How Many Coils Should An FG Knot Have? [New Experiment]

A recent question came in about how many coils to use for the FG knot, so I decided to do some testing to see how much the coil count mattered.

This new experiment revealed some surprising findings including a new record for a 10 lb braid’s breaking point in a knot experiment… a whopping 26.92 lbs – WOW!

Click on the video below to see the findings:

FG Knot Coil Experiment [Video]

➡ Click here to see how to tie the FG knot

The lines used in this test were 10 lb braid lines (PowerPro & J-Braid 8 Grand) that were connected to a 30 lb leader (Ande monofilament).

Braid Lines

Leader LineAndy Monofilament – 30 lb

Conclusion

Although this test found that 30 coils brought on some added strength to the FG knot, the increased difficulty of locking all of the coils into place overshadows the strength gain in my opinion.

So I’m planning to stick with the 18 to 20 coil count for my FG knots going forward.

Have you tried use 30 or more coils for your FG knot? If yes, please let me know if you’ve had any issues with the knot getting compromised when casting it through the rod guides.

Are there any other aspects of the FG knot that you’d like me to test? If so, leave a comment down below.

P.S. – The strength of our knots is one of the few things that we have 100% control over, so it’s on us to make sure we’re maximizing our odds of landing a fish of a lifetime whenever the opportunity arises. Click here to see the full listing of knots ranked by their performance for each knot type.

Stephen Maus
1 month ago

I tie the FG knot using a modification of a method I discovered on Lost Horizon Fishing. I have arthritis in my hands and this method uses a loop in the end of the braid attached to the reel handle to create tension. I use 30 turns for Power Pro10# to Vanish 20# and after I tie two overhand knots around the leader tag and main line braid, I pull the leader and main line apart as hard as i can with the lines wrapped around old toothbrush handles for tensioners. I then cut the tag end of the leader close to the knot and tie four overhand knots with the tag end of the braid around the main line and cut the braid tag end to about 1/8 inch. I use about 7 feet of leader for my 7-1/2 foot TFO rod and have never had a problem casting through the guides or having the FG knot break or come loose. Lost Horizon Fishing on U-Tube shows how it is done, but I modified it through trial and error.

aaron carroll
1 month ago

I do mine 10-12 per side depending on leader size. So 20-24

Damion Fauser

Check out “Briggsy’s FG knot” on YouTube. I use his method to finish off the knot with a Rizulo/Rizuto (not sure of the spelling) loop. The two knots tighten against each other under tension and I’ve never had any issues with the FG knot unwrapping. Hope this helps!

Joseph Saunders

Great report! I’ve been using the double uni and have lost a lot of tackle lol. I’ll be using this knot from now on. Thanks again

W. Davis Merrit MD

Thanks for another great test video!

I found that 20-22 turns on an FG worked well for me….but the one thing I learned the hard way is to REALLY tighten the knot down after the wraps are done and one single half hitch is placed to stabilize the wraps. It is very interresting to watch what happens when you really pull on the leader and running line at this stage. I use gloves and really pull hard. You can see the wraps tighten and contract in length by about 20-30%. The braid color gets darker as the wraps compact themselves around the leader. After adding this step I have had zero slippages where the leader comes out of the wrap. It helps me to pull just untill I see the wraps contract and get a bit darker. Then I finnish the knot. If you pull the knot tight after finishing it, the wraps won’t compact well and it can still slip.

I have used the FG on some of my offshore set-ups and it has been perfect so far and seems less tempermental with larger diameter braids and leaders.

The next knot tech for me is holowcore connections….it’s really interresting and so far has been useful and reliable offshore.

Jim Coster

Luke, you mention that the PR most likely will fail if the first wrap is not cinched properly, which may happen more readily with more wraps. I firsted leaned to tie this knot watching Tim Carter’s You Tube video…He wanted you to pull the knot tight after 6 wraps each direction or 12 total, then do anther 6 each way, pull and finish for a total of 24. Yes, one pull is quicker, but 2 tightenings is better. I have 30# braid and 50# flouro on my jigging rods and there has not been anything that has beaten that combo except maybe the old tugboat I got snagged on.

Gerald Dexter

Luke, That’s amazing, Thanks for sharing

Matthew Holladay

I do between 18-22 wraps. $40lb braid and 60lb leader. Almost never have an issue. And if I do have an issue, I believe it is because I didn’t take my time. You definitely want to take your time and do quality wraps.

Rob Biermann

I do 12 both sides, so I guess the way this is counted 24 separate sides. Holds great. 10 lb braid, 20 lb leader. 60lb tarpon. No problem. Well, leader will be cut if you can’t chase them…like from a dock or a stationary boat. But the leader to braid holds solid. I glue my tag end with superglue.

Philip Wimberly

Probably too many items for one post, but here goes:

• I tie my FG to really, really long leader — 12-18 feet. I’m not concerned about re-tying, but feel like getting my more visible braid far away from my lure is helpful. Could never do this with a double-uni.
  • I wonder if the coil # needs to change with different sized lines. I sometime fish very light lines (6-8# line and leader) and my gut tells me I need more coils due to how much harder it is to get the braid to bite the light leader. Does this make any sense or am I just over-thinking?
  • Conversely, I’ve had trouble with an FG with too many coils on very heavy line. An 80# shock leader with 40# braid on a surf rod with even 20 coils, while still very small diameter, is extremely stiff. It’s like having a thick toothpick running the guides. I wonder if I’m OK with a lot fewer coils on the big lines because they do bite better.
  • Why does 10# braid have a 26# breaking strength? Said another way, why doesn’t the 10# line break at 10# leaving the knot with 16# of unused strength?
  • Related to that, if I have 26# strength on a 10# line, why do I set my drag at 20%-30% of the rated strength instead of the 250% greater actual strength?
  • (I bet the 2 questions above are really dumb and misunderstanding something super basic…sorry!)
  • IMHO, the FG is easier to tie than the Double uni. Not a little easier. Much. VERY thankful you guys directed me to it. My grandchildren will NEVER learn a double-uni!

Living On An Island For 31 Days (And What I Discovered About Fishing)

Want to catch more inshore slams? Check out the story of how I lived on an island for 31 days with my brother and transformed into a complete angler.
1 comment

“Animated Lure” Review For Saltwater Anglers [Top 3 Pros & Cons]

Want an easy-to-use lure that's great for beginners and kids? Tony Acevedo reviews the Animated Lure and gives you his top 3 pros and cons for it.