J-Braid 8 Grand vs. PowerPro Braid (Knot Strength & Casting Distance)

PowerPro has been consistently winning our braided line contests…

But we have a new winner with record-breaking numbers!

Although the testing is not over, there have been some serious surprises so far.

Check out the knot strength test and casting contest below for PowerPro Original and Daiwa J-Braid 8 Grand!

PowerPro vs J-Braid 8 Grand Knot Strength [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Insider Club

Click here to check out all of our Fishing Line Reviews and Tests

In this knot strength test, I used the Uni knot to a swivel and the FG knot.

The results are in and we have a new record!

It’s pretty impressive that a 10# braid had a breaking strength of over 25 lbs.

If you want to try out these lines for yourself, you can get them from our online tackle shop here:

Here are the full results of this test:

Uni Knot:

PowerPro

Average of 5 Rounds: 17.94 lbs.

J-Braid 8 Grand

Average of 5 Rounds: 16.80 lbs.

FG Knot:

PowerPro

Average of 4 Rounds: 19.45 lbs.

J-Braid 8 Grand

Average of 4 Rounds: 22.40 lbs.

PowerPro vs J-Braid 8 Grand Casting Contest [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Insider Club

Click here to check out all of our Casting Contests

For the casting contest, I did two rounds of 6 casts for each line.

Overall it appeared to be a draw and both lines cast at relatively the same distances.

The one thing to be aware of is that PowerPro Original is a 4 strand braid and J-Braid 8 Grand is an 8 strand braided line.

8 strand braid has a tendency to decrease in casting performance over time.

As I perform more tests and casting contests, we’ll see if the J-Braid holds up!

Conclusion

how to spool braid on a spinning reel

Before we say that J-Braid is the best line ever, we still have more testing to do…

But for now, my favorite PowerPro may take a backseat to J-Braid 8 Grand.

Make sure you bookmark this post so you can reference this as we add additional test results.

You can find both brands of line in our tackle shop here:

I am always on a quest for everyone to know the best quality lines on the market.

Do you have any lines you’d like me to compare?

Have you had similar experiences with these two braided lines?

Let me know down in the comments!

Marshal Kenneday
1 month ago

Hey Luke, I know I’m a little late to the party on this post, but have you guys tested the newer toadfish braids at all? They make a 6 strand 10# that is thinner than the 10# J-braid 8 grand by almost half, and also make a 15# 8 strand that is .01mm different. Curious to see casting vs strength on the two. Love toadfish’s mission, and have picked up a couple of their rods so far, understanding the sacrifice in a little extra weight. Other than that I think they feel the bite great! Wondering if they took the same care in their lines and had a solid product made, or if it is more gimmicky for the teal color?

Steve Guidry

Been using the J-braid for about a month. Any update on how it’s holding up over time? How long and how often have you used it?

Dennis P Monk

Why didn’t you compare the Power Pro 8 strand with the J braid 8 strand. I just bought a roll of J Braid from the store, 15# for my level winds, it is really smooth, but havent had a chance to fish it yet.

J Long

I always love these experiment videos. Thanks, Luke! I missed this one I reckon because I just found it this evening. Looking forward to more. Off topic of line testing, what brand pants are you wearing? Those look comfortable for long pants sun protection and kayak fishing.

J Long

Thanks again, Luke!

david furniss

Where can I purchase live shrimp on Hilton Head Island, planing a trip May 27th.

J Long
Reply to  david furniss

I wish I’d found this a month ago before you’re trip. I only heard of Ship’s Store (URL: https://www.sheltercovehiltonhead.com/ships-store) on HHI for live bait. I’ve not purchased or called them much (I’ve been there). I live 20 minutes from Bluffton Marine Sports & Supply (URL: https://www.blufftonmarine.com/). These are good people. I stop here for my live or frozen bait needs when heading to any of the Bluffton area rivers and estuaries or HHI area to fish, if having trouble catching my own live bait. They have a wide selection of tackle and gear, too. I am proud to support and recommend a local business. On a side note: A good 5+ gallon bucket and lid with local seawater and an aquarium style aerator will keep live shrimp alive outside your villa in the shade. Even better if you have an Engels or some such live bait cooler (though not necessary; shade is key with your bucket when not using it). If anyone sees this and has any questions about the area, I’d be happy to share what I can.

Last edited 3 months ago by J Long
J Long
Reply to  david furniss

I couldn’t edit my original post more than twice, so I want to clean up that post and hopefully the moderator can delete the first one and keep this better draft after more thinking.

I wish I’d found this a month ago before you’re trip.

On a side note for your live shrimp or finger mullet: A good 5+ gallon bucket and lid with local seawater and an aquarium style aerator will keep them alive outside your villa or house in the shade. Be mindful of how many and how much water. And note that I don’t recommend mixing finger mullet with shrimp. Finger mullet tend to beat each other up by themselves. You don’t want your shrimp in with them. This off water preservation is even better if you have an Engels or some such live bait cooler (though not necessary; shade and aeration is key with your bucket when not using it).

If you are like me, I stay at a villa with a dock. I rent a villa 40 minutes from my house to vacation, so I don’t have to drag my gear over to HHI every day. So, if you are renting a spot on the water, you can always keep them in a live bait bucket tied to the dock, too (don’t forget tides depending on where you are; dry live bait bucket = dead bait).

Since joining Salt Strong, I’m anxious to apply Insider Club techniques and methods to my vacation. I’ll try to post how it goes as a new kayak angler.

Bill Sowell

Thanks Luke your tests are always insightful and entertaining. I have been using the J braid on my hevier rigs for some time so I thought I would try it out on my lighter rigs. The 10 pound I used had so many wind knots on my first trip out that by the end of the day I was casting down to my mono filler. I have the J braid spooled on a second rod and will try it out this weekend. Went back to PowerPro on the other rod to see if it does any better.

Jim LaRose

Thank you. Been waiting for this one!!!

Tom Berry

I love these tests!!! I challange you Luke to find a braid that casts further than Berkley NanoFil

Adam Kinnaird

Kastking just released a 13strand braided line would love to see your thoughts on some of their reels and lines

David carrizales