The Best Lures For Redfish (Surprise Answer With Video Proof)!

By: Luke Simonds on January 17, 2020
Found In:

It’s redfish lure time!

One of the best (and quickest) ways to catch nice redfish (red drum) is with a fishing lure (yes, it can even be much better than live bait).

However, there are so many lures out there that it’s crazy.

If you go to any tackle store, you’ll surely see that the choices of lures for catching redfish are pretty much unlimited…

There are just so many different lure options these days.

If you’re wondering what the best lures for catching redfish are, this video highlights the most important thing to consider when thinking about your redfish lures.

And the answer may very well surprise you (as you’ll see below).

Watch this video below because it shows an example of the priorities you should have regarding lures for redfish.

Hint: the lure isn’t as important as you think it is…

Best Redfish Lures

best fishing lures for redfish

Here’s the truth…

Although there are certainly lures that consistently catch more redfish all year long (like the Slam Shady Paddletail), there is no perfect lure for every single scenario.

The actual best lure for redfish can vary based on water depth, clarity, season, etc…

So there is not an all-encompassing answer to that question.

However, there is an all-encompassing factor that is much more important than the specific lure being used.

Click on the video image below to see what that BIG factor is:

Do you want to join the “Insider” fishing club that Luke talked about in the video?

The click here join the Insider Fishing Club (risk-free)

The Best Lures For Redfishbest lure for catching redfish

Did the answer surprise you?

As shown in the video above, the actual lure being used is not nearly as important as the spot that you’re fishing when it comes to catching redfish.

That being said, here are 2 lists of lures that I really trust for catching redfish:

Shallow Water Lures for Redfish

• Soft plastics rigged on weighted hooks or worm hooks
  • Weedless spoons
  • Hard plastic twitch baits
  • Topwater lures

Deep Water Lures for Redfish

• Soft plastics rigged on jig heads (weighted properly for target depth)
  • Bucktail Jigs
  • Swimbaits
  • Diving plugs

But the truth is that 90% of fish hold in 10% of the water…

So the smartest thing to do is put a majority of your effort into finding the 10% of water that holds the most fish (instead of worrying about selecting the absolute perfect lure).

Because the reality is that there is no such thing as the “best lure for redfish” that spans all water depths and all seasons.

On the other hand, there is absolute truth to the fact that redfish often congregate in areas for feeding.

And when you are in those feeding zones, the actual bait used isn’t very important as displayed in the video above.

Conclusionbest lure for catching redfish

As you saw in the video, there is no one perfect lure when it comes to catching redfish.

Are there certain redfish lures that work better than others?

Absolutely!

But the moral of the story is that if you aren’t in an area that is holding redfish, there isn’t a lure in the world that can help you catch any.

On the other hand, if you spend more time predicting where the redfish will be (and less time buying tons of lures), your chances skyrocket in terms of catching redfish more consistently.

My results significantly improved when I simply began arming myself with one or two lures that I trust for a given depth of water that I’m targeting.

And then forcing myself to not doubt the lure when fishing knowing that the actual location that I’m fishing is so much more important.

For consistent results over time, it is essential to get very good at quickly assessing the area you’re fishing as being a Feeding Zone or a Dead Zone.

That assessment will prevent yourself from spending a lot of time in a bad area when there very well be a hot spot just around the corner like I found the day of the trip shown above.

If you need help assessing areas and finding new feeding zones even when fishing in areas you’ve never been to before, then be sure to check out our Insider Fishing Club.

Do you have any particular lures that you like best for catching redfish? If so, please use the Comments section below to share what you like best with the group.

And as always, you’re of course welcome to ask any questions you have in the comments section too.

Fish On!

P.S. – If you think your angler friends or fishing networks would like to see this, please Tag them or Share this with them. You Rock! Pa-POW!

Related Posts:

1) Are You Making One Of These Mistakes When Fishing For Redfish?

2) 4 Tips To Catching More Redfish By Mangroves

3) 3 Shortcuts For Catching Redfish Like A Pro

Related Course:

Redfish Mastery: How To Catch More Redfish In Less Time

Want New Fishing Spots (& Shortcuts) Every Week?

If you fit the following criteria, you might qualify to join this exclusive fishing club:

1. You want shortcuts to take your inshore fishing game up to the next level
  2. You want to save TIME and MONEY when it comes to fishing
  3. You are coachable and have a positive attitude

If you said YES to all three, click here now.

If you said NO to any of the three, then please don’t click the link.

Vernon Clemans

Hey Luke. What is the lure that is rootbeer with a split tail chartreuse color. I saw it in some of your other lessons but did not catch what it is. Thanks

RICHARD FIORENTINO

Thanks Luke. I guess it’s time to get rid of most of the hundreds of lures I have never even used! Do you still favor the TFO rods?

