Wind Knots: How To Remove & Prevent Them (When Using Braided Line)
Nothing can dampen your spirits on the water like a wind knot, right?
It takes a lot of time to untangle them (time you’d rather spend fishing), plus if you have to cut it out you could be wasting a lot of line…
In the two videos below, we’re going to show you how to prevent them and how to fix them, so you can have frustration-free and knot-free days on the water.
How To Prevent Wind Knots [VIDEO]
Wind knots primarily happen because of two reasons:
- The line is coming off of the spool faster than the line is passing through the rod tip
- The line is twisted
Below are 13 tips on how to prevent wind knots caused by both of these instances.
The first 10 are to help you prevent wind knots attributed to line speed, while the last three are to help you prevent wind knots caused by twisted line.
1. Don’t cast your leader knot through the guides. The knot can hit the guides, cause the line to slow down at the tip.
2. Don’t cast into the wind. Yes, this is why they’re called wind knots and the wind can slow down your line coming out of the rod tip.
3. Don’t cast too hard. Casting is about technique, not brute force.
4. Don’t use rods with flimsy tips. If the rod tip is bouncing up and down as your line goes through it, it can slow it down.
5. Make sure the line is snug before retrieving. Pull the line tight with your hand to make sure you’re not reeling in any slack and putting loose coils on the spool.
6. Don’t slap or reel the bail closed. If you do this, loose line can be put on your reel.
7. Stop the cast by hand. Once the lure is about to hit the water, stop the line with your finger and then close the bail by hand to make sure the line is tight.
8. Avoid overfilling the spool with line. Coils on the edges will be too loose and can easily overlap and tangle themselves.
9. Make sure line is evenly dispersed on the spool. If braid is bunched up at top or bottom it can cause knots. This can be fixed by either adding or removing washers underneath the spool.
10. Avoid using heavy leader with light line. For example, don’t go over 40 lb leader with 10 lb braid. Heavier leader has more wind resistance, which can slow it down.
These next tips will help you prevent wind knots due to line twists.
11. Rig lures properly to avoid helicoptering. Make sure the hook point comes out of the middle of the body and the lure isn’t bunched up on the hook or jig head.
For tips on how to rig lures properly, check out this article.
12. Use swivels in heavy current. Heavy current is one of the culprits that cause your lures to spin and swivels can help ensure the entire line isn’t spinning.
13. Lubricate your line. Lubricating your line with a product such as Real Magic can help your line come untangled if a wind knot does happen.
And speaking of fixing wind knots, in this next video, Capt. Tyler Kapela will show you how to fix your wind knots the easy way.
How To Remove Wind Knots [VIDEO]
When wind knots happen, a lot of people try to pull out the line with the bail open to fix it.
That often just adds more line to the tangle and it comes out in a big clump.
Instead, when this happens, close the bail, loosen the drag, and pull out the line.
This will help sort out the wind knot and not make it worse.
P.S. To book a trip with Capt. Tyler hit him up on Instagram @captain_tyler_kapela.
Wind knots can be one of the more frustrating issues you run into while out on the water, but if you follow these tips to prevent and remove them, you can have a knot-free fishing trip.
Have any questions about preventing or removing wind knots?
Let me know in the comments below!
And if you know someone who gets too many wind knots, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and +11,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).
- The BEST Time To Use Shrimp For Inshore Fishing (Live & Artificial)
- 4 Tips To Find The Best Fishing Spots (Online And On The Water Tactics)
- Massive School Of Drum Inhaling This Lure (All Caught On Film)!
Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. It’s one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure we’re still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right)?
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: