How Many Coils Should An FG Knot Have? [New Experiment]

A recent question came in about how many coils to use for the FG knot, so I decided to do some testing to see how much the coil count mattered.

This new experiment revealed some surprising findings including a new record for a 10 lb braid’s breaking point in a knot experiment… a whopping 26.92 lbs – WOW!

Click on the video below to see the findings:

FG Knot Coil Experiment [Video]

➡ Click here to see how to tie the FG knot

The lines used in this test were 10 lb braid lines (PowerPro & J-Braid 8 Grand) that were connected to a 30 lb leader (Ande monofilament).

Braid Lines

Leader LineAndy Monofilament – 30 lb

Conclusion

Although this test found that 30 coils brought on some added strength to the FG knot, the increased difficulty of locking all of the coils into place overshadows the strength gain in my opinion.

So I’m planning to stick with the 18 to 20 coil count for my FG knots going forward.

Have you tried use 30 or more coils for your FG knot? If yes, please let me know if you’ve had any issues with the knot getting compromised when casting it through the rod guides.

Are there any other aspects of the FG knot that you’d like me to test? If so, leave a comment down below.

P.S. – The strength of our knots is one of the few things that we have 100% control over, so it’s on us to make sure we’re maximizing our odds of landing a fish of a lifetime whenever the opportunity arises. Click here to see the full listing of knots ranked by their performance for each knot type.

Damion Fauser

Check out “Briggsy’s FG knot” on YouTube. I use his method to finish off the knot with a Rizulo/Rizuto (not sure of the spelling) loop. The two knots tighten against each other under tension and I’ve never had any issues with the FG knot unwrapping. Hope this helps!

Joseph Saunders

Great report! I’ve been using the double uni and have lost a lot of tackle lol. I’ll be using this knot from now on. Thanks again

W. Davis Merrit MD

Thanks for another great test video!

I found that 20-22 turns on an FG worked well for me….but the one thing I learned the hard way is to REALLY tighten the knot down after the wraps are done and one single half hitch is placed to stabilize the wraps. It is very interresting to watch what happens when you really pull on the leader and running line at this stage. I use gloves and really pull hard. You can see the wraps tighten and contract in length by about 20-30%. The braid color gets darker as the wraps compact themselves around the leader. After adding this step I have had zero slippages where the leader comes out of the wrap. It helps me to pull just untill I see the wraps contract and get a bit darker. Then I finnish the knot. If you pull the knot tight after finishing it, the wraps won’t compact well and it can still slip.

I have used the FG on some of my offshore set-ups and it has been perfect so far and seems less tempermental with larger diameter braids and leaders.

The next knot tech for me is holowcore connections….it’s really interresting and so far has been useful and reliable offshore.

Jim Coster

Luke, you mention that the PR most likely will fail if the first wrap is not cinched properly, which may happen more readily with more wraps. I firsted leaned to tie this knot watching Tim Carter’s You Tube video…He wanted you to pull the knot tight after 6 wraps each direction or 12 total, then do anther 6 each way, pull and finish for a total of 24. Yes, one pull is quicker, but 2 tightenings is better. I have 30# braid and 50# flouro on my jigging rods and there has not been anything that has beaten that combo except maybe the old tugboat I got snagged on.

Jerry Dexter
1 month ago

Luke, That’s amazing, Thanks for sharing

Matthew Holladay
1 month ago

I do between 18-22 wraps. $40lb braid and 60lb leader. Almost never have an issue. And if I do have an issue, I believe it is because I didn’t take my time. You definitely want to take your time and do quality wraps.

Rob Biermann
1 month ago

I do 12 both sides, so I guess the way this is counted 24 separate sides. Holds great. 10 lb braid, 20 lb leader. 60lb tarpon. No problem. Well, leader will be cut if you can’t chase them…like from a dock or a stationary boat. But the leader to braid holds solid. I glue my tag end with superglue.