James Brooks

think I’ve seen a similar vid here not to long ago. A school of jacks will hit anything in front of them as well as Spanish macks due to competition. young Reds may follow the same pattern

Robert Ricketts

Whats your Favorite color topwater lure for redfish? Also what topwater lure do you preffer for redfish?

Jerry Mundy
Jerry Mundy

Is it better to tie on lures or clip to thr line? Or does it really matter?

Mark

I have had a lot of success with Strike Kings Redfish magic spinner bait. The flash of the Colorado blade and the almost indestructible swim bait makes it a deadly combination where I fish around St. Augustine. If the fish are holding deeper I like the fact that I can remove the jig head and swim bait from the spinner, then re-tie and bump the bottom.

Jon
Jon

What was the white topwater you used

Thank you. I remember trying to buy one of those with great frustration.

Jacob
Jacob

Hi I’m just getting into looking at this website and I love it so far but I don’t have a boat to really get to the spots I see on the map I also have found so many different spots and I don’t know which one to choose. I’m fishing in the Galveston Bay Area. I’m just looking for any tips of baits or spots there. I just bought the 3 inch slam shady z man soft plastic with the trout eye 3/16 ounce jig head so hopefully that helps me.

John Seed

I’m planning a trip to the Mt. Pleasant S.C. area in June and my son just bought a nice boat. We are planning on learning to fish for Redfish, was wondering if there are areas around there that are good for that.

Michael Bellet

Hi Luke, You previously did a presentation on simplyfying your tackle when going fishing [redfish, snook, trout]and taking just a few lures. My big problem is I spend more time trying to select the next lure to use out of 100+ lures I have in my tackle bag. I want to keep things more simple….which lures did you recommend taking and keep everything else at home ?

Mike

Robert Barrett

Luke, what do you consider as shallow water !

Bruce Reid

What are are you fishing and when?

Tom Watts

Luke, Thank you. Better. In some of your videos, please do more on showing the best or better retrieves. I have watched enough that got now some great ideas on lures. Please consider some videos on retrieves. You have a lot of great information. Thank you, Tom Watts, Naples

Tom Watts

Fun video. But you show the hookups and the lures. I would really like to see more on retrive(s) you use. Great videos. Thanks, Tom Watts

John Noble
2 years ago

If you don’t want to wade, catching redfish can be as simple as soaking either live mullet, pinfish, cut mullet, or peeled fresh shrimp and casting along the grass line. Bait selection depends on the time of year. Sit in your boat, and wait for the next school to come along.

Richard J Hart
2 years ago

I catch a lot of snook, BUT I am not good at all at catching Reds? I hope to learn fropm joining Salt Strong! Thanks!

geo will
geo will
2 years ago

The best bait is what they ate before lures were introduced.

2 years ago

Catching Redfish using a quarter of a blueprint crab on weighted hook and under a poping cork is very productive over reefs and in marshes of Louisiana. It is a popular technique.

Super small Johnson gold spoon

W. Frazier
W. Frazier
2 years ago

I would like to add my vote – the one lure I catch more on than anything else, and this is in river situations not clear water, is a chatterbait over oyster beds. They absolutely murder it.

2 years ago

I also go to the Johnson weedless gold spoon here in NC. They can’t resist it.

Noel Snedeker
2 years ago

I notice that you have some lures which have the hook facing the lure, I guess weed less. Is this a special lure or can I do this with any lure, i.e. a Gulp.

2 years ago

Gold spoon has always worked for me.

Capt Pete Rosko

I strongly agree with your gold assessment. Before Rapala discontinued its smaller sizes of Crippled Herring metal jigs, the gold-plated version of the 1/6 oz size was deadly for redfish while casting and bottom-bouncing it back to the boat! Just don’t do the bottom-bouncing over the oyster beds to avoid snagging. Mack’s lure Co manufacturers the Sonic BaitFish in sizes 1/16 to 1 oz. I wish the company had the gold finish in its 1/10 oz size for reds in shallow water. I fish this size for shoreline bass in the evening (silver-blue) and at night, in its glow white finish, to produce exceptional catches of largemouth bass. On the surface, it darts and gurgles like the old Fred Arbogast black Jitterbug that was my all-time surface favorite bass killer at night.

Johnny Norton
2 years ago

Weather is been a big factor here in Charlotte harbor area. The winds continue to stir up the water and pull out making for really low tides. For my friends fishings this area I have found to look for the no wind blown banks and deeper holes. I have seen many big snook but they are very slow on the bite or not at all. Back around the the grass flats around Gasprillia sound there are big black tip but the wind will challenge you. Lots of lady fish big ones on the corners of the small islands find current moving past the points they there. Live target baits or Vodoo shrimp on a popper. Good luck everyday on the water is a good day.

Rusty
2 years ago

I likie a 1/4 oz copper spoon, not the weedless one. Replace the treble hook with a red Owner circle hook and float a clear plastic bubble float about a foot to a foot in a half ahead of the spoon. Keeps it out of the grass. Very effective!

