Wind Knots: How To Remove & Prevent Them (When Using Braided Line)

how to fix and prevent wind knots

Nothing can dampen your spirits on the water like a wind knot, right?

It takes a lot of time to untangle them (time you’d rather spend fishing), plus if you have to cut it out you could be wasting a lot of line…

In the two videos below, we’re going to show you how to prevent them and how to fix them, so you can have frustration-free and knot-free days on the water.

Enjoy!

How To Prevent Wind Knots [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to check out SmartFishingSpots.com

Wind knots primarily happen because of two reasons:

1. The line is coming off of the spool faster than the line is passing through the rod tip
  2. The line is twisted

Below are 13 tips on how to prevent wind knots caused by both of these instances.

The first 10 are to help you prevent wind knots attributed to line speed, while the last three are to help you prevent wind knots caused by twisted line.

1. Don’t cast your leader knot through the guides. The knot can hit the guides, cause the line to slow down at the tip.

2. Don’t cast into the wind. Yes, this is why they’re called wind knots and the wind can slow down your line coming out of the rod tip.

3. Don’t cast too hard. Casting is about technique, not brute force.

4. Don’t use rods with flimsy tips. If the rod tip is bouncing up and down as your line goes through it, it can slow it down.

5. Make sure the line is snug before retrieving. Pull the line tight with your hand to make sure you’re not reeling in any slack and putting loose coils on the spool.

6. Don’t slap or reel the bail closed. If you do this, loose line can be put on your reel.

7. Stop the cast by hand. Once the lure is about to hit the water, stop the line with your finger and then close the bail by hand to make sure the line is tight.

8. Avoid overfilling the spool with line. Coils on the edges will be too loose and can easily overlap and tangle themselves.

9. Make sure line is evenly dispersed on the spool. If braid is bunched up at top or bottom it can cause knots. This can be fixed by either adding or removing washers underneath the spool.

10. Avoid using heavy leader with light line. For example, don’t go over 40 lb leader with 10 lb braid. Heavier leader has more wind resistance, which can slow it down.

These next tips will help you prevent wind knots due to line twists.

11. Rig lures properly to avoid helicoptering. Make sure the hook point comes out of the middle of the body and the lure isn’t bunched up on the hook or jig head.

For tips on how to rig lures properly, check out this article.

12. Use swivels in heavy current. Heavy current is one of the culprits that cause your lures to spin and swivels can help ensure the entire line isn’t spinning.

13. Lubricate your line. Lubricating your line with a product such as Real Magic can help your line come untangled if a wind knot does happen.

And speaking of fixing wind knots, in this next video, Capt. Tyler Kapela will show you how to fix your wind knots the easy way.

How To Remove Wind Knots [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club

When wind knots happen, a lot of people try to pull out the line with the bail open to fix it.

That often just adds more line to the tangle and it comes out in a big clump.

Instead, when this happens, close the bail, loosen the drag, and pull out the line.

This will help sort out the wind knot and not make it worse.

P.S. To book a trip with Capt. Tyler hit him up on Instagram @captain_tyler_kapela.

Conclusion

wind knot fishing reel

Wind knots can be one of the more frustrating issues you run into while out on the water, but if you follow these tips to prevent and remove them, you can have a knot-free fishing trip.

Have any questions about preventing or removing wind knots?

Let me know in the comments below!

And if you know someone who gets too many wind knots, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and +11,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!

Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?

Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!

Here’s what you’ll receive today:

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. It’s one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure we’re still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right)?

1 month ago

One thing that has been missed as to line flow/speed in my opinion is the difference between conventional spinning guides vs. concept (choke and runners) guides and spacing. Big difference. I build or have redone most of my spinning rods. https://www.fujitackle.eu/fuji_next_generation_k-r_concept_guides

Jay
Jay

What do most folks do with a wind knot in the middle of your line that you can’t untangle. Cut the tangle out and retie the line with a double uni/fg/Alberto knot I’m sure no one wants to waste 50/60 yards of line.

Jason Brown
Jason Brown

Great Video. I learned two things. I try to over muscle my casts and dont cast with leader in the guides . It was nice meeting you Saturday in Ruskin. Thanks for letting us check out your kayak.

Reply to  Jason Brown

Thanks Jason! It was nice to meet you as well!

Russ Lacoste
Russ Lacoste

Wonderful tips on wind knots thanks guys. Russ @ Kayak Fishing Charleston

Reply to  Russ Lacoste

No problem Russ!

R Little
R Little

Good video. The key I find is the manual bail close/line check after each cast. You’ll stop 90% of potential knots by doing this. As far as the video on knot removal, it was so simple it was elegant! Been fishing seriously in the Louisiana marshes for over 20 yrs, and I was amazed none of my buds had ever seen this.

Reply to  R Little

Thank you for the awesome feedback Richard!

Robert Cirulnick
Robert Cirulnick

Chapstick works great!

Definitely helps!

Michael collins
Michael collins

If you throw enough lures you will eventually get a difficult wind knot. I found that using a jig hook to assist removal was unsatisfactory because often it will fray the braid and weaken the line. I purchased from Harbor Freight a hook and pick set for under five dollars. These tools have sharp points and get wide relatively fast so once you get the pic into the line knot it will help loosen the knot. It is very important to avoid tension on the line when working on the knot. Patience is often rewarded with salvaged expensive line.

