The Best Spot For WINTER WADE Fishing (And How To Fish It)

If you want to catch more fish while wade fishing, you’ve got to be in the right spot.

Unlike being in a kayak or boat, you’re pretty limited in how far you can move, so you’ve got to choose the right spot from the get-go.

In this video, I’ll share with you my favorite spot to catch fish while wading in the winter and how to fish it.

Plus, you’ll see some drone footage so you know exactly what to look for.

You can find this type of spot from Texas to Florida, and up to the Carolinas.

Check out the video below!

#1 Spot For Winter Wade Fishing [VIDEO]

Here’s the gear I was using:

In the winter, the weather can vary a lot.

If a cold front comes in, the fish are going to be looking for warmer, deeper water.

But if the weather has been warming up recently, then they’ll want to hit the sun-warmed flats.

Because of this, it’s best to find areas where there’s a steep drop-off so shallow and deep water are right next to each other.

One of the best types of places that fit this description to a T are the entry channels to a flat, near the intercoastal waterway.

Here’s what they look like from the air:

deep cuts entering grass flat

See those deep cuts right next to really shallow water?

That’s where you want to fish!

You can find redfish and black drum tailing on the shallow flats looking for crustaceans, and trout on the edges of the channels ambushing baitfish.

Bonus points if there are oyster bars near these drop-offs!

Conclusion

texas trout fishing

One of the best types of spots to wade fish in the winter is the edge of a channel that leads from a grass flat to the intercoastal.

The depth change gives fish a variety of water temperatures to travel in, as well as an ambush spot.

Have any questions about wading in the winter?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know someone who wants to catch more fish while wading this winter, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Joe Breidenbach

Hey Wyatt, new to SaltStrong and happy to be here. I am here for a month from North Dakota chasing fish. I have watched your videos and in fact fished the same area for a week with little luck. I am all the way out to channel, fishing the cuts with Slam Shady and Gulp Shrimp through the cuts and along the grass. I just can’t seem to find many fish. Any suggestions? Thanks. I NEED A FISH!
Joe

A Rollins

Does the rod used in the video double as a measuring stick?

Henry Zamora

Welcome Wyatt . I’m new member & have already learned a lot from an excellent team & great videos. I’ve enjoyed wade fishing but never had a Real plan now I do. Now, I’m ready to try out your tried & tested tips. Welcome to my hometown.

Benn L Mandel

Well dont know if u seen my comment on u tube a vid back but welcome to texas fishing great vid even if i dont wade but can use it when i go on boat ….next time i go will give u a invite as i have room for one more when i charter a boat ….and remember if it was called catching everyone would do it

Benn Mandel
Reply to  Wyatt Parcel

Well Wyatt looking at that cold front thats coming thru end of this week and beginning of next are you interested in going on tuesday i will know for sure by Thursday morning if u would like to come let me know my buddy runs a charter boat out of north Padre Island hes got a 22ft mako no canopy so bring the sun block and a snack if u want u can respond on my email texassaltwaterlife@gmail.com…at no cost. As my guest

Last edited 11 months ago by Benn Mandel
Neal H.

Wyatt, I’m a new member on Salt Strong & you are newish to the Texas Coast!
Having fished Madagorda down to PINS -both wading and kayaking, I appreciate your fresh coastal perspective! I love the drone views, as they reflect the satalite views we get and I can relate to our local topography.
Here in Austin, Waiting to be down there ASAP! 😉
A Belated Welcome To Texas and The Texas Coast!
Tight Lines!

Buddy Harrison

Wyatt, this is the reason I became an Insider … excellent and timely fishing tips delivered in a way that anyone can understand and apply. Thanks! and keep them coming.

Robert Bigelow

I’m digging the recent videos Wyatt. Nice work!

Salty Rick

Awesome! I am a wade fisherman myself and love having information that helps me, thanks Salt Strong!

How To Rig Cut Bait For Bull Redfish & Big Black Drum (In Any Depth)

Want to catch more bull redfish and big black drum? Cut bait is one of the best baits for these fish, so check out these three rigs to rig up cut bait.

The BIG Misconception To Mastering Fishing (That Hurts Most Fishermen)…

Hate getting skunked? Check out this conversation between the Salt Strong brothers about the biggest misconceptions when it comes to mastering fishing.