How To Make Your Own Kayak Truck Rack (For Easy Loading)

How do you transport kayaks in your truck?

Do you throw them in the back and hope they don’t fly out on the way home?

Or do you have a rack that you like?

In this video, I’m going to show you how I made a DIY kayak rack using a truck bed extender.

It helps keep my kayak safe and scratch-free, and it makes it really easy to load my kayak in and out of.

I’ll also show you how I strap my kayak down and what not to do when doing this.

Check out the video below.

DIY Kayak Rack & Truck Bed Extender [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club

The reason I made this cradle is because it makes it much easier to load my kayak in my truck than with just the bed extender.

All you need is:

• A bed extender (I like the T-Bone bed extender by Boonedox)
  • Some PVC pipes (I used 2″ PVC because it right over the bed extender)
  • Zip ties
  • Pool noodles
  • Indoor/outdoor carpet
  • Stainless steel screws

It’s about 6-7′ long and does a great job of keeping my kayak safe and secure.

As far as strapping my kayak down, I just use these NRS lashing straps.

I prefer lashing straps over ratchet straps because with ratchet straps it’s easy to over tighten and damage your kayak.

Conclusion

inshore kayak fishing setup

This DIY kayak rack and truck bed extender has made life so much easier when it comes to transporting my kayak.

How do you transport your kayak?

Have any questions about this rack?

Let me know in the comments below!

And if you know someone who fishes from a kayak, or would like to, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Stop Wasting Your Valuable Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • 20% OFF ALL of your fishing tackle (rods, reels, line, lures, and more from ALL of the biggest brands in America)

Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. It’s one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure we’re still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right)?

Paul Schroder

Great video! I’ll be building one of these myself but with a few modifications.
The two main lengths of 2′ PVC will be replaced with 3″ and the ends will have little glue on doors with padlocks. These will be rod lockers.
Also, I’m curious, does the end of your kayak protrude more than 4′ past your taillights? If it does, then there needs to be a taillight rigged in there as well.
Thanks Tony for all your insights and tips. Keep them coming!

Gary Rankel

I can easily transport, load and unload my 12 foot kayak in my 6 foot Tacoma bed without needing an extender rack. Don’t see the need for it.

Hey Tony good video. I love DIY stuff. I solved the whole transport issue. I bought a full size cargo van and turned it into my fishing van. My Hobie Revolution fits entirely in the van. Easy in and out, no need for straps. I have a rod rack in my van that holds four rods and some crates for various things. I can even sleep in my van for an overnighter if I want.
~JOE~

Pablo Diaz

Hi Tony, Can you set up 2 yaks on this ? In addition, I left a question earlier about the supports. Are they held in place or loose using the weight of the kayak. Great Idea

Jim Silverman

Tony. Nice addition to the truck bed extender. I just bought one and have had issues difficulty sliding the kayak onto it. Biggest problem with my Hobie Outback 2017 is the stern does not have a handle to lift it with. When picked up by the rudder or the bow the kayak starts to sway and go out of control. Still looking for solution to this.

Hi Tony,

Good video. I have seen a lot of kayaks (including Hobies) carried in beds and on trailers with 3″ PVC bunks with no foam or carpet. Did you choose to add foam and carpet because the diameter of the bed extender crossbar is smaller and the 2″ PVC fits nicely over it? or some other reason? what are your thoughts on just using PVC and no foam and carpet?

Thanks!

Buz

Brett Laws

I like this idea and it makes sense for safety and ease of loading and unloading. My question is: what is the proper way to store a kayak? I’ve looked YouTube and see all kinds of different ideas and then there are the comments about the heat inside a garage warping them if they are stored near the ceiling or the bottom getting deformed by straps, etc. Can they be stored on a wall on the side of the kayak on L-brackets, if padded? I know i shouldn’t leave it outside in the elements or on the floor of my garage flat beacuase it takes up too much room. Looking for input from my SS brethren. Thank you

Brett Laws
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Okay, thanks, Tony. A wealth of knowledge as usual.

Jeffrey Wilson

Hey Tony good call on the carpeting, I was going to go with the raw noodles but didn’t think about them getting torn up. Mine is for trailer bunks but same concept. Keep up the good content!

How To Catch Sand Fleas (Without A Sand Flea Rake)

Want to see an easy way to catch sand fleas? Learn how to catch them in this video, as well as the best tides to catch them and how to find them.

The Complete Bull Redfish Kit For Catching Big Fish In Shallow Murky Water

Looking to catch bull redfish in shallow, murky water? Here's a list of ten things you'll need to wrangle some of these monster redfish to the boat.