Philip Wimberly
1 month ago

Probably too many items for one post, but here goes:

• I tie my FG to really, really long leader — 12-18 feet. I’m not concerned about re-tying, but feel like getting my more visible braid far away from my lure is helpful. Could never do this with a double-uni.
  • I wonder if the coil # needs to change with different sized lines. I sometime fish very light lines (6-8# line and leader) and my gut tells me I need more coils due to how much harder it is to get the braid to bite the light leader. Does this make any sense or am I just over-thinking?
  • Conversely, I’ve had trouble with an FG with too many coils on very heavy line. An 80# shock leader with 40# braid on a surf rod with even 20 coils, while still very small diameter, is extremely stiff. It’s like having a thick toothpick running the guides. I wonder if I’m OK with a lot fewer coils on the big lines because they do bite better.
  • Why does 10# braid have a 26# breaking strength? Said another way, why doesn’t the 10# line break at 10# leaving the knot with 16# of unused strength?
  • Related to that, if I have 26# strength on a 10# line, why do I set my drag at 20%-30% of the rated strength instead of the 250% greater actual strength?
  • (I bet the 2 questions above are really dumb and misunderstanding something super basic…sorry!)
  • IMHO, the FG is easier to tie than the Double uni. Not a little easier. Much. VERY thankful you guys directed me to it. My grandchildren will NEVER learn a double-uni!
Bill Godwin
1 month ago

No doubt the vast percentage of folks here are spin fishermen/women, so exceeding 20 wraps in an FG knot is not likely to be much of an issue in most casting scenarios.

However, if you are flipping/pitching (a predominate baitcasting technique yet one I still use on occasion with a spinner), an excessively long (whatever that may be for you and your tackle and fishery) may impede the leader from completely unfurling and on target.

As such I tie the FG knot the fewest wraps without compromising main line and leader strength. And whatever that number of wraps will be is dependent upon many things such as, your main line and leader, are you reeling the knot inside the tip guide on occasion, are you fishing around structure and what type of structure and are you targeting and hooking up fish which push the limits of your main line and leader specifications?

I fish with all kinds of tackle, but mostly fly fish. In “contact” fly fishing which is what saltwater fly fishing is (for the most part)…it is critical to eliminate “heavy spots” or undesirable mass between the fly line and leader. Nearly all fly line manufacturers now offer welded loops on both ends of their fly line. Yet in “contact” fly fishing, the weld loop on the forward end can greatly inhibit the unfurling of the leader and the delicate presentation one desires. As such, I cut off the weld loops on the forward end of all my saltwater fly lines and tie the ~6′ butt end of the leader to the fly line with a Snell knot. I then use Blood knots to attach a small mid section (~12″) and a 3-4′ tippet section. Using these knots helps maintain the tight loop one desires when fly casting and equally important, the gentle unfurling of the leader at the desired target so as to minimize spooking fish.

Why, bring my fly fishing line/leader setup into the discussion? Because, I think if the FG knot becomes excessively long, the knot itself will inhibit the leader from laying out in a gentle matter so as not to spook fish when casting short distances while flipping and pitching.

The fish we target along the SC aren’t easily spooked, but, dropping a lure or fly in their head or within a few inches will scatter them like in any other fishery.

Thus, I think it’s imperative we setup our tackle to achieve the stealthiest approach possible without compromising our tackle.

Tying any knot with a certain number of wraps because someone on YouTube says it’s a good idea, may not always be the best knot for your tackle and/or fishery.

Why I especially like watching the line/leader videos Luke and Joe put out regarding tackle because they are performing unbiased testing and providing data in a way that makes sense.

Keep up the great works guys!

Last edited 1 month ago by Bill Godwin
Daniel Cohen
1 month ago

Have you had problems with casting off a lure with the FG knot? Like mid cast the whole leader just slips out? Usually with a heavier lure and after a bunch of casts. I changed the finish from half hitches and it seems to have stopped happening but the half hitch finish was not working for me.

The Best Ways To Rig The F.R.E.D. Paddletail Lure

Do you know the best ways to rig up the new F.R.E.D. paddletail lure? Making sure this lure is rigged up correctly is important if you are...

How To Rig Shrimp On A Jig-Head Like A PRO (VIDEO)

Do you want to see a cool trick on how to rig a shrimp on a jig-head for more strikes? Then check out Capt. Mark Johnson's new shrimp rigging tip. Enjoy!

Wade Fishing Tips: How To Wade Fish For Trout, Redfish, Snook, & Flounder

If you want to catch more inshore fish while wading, then you've got to hear these tips from a guy who's been wade fishing for 30+ years. Enjoy.