Johnny Norton
2 years ago

I been fishing the back waters of Bullbay here in Charlotte county. The reds we been catching seem to be loving a slow moving plastic jerk bait or a white fluke rigged with 5/0 hook let it sink to the bottom after each pull. Every where we saw mullets running the bank there was Reds mixed in or just behind them. 64 to 67 water temps here. Good luck.

Eric Bardes
2 years ago

Hey Luke, Were you using any scent? If so what scent? Pin fish?

Brett Cox
2 years ago

Were you basically keeping those jerkbaits on the bottom? And were those Keel weighted hooks you’re using and are they J Hooks? I can catch a hundred snook in a day, I don’t know why I’m having such a problem with red fish lately.

Joseph_hutchinson94@yahoo.com

When it comes to the courses,how do y’all know that one is or isn’t catching more redfish to give the refund or not?

2 years ago

Do you ever fish the marsh?

2 years ago

Well the ones in Brunswick,Ga. We are right off the coast. I was thinking the redfish might would be there due to the millions of fiddlers crawling around the waters

2 years ago

There are a lot of creeks in the marsh that are fairly close to the st.simons and Jekyll island sound. I was wanting to that my kayak out there but don’t want to go through the trouble if it isn’t worth it

Lee Ashe
2 years ago

GREAT VIDEO LUKE, THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING FOR SURE!!!! TIGHT LINES..FISH STRONG…SALT STRONG

What!!! No magic lure??

Steven Free
2 years ago

Wow like you were not kidding tons of reds there mostly schoolies I’d say by the size of them also one question do you ever keep any fish you catch?! I know I do because I love them on my grill and besides fish is brain food if you have not heard but don’t get me wrong I know we all can’t keep them all because we all have to think about the future of fishing and if all anglers kept everyone caught the stocks would soon be zero and for your info ole John good all had a great comment about rattle traps for reds I got another tip try floating rattle traps fishing them around oysters for reds and or trout because a floating rattle trap doesn’t sink you can reel them right over the tops of oysters they snag less but are deadly especially at high tide where the oysters are about a foot or two under water that’s where I have found them to be best because the reds are cruising around the oysters looking for crabs and baitfish the ole floating rattle trap is there where other baits get hung up as they say try it you might be surprised😁

Russ Scholl
2 years ago

Nice trip Luke! I agree-find feeding fish and usually the lure doesn’t matter much. My brother and I were catching reds under diving birds in Lake Borgne LA. His soft plastic came off and he was scrambling to get another plastic. I told him to hurry and just cast the jig head. He thought I was kidding but threw it-almost instant red on!

John Allgood
John Allgood
Reply to  Russ Scholl

Buck Perry (the father of structure fishing) said “You can’t catch them by fishing where they ain’t.”
No question, the most important part of successful fishing (for ANY species) is FINDING FISH. Redfish are very aggressive. I have seen them hit an amazing array of lures and baits without showing much preference.

John Allgood
John Allgood
2 years ago

A rattletrap is a VERY effective lure for redfish. I have used them for 38 years and caught redfish casting and trolling on them. Sometimes I let the rattletrap sink and sweep the rod up fast, causing an extreme amount of noise and then pause and let the lure sink again… reel down taking up line as you lower the rod then sweep it up again. The strike comes as the rattletrap is falling. Doing this you feel a *thump* when the redfish inhales the rattletrap as it falls. On steady moving retrieves the reds CRUSH rattletraps. They deliver some of the hardest strikes I have ever felt from any fish.

John Allgood
John Allgood
2 years ago

Better in water that is less clear, but I have had some memorable strikes in clear water too. The bright colors don’t seem to work as well in the clear water, subdued or natural colors work better then. Rattletraps also work well at night.
Although I catch plenty of reds on rattletraps, I honestly catch more reds on soft plastics, but the strikes are more memorable with steadily moving rattletraps. Those freight train strikes are huge adrenaline rushes!

James DeLoach
2 years ago

What boat are you fishing on? Looks like my Scout 251 XS. Glad to see you catching fish instead of showing us how. Love to see the live bait tutorial catching fish.

Brett Cox
2 years ago

I was going to ask if it was a sponsor boat considering it had an Evinrude on the back. 😉😉🤣😂

Yamaha strong baby. 🙂

Gregory Ramko
2 years ago

Awesome info. Is the blue rod a TFO GIS inshore?

Gregory Ramko
2 years ago

How do you like it? I bought the 6’9″ baitcasting rod, and love it. I have it paired with a abu garcia revo4 inshore and makes topwater fishing a blast.

Gregory Ramko
2 years ago

Yeah. I have the TFO SIGNATURE SERIES 7’6″ that you recommend, and love that rod too.

2 years ago

So, if lures are like cherry blossoms meaning they are all perfect; does that hold true for flies as well? It is the depth that needs to be the focal point?