say that the Power Pro is “very abrasion-resistant”. Compared to what? In earlier tests braid was way worse at abrasion resistance compared to mono and flourocarbon. If the new 8 way braid is 4 time as resistant, it’s still WAY worse than mono?

Art Heiter

Off the beach I have had the same wind knot experience with the 10 lb J-braid. On an insider tip, and like David, I moved up to 20 lb J-braid and the wind knot issue has been pretty much eliminated. I’m finding my casting distance to be the same if not a bit further than the 10 lb PP. Something to consider…

Pat Ogletree

So elephant in the room question, why have I had so many issues with wind knots with J Braid Grand and not with any others including regular 8 strand J Braid? I’ve tried a bunch of different braids, and each have their issues, but the Grand is way more susceptible to wind knots. I want to like this line but when a trip is cut short because I have two rods out of commission due to knotted up line, it makes it hard to. Am I doing something wrong?

Dave Otte
Reply to  Justin Ritchey

I have had the same experience as Pat with wind knots and J-Braid Grand. I prefer regular Power Pro and its stiffness. I see it as a benefit.

Dave Otte
Reply to  Dave Otte

P.S. You did a great job with this analysis and it is very informitive! Thanks Justin!