New Redfish Lure Designed For Getting Strikes In Calm, Shallow Flats

By: Luke Simonds on May 20, 2020
Found In:

best lure for calm water

Is it possible to catch smart fish in heavy-traffic areas with artificial lures?

These fish are getting lures tossed at them all day every day, and the big ones are big for a reason — they’re smart enough to have not gotten caught and eaten yet.

Plus, when the water is calm and clear, the fish are extra spooky and are more aware of your boat.

So, can you catch these fish with artificial lures, or do you need live or cut bait?

Most people think you need live or cut bait, and that works, but you can catch them on artificial lures, too.

In fact, I’ve been catching some monster snook, redfish, trout, and even flounder recently in areas that are really popular “live bait only” spots.

What you need is a lure that doesn’t make a ton of noise or vibration and spook the fish off… but it still must have great action underwater to trigger a reaction strike from even the smartest fish.

A split-tail jerk bait checks all of these boxes. And if you want to see proof that it works, as well as which jerk bait is our favorite, check out the video below.

Best Lure For Spooky Fish In Calm Water

The footage below was taken from my first hour of using the new lure that we just recently developed called the Alabama Leprechaun:

➡ Click here to grab a pack of Alabama Leprechauns

➡ Click here to learn more about the Insider Club

If you’re fishing in calm, clear, shallow water, the fish are usually on high alert.

Lures that make a lot of noise or vibration in the water usually scare the fish off, but a simple lure like a split-tail jerk shad is perfect for these conditions.

Rigging it on a weighed hook (3/0 Owner TwistLock with 1/16th oz weight) and retrieving it with a twitch-twitch-pause retrieve makes it erratically dart through the water.

This mimics a scared shrimp or injured baitfish so it’s irresistible to predator fish like redfish, trout, and snook.

Now, we just came out with the Alabama Leprechaun, which is a green jerk shad with lots of gold and red flash.

It’s also infused with real shrimp and baitfish to give off a fish-attracting scent.

As you can see in the video above, big fish love it, and you can get a pack of them for yourself here.

Have any questions about these lures?

Let me know in the comments below.

And if you know someone who is frustrated by not catching spooky fish, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

P.S. Click here to grab your pack of Alabama Leprechauns.

Stop Wasting Your Valuable Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • 20% OFF ALL of your fishing tackle (rods, reels, line, lures, and more from ALL of the biggest brands in America)

RICHARD FIORENTINO

Thanks Luke- Am I correct in assuming that you generally stopped using Gulp?

Tom Marks

I have my packs of the Alabama Leprechaun, but I am doing so well with the Slam Shady 2.0 it’s had to put another lure on. I have to force myself to try.

Richard Doane

Can not wait to try this lure out. That’s for the info. I need all the help I can get.

Robert Ayres

I will definitely check those out

Steven Free

I received mine yesterday but was surprised because to me they look like root beer with gold flakes and I even compared them to some gulp ones that are root beer that have gold flakes and they are very strikingly similar the Alabama’s are just a slight bit lighter in color then the gulps and the gulps gold flakes are more like a sand diameter where as the Alabama’s are more like flakes and are about 2 to 3 sizes bigger then the gulps was a little disappointed also in that I could not dye the tail chartreuse like I wanted to the Alabama’s don’t take to spike it Flo but the zman don’t either so no biggee also am surprised you guys think it sometimes resembles a fleeing shrimp never seen a shrimp in that color before but you do have photos of it working so I’ll take your word on it and although I don’t have clear water here in old Jacksonville part of Florida gonna try them anyway because root beer is a great color for the tannin stained waters here thanks for the info and all you do

Brian Hoffstetter

So what kind of material are we talkin about? Z-Man like or Zoom like or something else? Floater or sinker?

Brian Hoffstetter

Thanks Luke

Tim
Tim

Been using Zman jerk shad for years and most days out fish live bait fishermen. Just curious is this a zman product because of all the toothy fish around here other soft plastics just don’t last. This has been deadly on flounder for me but because of depth and current usually fish on trout eye jig head.

Chuck Phillippi
Chuck Phillippi

Got mine today using them in morning!!!

Sam Craparo

what weight Twist lock hook are you using

Sam Craparo

Thanks that’s great to know.

Sam Craparo

Will the be at southeast fishing soon

Kenneth Goings

Just ordered mine, and finally bit the bullet and joined the club. Do 95% of my fishing out of a 10yr old Tarpon 120, and the other 5% wade fishing, and have caught some nice fish, but nothing like what you guys bring in on your videos. Here’s hoping my fishing days get better. 🙂

Bill

Stan Mitchell

Oh yeah received my bama leprechauns in the mail today as well hopefully be trying them out this weekend. Thanks Luke and Joe🎣💪

Received my Alabama Leprechaun’s today in the mail. Looking forward to trying them out this weekend.