This Is How You Fish The Shallows In A Bay Boat Without A Trolling Motor!
By: Luke Simonds on February 22, 2019
Have you had trouble targeting shallow water fish when fishing from a bay boat without a trolling motor?
I certainly had many skunk trips when fishing from boats without trolling motors over the years.
But I eventually learned some very helpful tactics over the years that have totally changed my results.
This past week some Super Community Memebers and I went out on a Freedom Boat Club boat to see if we could catch a slam.
However, the odds were stacked against us:
- We were in foreign territory (none of us had fished the area in a long time)
- We were in a bay boat without a trolling motor or Power Pole
- The tide was very weak the entire time we fished (red box below)
So is it better to wait for a better time to go fishing?
Or just go and make the best out of the conditions?
Check out the video below to find out…
Shallow Water Bay Boat Fishing Trip
What did you think?
By following the trends, we were able to catch a slam even in these tough conditions.
This proves two things:
- Fish consistently react to their environment given certain conditions… so if you know their behavior patterns, you can catch them even during weak tides.
- The best time to go fishing is whenever you can… don’t wait for “perfect” conditions you’ll miss out on a lot of fun fishing.
3 Conservation Tips
Did you catch the conservations tips? Here they are, in case you missed them:
- Wet the boat surface so you can lay fish down without messing up their outer coat.
- Be mindful to trim up the motor and ensure the blades are above the grass (not just above the bottom),
- Make sure people are in the front of the boat when you’re leaving a spot. This will weigh the front of the boat down, which will help lift the prop above the seagrass.
If you follow the trends and get out there, you can catch fish even in tough conditions.
Have any questions about fishing without a trolling motor?
Have any extra conservation tips?
Let me know in the comments below!
P.S. – If you have a fishing buddy who doesn’t have a trolling motor, TAG or SHARE this with him!
P.P.S. – Gene Hammond (featured in this post) is organizing a great fishing tournament that is raising money for supporting our active duty veterans and first responders in Tarpon Springs, FL next weekend (March 2nd).
Here’s a link to learn more about it: https://www.reelingfreedom.com/warrior-shootout-tournament
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).