Custom Fishing Rods: Mistakes, Tips, Shortcuts & More
Growing up, Luke and I always thought that the reel was the most important component of our rod and reel setup.
We would buy fancy, expensive reels and put them on cheap rods.
Finally, we (and by we I mean Luke) learned that the rod is actually the more important of the two…
The rod is making far and accurate casts, setting the hook, and providing power as you’re fighting a big fish.
The reel is just gathering in line.
And since the rod is so important, we’ve had a lot of requests for more information about fishing rods on the podcast, especially custom rods, so we brought on Brandon Elinich of Black Pelican Custom Rods.
In this episode, we cover a ton, including:
- The difference between good and bad rods (and how to tell if one is overpriced)
- Everything you wanted to know about rod grips, guides, action and blanks
- The advantages of having a custom rod as opposed to a store-bought rod
- How Brandon became a custom rod maker (and how you can, too)
- What he wishes someone told him about rod making before he got started
- What tools and materials you need to make your own rods
- What exactly graphene is (hint: it’s a material that is 200x stronger than steel, harder than a diamond, and flexible!)
One of our Insider members, Ariel Rodriguez, is a customer of Black Pelican, and he let Tony try out his custom rod the other day.
Both of them have raved about the quality and performance, and Brandon really knows his stuff, so I know you’re going to get a lot out of this episode.
We have a video version of this podcast where you can see some different examples of rod guides, wraps, and seats, or you can listen to the audio version by clicking the play button below the video, or on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
Custom Fishing Rods [VIDEO]
Custom Fishing Rods [PODCAST]
- Everything You Must Know About Saltwater Fishing Rods [With TFO’s Jim Shulin]
- The Story Behind A Florida Fishing Reel Start-Up
I learned a ton about fishing rods and building custom rods in this episode and I hope you did, too!
If you want to order your own Black Pelican custom fishing rod, or just keep up with Brandon and his company, you can do so at the links below:
Have any more questions about fishing rods?
Let us know in the comments below!
And if you know someone who’d be interested in making their own rods, TAG or SHARE this with them.
P.S. If you want access to thousands of proven local fishing spots, a network of over 8,000 anglers, and updates on what and where the fish are biting now, click here to join us in the Insider Club.
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: