The Best Loop Knot For Fluorocarbon Leader To Lure or Hook [Knot Contest]

By: Luke Simonds on October 3, 2017
Found In:

best loop knot for fishing

It’s Loop Knot Time!

Loop knots are extremely important to anglers who use artificial lures because they allow the baits to have the most action possible.

Since loop knots are an essential part of inshore fishing, we decided to host a “fishing knot contest” that put the top 4 most popular loop knots in a head-to-head battle so we could determine the best loop knot for fluorocarbon leader line.

Given that it can’t benefit from the 360-degree friction against the hook, the breaking strength of loop knots will be lower than most of the snug knot options. However, the added action that it provides to your lure makes it worthwhile… I highly recommend using this style whenever using artificial lures.

Here are the top snug knots that we tested in this fishing knot analysis:

• Kreh Loop Knot (aka: Non-Slip Loop Knot)
  • Perfection Loop Knot
  • Rapala Loop Knot
  • Canoe Man Loop

Kreh Loop Knot (Non-Slip Loop Knot)

The ‘Kreh loop knot’ has been my knot of choice for the past 5 years once I found out about it. It’s easy to tie, has good strength, and its tag-end points down towards the lure allowing for it to be as weedless as possible.

See below for a video on how to tie it.

Note: Another name for this knot is the “Non-Slip Loop Knot”. The strength test results are shown below.

Perfection Loop Knot

I learned the ‘perfection loop knot’ years ago from a great flyfisherman (shout out to Dennis Aust) who is good friends with our family. It’s often used by fly fishermen for loop to loop connections, but it’s also very popular for tying on hooks and small lures to leader via a loop connection given its strength and ease of tying.

See video for details on how to tie the Perfection Loop Knot.

Note: Strength test results are shown below.

Rapala Loop Knot

The ‘Rapala loop knot’ is very similar to the Kreh loop knot, except that it has one added twist. The pro of this extra step is that it adds some strength to the knot. However, the downfall is that it leaves a weed-catching tag end that sticks straight up and is slightly more difficult to tie. Here’s a video that shows how to tie it:

Here’s a video that shows how to tie it:

Note: Strength test results are shown below.

Canoe Man Loop

The ‘Canoe Man Loop’ knot really impressed me when I first came across it… very easy to tie, strong, and the tag-end points down.

However, its strength when doing my initial tests with standard mono line did not translate over the fluorocarbon leader. Not sure why, but it scored lowest of the 4 consistently with fluoro while being one of the best with standard mono.

Here’s how to tie it in case you’re curious though:

Note: Strength test results are shown below.

CONCLUSION

Leader to Lure Loop Knot Winner

Although not quite the strongest in the category, my preference is staying with the Kreh Loop knot (aka. Non-Slip Loop knot) given that it’s easier to tie than the Rapala and that it’s tag end points directly down making it tough for those pesky weeds to ruin a presentation in front of a hungry fish.

For these line types, it’s breaking range matches exactly to the winner of the best braided line to fluorocarbon leader connection that we found in our line-to-line knot contest, so using the Kreh knot won’t cause any harm to the strength of the overall system.

Leader to Lure Knots

This diagram shows the head to head matches that took place as part of this analysis. The test consisted of 3 rounds where the 3rd round was the winning knot tied against itself to test its strength. The red values below the names of the knots represent the amount of pull strength that the knots were able to withstand in each round.

Note: Lines used were 10 lb PowerPro braid and 30 lb Ande Fluorocarbon.

This knot testing is continuous… we’re always seeking out better styles/methods, and we will, of course, update this page as new/better knots come to light.

If you have a great leader to hook/lure knot that is not included here, please leave a comment below or send us an email – fish@saltstrong.com

We’ll include it in our next knot testing and let you know how it compares to the others.

Go To Our Knot Testing Homepage [Full Knot Rankings]

Join The Fastest-Growing Fishing Community In America!

• Daily fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • 20% off all fishing tackle and gear (All major brands)
  • Private community of fellow saltwater anglers
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

IAN SYME
IAN SYME

I am afraid your Kreh Loop Knot explanantion is not only wrong, but poorly explained and shown. You put the tag end through the middle of the loop when it should be alongside the existing two lengths of nylon so that all three lengths of nylon are entering and exiting the loop on the same plane. Sorry to say this but Tightline Videos have a much better instruction.

Michael Bishop

Luke, have you tested the surgeon’s loop as a fluorocarbon to lure or hook loop knot?

ROY l NOBLIN

i see little difference in break strength between the kreh and the rapala but i do see big difference in the direction the tag end winds up pointing so i will go with the kreh

FYI, that loop shouldn’t be called the “Kreh knot.” It was not Lefty Kreh’s. He said he liked it and used it, but didn’t invent it. Not sure he knew who did.

peter freeman
peter freeman

sorry… should mention it was 80lb black magic supple to 50lb braid in all circumstances. the biggest barra was 1 metre plus

peter freeman
peter freeman

i lost 6 big barra last summer. twice the rapalla knot broke at the loop. three times at the knot and once at the fg knot to the braid(probably my fault for not snubbing up the knot)… had major concerns about the rapalla knot,

Bill Flynn
2 years ago

Great tips the Kreh loop knot has been my favorite for40 years! Never had one fail. I use it for all live bait and lures! Thanks Luke!

