Top 3 Fishing Lures That Catch Bass AND Redfish

By: Tony Acevedo on June 22, 2020
Found In:

lures that catch bass and redfish

Here’s a question we’ve been getting a lot recently:

What lures work for both bass and inshore saltwater fish, like redfish, snook, and trout?

If you’re planning on fishing both fresh and saltwater one day, or you’re making a change from fresh to salt or vice versa, here’s the good news: you don’t need to go out and get totally new lures.

There are a handful of lures that will catch fish no matter where you’re fishing.

Because although these fish might live in different types of water, they’re all very similar in how they feed.

They all want easy meals and can’t resist what appears to be an injured baitfish.

So in this video, I’m going to share with you the top three types of lures that will catch bass and redfish, snook or trout.

3 Lures That Catch Bass & Saltwater Fish [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to grab a free pack of Slam Shadys

➡ Click here to get a pack of Alabama Leprechauns

Topwater Lures

Whether you’re targeting bass, redfish, snook, or trout, none of these predator fish can turn down a rattling, plastic cylinder twitching across the surface.

It looks just like a hurt baitfish and it generates lots of reaction strikes.

I’ve found that using a walk-the-dog style retrieve is the best way to get these fish to hit, and my favorite topwater lure is a Heddon Super Spook Jr.

Paddletail Lures

Paddletails are excellent for catching pretty much all species of fish.

The wiggling tail gives off a lot of vibration in the water, which attracts fish, plus it gives the lure lifelike action.

You can put it on a swimbait hook and buzz it across the surface in grass for bass, or put it on a weighted hook or jig head to get a little deeper for saltwater fish.

My favorite paddletail is the Slam Shady.

Jerk Shad

A jerk shad is also great at catching both freshwater and saltwater fish.

I like to rig it on a weighted swimbait hook and bounce it along the bottom, which mimics an injured baitfish or a fleeing shrimp.

My favorite jerk shad is the Alabama Leprechaun.

Best Lure Colors

Although the color is important, it doesn’t matter as much as size, profile, action, and whether or not you’re fishing where the fish are (join us in the Insider Club if you need help finding feeding fish!).

That being said, our favorite paddletail color is white, and our favorite jerk shad color is green.

In both of those colors, we like specks of gold and silver, which helps attract fish.

As far as topwater lure color, it matters even less because fish are looking at it from the bottom up, and usually will only see a silhouette or the bottom of the lure.

However, we’ve had a lot of success with white topwaters (specifically, the Heddon Super Spook Jr. in the bone color) probably because most baitfish have a white belly.

Conclusion

speckled trout on owner twistlock hook

Whether you’re fishing for bass in a lake, or redfish, snook, or trout on the flats, here are three lures that can catch all of these fish:

But although lures are important, they’re not as important as fishing where hungry fish are.

It doesn’t matter if you’re working these lures like a pro, if there are no fish in the area, you’re going to get skunked.

So if you want all of our best fishing spots, as well as tips to find your own honey holes, click here to join us in the Insider Club.

P.S. You’ll also get discounts on all of the gear in our online shop.

Stop Wasting Your Valuable Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • 20% OFF ALL of your fishing tackle (rods, reels, line, lures, and more from ALL of the biggest brands in America)

Rick

Freshwater rapalas,devilshorse,spoons n pork rhine,grubs,sinkos,10″ rubber worms, chugbugs,mr twisters…caught bass and snook on all of those and more. Even on a hula popper.

JAMES MCNEILL

GREET VIDIO TO THE POINT CLEAR AND FAST THANKS JUST JOINED COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO YESTERDAY WE WERE OUT IN BOAT CAUGHT 28 IN SNOOK MADE MY LIFE BETTER WE HAD FUN THANKS SALT STRONG

Steven Free

Great advice Tony although I would have to add 1 more lure to the list the spinnerbait my go to lure for flounder and reds to after the topwater bite is over and have caught tons of largemouth bass on them as well both reds and largemouth love weeds and the spinnerbait is a hard one to beat in the grass also a weedless spoon is great for both thats why i love inshore salt fishing all the lures i used for bass work great in the salt to you just have to take care of your tackle and flush it more if using in the saltwater

Andy Benedict

I have been using the super spook jr lots lately here in TN. Have been catching lots of smallmouth bass in small creeks and ponds. One retrieve resulted in TWO 12+ inch smallies fighting over the spook jr.! Almost landed both but just one held on.

David H

A Zman chatterbait with a trimmed skirt and a soft plastic trailer thrown at a mangrove island at the point where water is moving or an eddy is prevalent will produce redfish strikes in late spring and early summer in the waters inside the st Lucie inlet. Pumpkin and blueish skirts are effective. Who knew?

Ed Mascellino

Hi guys, Whenever there is a tutorial on how to use a top water like a skitterwalk they’re always saying keep your rod tip down but what if you’re wade fishing or in a kayak is it fished the same way just rod tip up? Thanks

Pat Ogletree

That’s pretty much exactly what I would pick too. This post had me thinking what else might work on both Fresh and inshore.
Possibilities:
Gold Spoon
Senko
Mirrodines
Traditional Spinnerbaits
Silicon skirted jigs
Zoom Trick Worms

I bet there’s something that bass guys and gals use that we wouldn’t think of that would be killer on reds and vice versa. Might have to do some more experimenting.

Philip Gammans

Yeah boi! just got me some bama baits. I thought they were sold out as I didn’t find them in the shop. Can’t wait to try them out.

Great video Tony I am trying to narrow my tackle box down some but these will always be in it.

David Crenshaw

My oldest son and I tried to go shrimping tonight, but the severe weather sent us packing! We are wondering how to tell/know when it’s a good time to go. We called local bait shops from Viera to Titusville and no one had an answer!! We live here in Viera(N. Melbourne).
I noticed that bioluminescence was awesome tonight! Does that have any indication of food for shrimp?

Ben
Ben

While using a walk-the-dog lure, has anyone found it more effective to work it with pauses or just a straight retrieve?

Caden Kaufman

Sorry what is your email.

Malcolm Hayward

Love to see the Heddon lure.

Caught so much on their tiny “Flatfish” in the early ’80s. Upper NY State. Adirondacks.

Joshua Guy

Question have you guys heard using spider crabs for Bait?

Randy
Randy

I’m a freshwater fisherman that only gets to fish saltwater about once a year. I agree with all your choices but must recommend a chatterbait too. I love the surprise on people’s faces when they see me catching snook and redfish on those “bass” lures.

Rich

I’m on the West Coast. Do you guys plan on ever making trips out here to expand your reach?

Edward Gilbert

I can tell you I have caught bass on the Slam Shady.

Robert Bigelow

Holy mackerel I did a double take when I saw the word Bass in the email! The Sweetwater fish don’t get a whole lot of coverage here on salt strong but I’m sure everyone is glad to see it when it arises. Awesome post! Thanks Tony.

Ed Mascellino

What size hook are you using when you replace the treble on a top water? Thanks

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Ed Mascellino

That depends on the lure in particular that you’re using… there’s a helpful chart showing the proper size ranges for some of the most popular lures here: https://shop.saltstrong.com/products/single-hooks

Gabriel Leib

Funny you post this. I just caught a bass on the slam shady 2.0 this evening lol

Caden Kaufman

Could you use a zoom super fluke in saltwater?

Caden Kaufman
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Thank you but I have one question that I could hope you could help me with. I am 13 and I could use the help. I am fishing here in August and do you think I could catch fish here? I will email you the pics.