Daiwa BG MQ Reel Sizes: 4000 vs. 3000 vs. 2500

Let’s talk about reel sizes!

The Daiwa BG MQ series of reels are tough, powerful, and super light.

And honestly, the sizes of the 2500, 3000, and 4000 reels are very similar.

So in this video, you’ll learn about the size differences between all three reels so you can decide which was is best for you.

Check it out below!

Daiwa BG MQ Reel Size Comparison [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to get the Daiwa BG MQ 2500

➡ Click here to get the Daiwa BG MQ 3000

➡ Click here to get the Daiwa BG MQ 4000

Typically when people think of a 4000 size reel, they think of a bigger, heavier, “do everything” reel.

But there is not much difference between the sizing of the 3000 versus the 4000.

The body frames appear to be the exact same size and there is only a fraction of an ounce difference in weight.

If line capacity is important to you, then the 4000 size reel may be the best fit.

Although the 2500 and the 3000 size reel are very similar, the body of the 2500 is slightly smaller and there’s a full ounce difference in weight.

With only slight variations in body size, gear ratio, line capacity, and weight, this series of reels from Daiwa may make it tough to decide which one will work best for you.

Here are the specifications for each size Daiwa BG MQ reel:

BGMQ2500D-H – [Gear Ratio 5.7:1, 6+1 Bearings, 22Lb Drag, Line Capacity 210Yd/10Lb, Weight 8.3oz.]

BGMQ3000D-XH – [Gear Ratio 6.2:1, 6+1 Bearings, 22Lb Drag, Line Capacity 220YD/12lb, Weight 9.3oz.]

BGMQ4000D-XH -[Gear Ratio 6.2:1, 6+1 Bearings, 26.4Lb Drag, Line Capacity 250YD/14lb, Weight 10.1oz.]

Please reach out to us if you need assistance deciding which reel will meet your needs!

Conclusion

daiwa bg mq 2500 unboxing review

If you are in the market for a new inshore spinning reel, the Daiwa BG MQ reels are a solid choice.

Whether you are targeting smaller inshore fish or larger big game fish, these reels get the job done!

You can get the Daiwa BG MQ series reels from our shop here:

Daiwa BG MQ Series Spinning Reels

And if you want 20% off of these reels, as well as all of the other gear in our shop, click here to join us in the Insider Club.

Have any questions about this series of reels and which one is right for you?

Let me know down in the comments!

Sam Petteway

With the 3 reels so similar, and with the 4000 weight so light… outside of the cost factor, when would the 4000 not work as well as the 2500? It seems like the 4000 has the wider range of applications and more advantages for both smaller and larger fish.

Robert Brombach

I love Diawa reels and I have the bg3500’s and in comparison the 4000mq looks and feels lighter and smaller, not much! But the strength of this reel is what is impressive! 26.7 lbs of drag compared to 17 in the Bg! Higher gear ratio and retrieval! And the price is 40$ cheaper in the SS store than anywhere else I’ve seen! Thanks for the information Justin , nice meeting you and thanks for the rod information you gave me for this reel!

Asner Reodica

So, I have a 8FT TFO TAC INSHORE Mag H. Currently I have it paired up with a Cabo 40. I use this set up at night when fishing from land in Fort Pierce. I have had success with this set up landing Snook under 40″. Even landed a 50lb Goliath. But I think that Goliath did some damage to the handle of the Cabo. Would the 4K MQ be the move for me?

Asner Reodica

I feel like you made this video for me. Thanks for the insight Justin!!

Mitch Fields

Great piece. Question: How would the 4000 do for cobia, kingfish etc and what rod would you recommend. My spinning outfit is really big and this would help me size it down and still handle fish.

Thanks,

Mitch

Blair Minnix

The reels are nice and all but how can I get one of those shirts my man?! Seriously though, your knowledge and breakdown on tackle is solid. Keep these videos coming!

Judy Baker

Hey Justin, what are your thoughts on the 4000 being used as surf reel?

John Gaffney

Hi Justin, my fingers are crossed to get one of the new SS/BB rods from your shop. If I score one, which of the 3 do you suggest pairing up with that rod?
I live in SWFL (placida/Boca Grande) so I’ll be fishing inshore from my kayak mainly using soft plastics. Plan on spooling with 10-15 power pro and recently caught some nice over 30” reds with Med action BB and Fuego 2500
Thanks for all the great info you guys put out. Much appreciated 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

John Gaffney
Reply to  Justin Ritchey

Thanks Justin! I scored a SS BB rod!
Gonna go with the 3000.
Thanks again!

Adam Bailey

Thanks for the review, Justin. You may already know this, but for others who really want to know more details about parts and sizing I have another suggestion – download the parts schematic for the reel. You can often find part schematics at the manufacturer’s website. Across sizes, you’ll be able to see which part numbers are shared, indicating the same parts, and those that have different parts. Across brands some similar reel sizes share only a few parts in certain places, like bearings, and others like Daiwa may share numerous parts between similar reel sizes.

Mark Klingler

Timing of this post was perfect for me. I was actually searching and researching last night trying to get some info since it’s impossible to find local stores stocking what you want these days.
I was trying to determine how much physically larger a 4000 Certate was than the 3000s that I have now. Saw it was just a .9 oz addition, but the Certate is so light already it won’t matter much. Actually may make it easier to balance on a rod… I saw that the spool size was a jump to 51mm from 48mm, but couldn’t find info regarding the body size. Since you say the BG MQ is the same body for 3000 and 4000, then I’ll assume that the Certate which is also a Monocoque frame will also use the same size like the BG MQ.
thanks

Salt Strong Is Hiring!!! (Videographer/Video Editor Position Open)

Do you want to work for a FUN and fast-growing company that is changing the world through fishing? Do you have video expertise? Then apply for this job today! We'd love to meet you.

How To Sight Fish Big Trout From A Kayak Or Paddleboard

Want to catch more fish while sight fishing? Check out this video and see these three tips for sight fishing redfish, trout, and snook.