Everything You Need To Know About Getting Your Captain’s License
By: Joe Simonds on May 7, 2019
O Captain! My Captain!
Have you ever considered getting your captain’s license?
For someone who doesn’t have their license, the task can seem daunting.
How much does it cost?
What is the test like?
Lucky for you, one of our Insiders, Capt. Thom Ray, recently got his captain’s license.
In this podcast episode, he talks about the whole process, including:
- Why he got his license (try not to cry at this story)
- The different types of licenses, and what most inshore fishing guides get
- Why he went to Sea School (as opposed to taking online classes)
- What the requirements are to be eligible to get your captain’s license
- What the tests to get your license are like (there are four of them)
- The total cost of becoming a licensed captain
- Why 10-year-old boys want to become captains (this is hilarious!)
And lots more!
If you’ve ever considered getting your captain’s license, this episode is a must-listen for you.
How To Get Your Captain’s License [PODCAST]
- Sea School (locations from Alabama to New York)
- Online Captain’s License Course With Mariners Learning System
- How To Calculate The Tonnage Of A Boat
- Fishing Charter Captain’s Licenses:
Although being a licensed captain has its perks, it might not quite live up to what this 10-year-old thinks life is like as a fishing captain:
However, there are still many perks of being a captain.
Your job could be going out fishing and helping families make memories, or you could be like Capt. Thom and take veterans out because they could use a day of fishing.
Have any questions about getting your captain’s license?
Let us know in the comments below!
P.S. Know someone who wants to become a fishing guide? TAG or SHARE this with them!
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).