George
3 years ago

Question: have you tried starting the knot with the overhand loop (slip part), then, with the line back through the loop, tied a uni-knot? The overhand loop should keep the uni-knot from slipping down, and it is the strongest knot…just wondering.

Austin Quina
3 years ago

I’m a bit confused on the Kreh Loop Knot (Non Slip Loop Knot).

1. Several older references show the tag end going in on the opposite side of the initial overhand loop. Does it really matter?
2. Also, the last entry of the tag end is shown by some to go through the center or off to one side. Does this matter? Looks like in your video you go right through the center.

Thanks!

Mike Fisher
Mike Fisher
3 years ago

On the FG knot, I use PowerPro, my hitched at. The end slip, or back out??

Guy Austin
Guy Austin
3 years ago

Rapala up or down I have found several versions of the Rapala knot

some come up through the overhand knot so that the tag lies parallel to the main line
others go down through the overhand knot so that the tag end is not parallel

with the parallel version the tag end goes around the main line several times and back through the overhand loop either going up or down

same with the crossed version the tag end returns either from the side with the main line or from the side with the tag end.

Rapala show the tag end crossing on their web site but on their video they do not pass the tag end through the overhand knot at all

Does it matter? you guys are the ones to do the testing – right?

William
William
3 years ago

Have you used, or tested the King sling loop knot? It’s quite a bit more simple than any knots listed, just curious how well it holds up.

William DeWeese
3 years ago

Very nice! I liked the Perfection as it was a great simple terminal loop but it is not simple when needing to go through something like hook eye etc. The Kreh Loop is definitely better for that. Also, I had made a few leaders with the surfalon coated wire and if you swap out the five twists with a simple tight overhand knot in the end of the tag, the surfalon and Kreh are very similar movements. The Kreh seems like good replacement for Palomar when the additional freedom of movement of a loop is needed instead.

Paul Kennedy
Paul Kennedy

I’m wondering if a surgeon’s loop would be an alternative or better option in our repertoire of loop knots.

Tim S
Tim S
4 years ago

What about the Homer Rhodes loop knot

Bill Dundes... Calif
Bill Dundes... Calif
4 years ago

why use 10 lb. braid and 30 lb. leader ? I have 40~ 50 braid on my reels and match my leader… 10.. 20..30lb.. to my target fish. I use really long leaders as I retie my hooks after EVERY fish bite…. no nick line for me! Am I ass backwards

Rick Melucci
4 years ago

I grew up calling them Ra-Pal-A as you do. But there commercials now pronounce it s Rap-A-La. I will have to try this knot.

Belteshaazar
Belteshaazar
2 years ago

According to the company, it is pronounced RAPala. But they say they don’t care as long as people keep buying their lures.

Tim
Tim
4 years ago

Have you tried the Homer Rhode not? Been using this style for a while very easy

Karl Jacobson
4 years ago

Could Salt Strong post printable illustrations of the most popular knots or point me in the right direction to find them. The vidoes are great, but I’d like to print instructions to practice tying, and the videos don’t serve that purpose as would illustrations. Thanks

Joseph Simonds
Admin
4 years ago
Reply to  Karl Jacobson

Hey Karl, I love the feedback.

We are working on a new knot post for this Thursday and we will make a point to do this. Looking forward to hearing how you like it. (check our blog Thursday around 9pm for the latest knot update)

Bruce
4 years ago

I’m going for the winner,,,Rapala,,I got it down,,,similar to the Kreh knot just an extra loop hole to insert,,how hard is that,,LOL,,,Thanks, GREAT VIDEO.

Jim
Jim
5 years ago

I wonder what a uni knot tied as a loop would stand up to? It’s shock test strength is one of the best

Bill Dundes... Calif
Bill Dundes... Calif
4 years ago
Reply to  Jim

GOOD ideal Jim … been tying uni knot for 30+ yrs… can tie it with my eyes closed.. Will try it next time out. HEY Luke ~ Joe how about another battle? Rapala vs uni. The slippage of the knot is no for me ,,, as I retie after every fish anyhow. Love the website…. keep up the good work.

David Cargile
2 years ago

When you tie the uni loop place the hook in/around something solid, grab the tag end with your pliers and the standing end in your other hand. Tighten down by pulling on the tag as hard as you can while keeping the loop from closing with pressure on the standing line. Tighten enough to break the tag are close to it…the loop will not close down after that.

Mike
Mike
5 years ago

Great knot, I have been looking for a new way to tie on a shad rap without using a ring too. I appreciate you posting this and I will certainly try the it out. I am sure it is just be me, but the upward and downward facing comments are kind of confusing. the demo was good though and I am sure I can get right from that. Thanks again.

Ion
Ion
2 years ago

You dont tie the knot right. Look up on the internet and youll see the difference…maybe thhis is a new knot, variation of Kreh. ¿??If you test it and it holds is ok.

Nic
Nic
5 years ago

I love this Kreh loop knot for any and every artificial bait, too. It creates so much more action. Great videos and conclusive results.

Walt Galen

Problem: To solve the weed catching tag end of the Rapala loop knot.
Cure: Instead of threading the tag end back through the loop at the top, thread the tag end back through the over hand knot created at the bottom of the knot in the same direction as the line entering the over hand knot. . The tag end will face down and knot strength will not be affected and may even be stronger. Also would try testing with 5 or 6 wraps and 5 or 6 wraps back down.
9/30/19