Quick Tip To Spool Your Spinning Reel To Avoid Line Twists

Do you get a ton of wind knots or tangles in your braided line?

At some point, it happens to us all.

This could be due to line twists in your braid.

And you could be putting those twists on your spool when you’re spooling line onto your reel.

So in this video, you’ll learn the steps to spool your spinning reel to avoid line twists.

Check it out below!

Spool Your Spinning Reel To Avoid Line Twists [VIDEO]

First, you need to understand how the line is coming off of the line spool to the reel spool.

It’s being wrapped around the spool by your bail.

A big mistake is to face the top of your spool at the line spool.

Because it’s coming off of the spool straight but then it’s being twisted as it spools onto the reel.

Instead, put the spool face label side up.

Lay the spool on the ground (label up) and that allows the line to come off of the line spool in the same manner that it goes onto your reel.

Also, keep an eye on the line that’s in between the two spools.

If you do see it twist, flip the line spool label down and start reeling until you see the line straightens out.

Be constantly doing these steps and keeping an eye on the line to keep line twists out.

Do you have any tips for keeping line twists out?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know someone who frequently gets wind knots due to line twists, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Kerry Moore

Hey Tony,
what are your thoughts with regard to the Piscifun contraption that spins the line while filling the spool. I have been using this and have not had much of a problem with excessive line twists or wind knots. Its a pretty clever little gizmo and seems to work. Curious if you or anyone on the thread have an opinion.

Andrew Publow
Reply to  Kerry Moore

I use it too. It can be a little tricky to get it spinning, with the right amount of tension, but seems to work good. Love to hear other thoughts though. This is the one i use. https://www.piscifun.com/products/piscifun-fishing-line-spooler-fishing-line-winder

Kerry Moore
Reply to  Andrew Publow

thats it. It seems to solve the twisting issue and you can put whatever tension you need on it. Simple design, no assembly.

Andrew Publow
Reply to  Andrew Publow

thank y’all for all the great posts. I watch/listen to every one! My only hope is that you’ll branch into freshwater too. Although i’ve found your principles are so sound that they apply 90% of the time! (I just want that extra 10%!)

Brian Gandy
Reply to  Kerry Moore

I’ve just bought it and so far no issues with the few times I’ve used it. Seems to be a good product

David Bush
1 month ago

Interesting topic and one that I’ve thought about every time I spool a reel. I used to do it your way and still had twist issues. Then I saw Luke’s method where you let the spool of line turn on an axle when winding it on the reel. This does put a twist in the line as it goes on the reel spool, but those twists are untwisted when you cast. This seems to make more sense since that’s when you don’t want line twist–when the line is in the water. Anyway, food for thought and perhaps a chat with Luke.

Reply to  Tony Acevedo

Here’s the tip David is referring to… the 3:00 min section of the video on this spooling lesson explains the details: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how-to-spool-a-spinning-reel-with-braid/

The good news is that braid is so nimble that both styles can work just fine.

Last edited 1 month ago by Luke Simonds
David LaValley
Reply to  Tony Acevedo

I would love to see that debate!

John Hardiman

Great Video Tony!!!!

Mark Tauscher
1 month ago

What about the idea of putting the line on under tension. So it goes on tight. There fot the line won’t bury itself into the spool when you are fighting a fish

Bill Radcliff
1 month ago

Hey Tony, what Reel is that in the video?

Gregory Thebeau
1 month ago

I am missing something. Braid has little or no memory. I am guessing the Factory does nothing special when filling the plastic spool.

As long as you do not change the relationship of the reel or the plastic spool during the spooling process, there might be one (quarter) twist at the very beginning of the process, right?

Matthew Lanier

Nailed it Tony!

This is how I learned in bass fishing. The line goes on the reel spool the way its going to come off the reel spool.

There’s a good way, and there’s a better way. SOLID INFO HERE TONY!

Rick Robinson
1 month ago

Iam not sure if you can help me ,but. I have a shimmano thunnus CI4 4000 spinning reel .I’d like to put this on a 2 piece surf rod . I don’t want to make a mistake and regret getting the wrong rod . So I could use some help ,this will be use from beaches trying to catch larger size fish ,have other outfits , this I want to be able to get it out there .won’t be used a lot ,but I like nice this ,so price ? Maybe some options .Also what braid line test would you suggest .Thanks so much for time and insight Rick Robinson

Mike D
1 month ago

Wrong. You want to do it the way you said not to. Your way creates line twist when the line comes off the reel. The correct way is to have the spool on a pencil that has the spool turn towards you as you spool the line. You will actually put line twist on the line going on the reel but it will reverse itself when you cast the line resulting in no line twist. To prove this, that is why they say one way to remove line twist is to let out line behind your boat and reel back in. That is essentially the same effect as the method I described. There also another video on SaltStrong that does it the right way I described.

Cj basser
Reply to  Mike D

That couldn’t be more wrong

William Brixon
1 month ago

Interesting video. I always thought one needed to put tension on the line so that the line would not be as likely to bury itself in the spool. I am guessing Tony was holding the line with fingers. I don’t see how that could put enough tension on the line while spooling. I agree with others that believe more testing is needed since there seem to be so many ways to spool line. And yes spooling the line is very important. Just my thoughts.

3 Tips To Catching Snook In The Summer (From The Beach)

Want to catch more snook from the beach this summer? Check out these tips find the best snook spots on the beach, avoid the common mistakes, and discover...

Surfcasting For Striped Bass (With John Skinner)

Want to catch more striped bass from shore? You've got to see this video! John Skinner is sharing some of his best striper tips to help you...