The Functional Alcoholic Test (Results From My Alcohol Challenge)
By: Joe Simonds on July 12, 2019
Are you a functional alcoholic?
Perhaps even a high-functioning alcoholic (for those of us who prefer to be the best at everything we do)…
It’s ok if you are.
I am, was, were, and still constantly struggle with how much alcohol I drink.
Two things that seem to get me in the most trouble with alcohol are these two mindsets:
- I don’t think I have a problem because I’m so productive, I never miss work, and I don’t feel like alcohol is getting in the way of me being a good husband, dad, and worker
- There is always someone I can point to who drinks WAY more than me (making me feel better about my choices)
The truth of the matter is that I enjoy drinking… and it enjoys me (or at least that’s what I tell myself).
And I don’t want to kick it out of my life.
But in all seriousness, I recently began to think I had a drinking problem…
- There was always an excuse for a “celebration”
- There was always a reason to “have one more drink”
- And there was always one more drink within close range of my drinking hand…
So I decided to try an experiment (a test if you will) based on what a mentor of mine had shared with me many years ago.
It goes something like this:
“Nothing good ever happens after 3 drinks… and if you don’t have the self-control to stop yourself after 3 drinks, then you have a problem…”
So these past few months I haven’t had more than three drinks in one day.
Yes, that even includes a guys weekend, where in the past there have been many more than three drinks in a day.
And it also includes a Garth Brooks concert (where there was free alcohol and a party bus).
Want to see how it’s been going?
Listen to the podcast below.
The Alcohol Challenge Results [PODCAST]
- How Alcohol & Anxiety Attacks Almost Took My Life… [Podcast]
- 3 Secrets To Conquer Anxiety Attacks In 30 Days Or Less (Without Drugs)
Although there have been some tough times, capping myself at no more than three drinks per day has been great.
I’ve been feeling excellent, getting up early, I’ve had less of a temper, and in general, I just feel like I have a lot of momentum in life.
And the reality is, the hardest part about not having more than three drinks in a day is thinking about it, not actually doing it.
For example, I was nervous before the Garth Brooks concert that it was going to be tough to limit myself to just three drinks, since this is a time where I would usually have more.
But in fact, I had more fun at this concert than I have had at a concert in a long time!
And same with the guys weekend.
I was nervous about the three drink cap in the days leading up to it, but I had a great time with my friends, got up early the next morning, felt great and even went for a jog before everyone else had woken up.
I’d love to hear your thoughts about this challenge and if you would’ve done anything differently.
You can shoot me an email at email@example.com, and I promise all emails to me are 100% confidential.
And if you know someone who is struggling with this, please SHARE this episode with them!
You could be saving their life.
P.S. If you like episodes like these, and want to support us, you can do so by joining our Insider Club.
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).