How To Catch Big Sharks, Grouper, & Snapper In A New Spot

Do you want to know the best way to catch big sharks, grouper, and snapper in a new area?

If you’ve never fished an area, you’ll want to know some tactics to not get skunked.

On a recent trip up to Carrabelle, we had to figure out how to quickly get on some fish in a new place.

Listen in as we get Wyatt hooked up with a big bull shark and catch some snapper and grouper along the way.

Check it out below!

You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I highly recommend), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.

P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

Big Shark Fight & Finding Fish In New Places [VIDEO]

Big Shark Fight & Finding Fish In New Places [PODCAST]

salt strong podcast itunes

salt strong podcast stitcher

salt strong podcast spotify

Note: Don’t forget to subscribe to the Salt Strong podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

Related Podcasts:

In this episode, we headed up north to Carrabelle, Florida to fish a completely new area with a fishing guide (Capt. Hollywood) who lives in the Keys full time and happened to be visiting as well.

And here’s a timestamped table of contents:

• 0:27 – Snapper, Grouper, Cobia, Flounder on the Power Prawn (with the Juice)
  • 1:16 – Bull shark or reef shark?
  • 2:12 – Bud Light plus the Simrad find fish
  • 3:32 – How to fight BIG fish
  • 6:22 – What do you do when a big fish goes under the boat?
  • 7:10 – #6 Wire & Pogies get it done
  • 8:35 – Carrabelle is a fishing destination! Get hooked up!
  • 10:42 – Wyatt’s still fighting this big shark
  • 11:02 – Sneaking illegal beverages onto Hollywood’s boat
  • 14:51 – Release on the bigger sharks
  • 15:57 – How to get a Power Prawn lure down in deeper water
  • 17:02 – Here’s what to look for on your fishfinder
  • 17:41 – Tactic for covering ground and drifting
  • 20:41 – The LY bait and the size of cut bait to use
  • 19:58 – Best rig for catching bigger fish in 50 – 70 feet of water
  • 22:07 – Hooking your cut bait to catch grouper and snapper
  • 25:10 – And Wyatt’s on another big shark!

➡ Click here to get the Power Prawn lure

Conclusion

how to catch big fish in new waters

Fishing in a new place can be tough.

But if you know what to look for and what bait to bring, you’ll have a much better chance of catching fish!

How do you find fish in new spots?

What do you think about Wyatt’s choice of beverage?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know an angler who will be fishing in unfamiliar waters soon, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Related articles:

Brian Good

I am sure as we all wish to be behind that rod and on board with y’all, the next best thing is watching and listening to not only professional advise but to the commradery and ribbing from fellow anglers….
BUT, Wyatt,,, the pink rod butt and red hat clash….LOL
B.Good

Wyatt Parcel
Reply to  Brian Good

Noted!! I didn’t get to choose the rod butt though… I got stuck with it after Hollywood found out I was drinking white claws! Haha!

Thomas Manley

You’re a good man Wyatt. And, you are welcome to fish my boat and drink anything you like as long as it is in a can or plastic for water. We do have lots of sharks in Boca Grande and Charlotte Harbor so if you wan another one, we have plenty. Then again, we have lots of Goliath Groupers too. So, what was the second bite that Wyatt had towards the end of the Video.

Wyatt Parcel
Reply to  Thomas Manley

Haha thank you Thomas!! The second bite was a MUCH larger shark that I fought for twice as long… only to lose it just as Hollywood was about to reach for the leader! So close!!

Mark Noel

Full respect to Wyatt, loved all the trash talking while he was working hard for that shark.

Wyatt Parcel
Reply to  Mark Noel

It was quite a battle… the shark wearing me out on one end, while Joe and Hollywood were busting me up on the other! I wouldn’t have it any other way though!! Haha!

Dale

I love it Great job Better you than me

Pablo Diaz

Great stuff !!! Nice bull shark Wyatt- always enjoy listening to the captain !!!

Wyatt Parcel
Reply to  Pablo Diaz

It was hard to keep a good grip on the rod with Hollywood cracking all those jokes!

Capt. Ray Markham

Perhaps the baitfish he was mentioning that he said was an “L Y” is an Alewife? I guess I really do need to read all the comments before I post. sorry about that.

Last edited 2 months ago by Ray Markham
Paul G

You kids have WAY too much fun!!

Guy L

That was a ton of fun to watch! Capt Hollywood and Joe were giving it to Wyatt! Hilarious! But kudos to Wyatt for hanging in there! That was ALOT of work to bring that beast in on that lighter tackle! Impressive catch! Thanks for sharing!

Wyatt Parcel
Reply to  Guy L

My back wasn’t happy after the fight, but I sure was! Definitely a fish I’ll never forget!

David

GREATJOB, WYATT and a hell of a fight you had with that Bull Shark, I know you were tired, I hooked a small 4 footer here several years ago and thought I wouldn’t last the fight, got him to th eb boat and cut the line. I love it when you guys improvise and find new places to fish! AWESOME VIDEO….tight lines…

Wyatt Parcel
Reply to  David

Thanks so much David! I’ve caught sharks from the beach before, but fighting them vertically with light tackle is a whole different ballgame!

Steve

LY is spelled alewife 😉

Steve Oravets
Reply to  Steve

It’s actually a Alewive fish. They are a member of the Herring Family. In the Southeast they are referred to as “LY”.

Strong Angler Of The Week: Horace Hess

It's time for the Strong Angler of the Week! This week we're talking to Horace Hess who just caught an amazing redfish with a...
1 comment

Pro Tip: How To Quickly Replace Treble Hooks With Single Hooks On Your Saltwater Plugs

Do you want to see how easy it can be to replace your treble hooks with single hooks to help save more fish while also preventing more hooks in your skin?