Your excellent explanation of why I get these darn knots is much appreciated.

Tony Acevedo

Thank you for the great feedback and tip Michael!

Michael Tomberlin
Michael Tomberlin

Loved the tip about pulling out the line with the bail closed and the using the drag. I have had several instances of pulling out the line and getting that huge knot. I will definitely try the drag trick next time. I also liked the chapstick tip in the comments. It’s amazing all the cool things you learn when you get around like minded people.

Tony Acevedo

Thank you for the great feedback Michael!

Robert Bigelow
Robert Bigelow

Great info Tony, as always. Definately some tips I’ll take with me in the future. I’m plagued by wind knots somewhat regularly and it has always seemed like there’s something simple I’m missing to prevent it, I just didn’t know what it was, now I do. Thanks again you’re the man!

Reply to  Robert Bigelow

Thank you Robert and no problem!

Scott Schram
Scott Schram

Great info Tony. Thanks. Never thought about the effects of a slow action rod before but the physics makes sense related to creating waves in the line. I suspect the same holds true when casting baits heavier than what the rod is rated or large light baits. Your thoughts?

Reply to  Scott Schram

Thank you Scott!

I haven’t noticed with relation to weight ratings. Mainly with the action.

Gary Hotchkiss
Gary Hotchkiss

Best wind not explanation ever

Reply to  Gary Hotchkiss

Thank you Gary!

Sean Shimmel
Sean Shimmel

As Shakespeare observed, “Oh, what a tangled web we weave.” But your clear explanation was anything but tangled. I learned so much in such a short time. Thank you! (and to the commenters who mentioned the chap stick)

Reply to  Sean Shimmel

No problem Sean and thank you for the great feedback!

Dave Waller
Dave Waller

As Trey Senterfitt says below, a little dab of chapstick on the wind knot, massage it in, and pull out the knot! Good to go!

Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson
Reply to  Dave Waller

I agree Dave, I’ve been using Chapstick for years and it rarely fails. I have chapstick in my bags, boat storage , pockets, everywhere. It also works well on zippers.

Melvin Crissey
Melvin Crissey

Tony, that tutorial on preventing wind knots was very well presented and helpful. Thank you. Fishing along the coast of Texas, wind is always a factor for inshore anglers. I learned some things I didn’t know from your video.

Reply to  Melvin Crissey

Thank you for the great feedback Mel!

Jon Hood
Jon Hood

I get everything Tony said except the part about the leader to line knot – if you have an 18” leader – do you guys cast with the leader knot outside the tip? With 18+ inches hanging?

Reply to  Jon Hood

Hey Jon!

Using a slimmer knot such as an FG knot will help if casting through the guides. I make many casts with almost 2 ft of leader hanging off. Just takes some getting used to.

Paul Katen
Paul Katen

On Line twist, one of the best ways to twist a line is to reel in while drag is going out. Best way to untwist, and a good habit to do periodically, is to cut off the hook and leader and let out a hundred yards behind your boat on a slow troll. It will unwind quickly when reeled in.

Reply to  Paul Katen

Good stuff Paul!

Reply to  Paul Katen

Only way I knew of until watching this video.

Great tips. Thanks!

Reply to  Anonymous

No problem!

Team Arnold
Team Arnold

Definitely dislike wind knots! Thanks for the tips!!!!

Reply to  Team Arnold

No problem Team!

Gene Doebley
Gene Doebley

Thanks guys. Good information. One other thing I noticed when fishing with my wife is she gets more wind knots. When I cast I try to shoot bullets from the rod tip to my target. I want that lure to take a straight line trajectory as much as possible. She tends to cast like a pop fly ball with a big rainbow arc. That lets a lot of loose line out there subject to the wind. Just something to think about.

Reply to  Gene Doebley

Yep the rainbow casts also lead to knots. Very similar to casting into the wind.

Edward Librick
Edward Librick

Taking wind knots off the reel is easy. I find removing wind knots that make it through the guides and are in between your lure and top guide. The sma,ler the diamond of the braid, 10 to 20#, the more difficult and time consuming removing the knot becomes. Cutting the line is not an option in some cases because of the amount of line that will be lost. Any tricks of the trade in removing these types of knots will be a real help. They don’t happen often to me but when they do they hit with a vengeance. Thanks

Travis Taylor
Travis Taylor
Reply to  Edward Librick

Just recently I watched a video from Capt. C.A. Richardson talking about this. I’ve yet to try this, but in a nutshell, if you put some chapstick on your finger and lightly coat the area that is knotted, you can pull on both sides of the knot and it pulls out.

Trey Senterfitt, III
Trey Senterfitt, III
Reply to  Edward Librick

Smear some chapstick onto tangle BEFORE trying to pull it out. Sometimes it works.
Also, know that not all braided line, of equal breaking strength, have the same diameter. For instance, Power Pro #15 has a slightly smaller diameter than Suffix 832 #15. So, in my mind, the larger diameter comes off slower and is less likely knot up. Give each tip a try and let me know how things turn out. Tight lines and good times to you!!

Reply to  Edward Librick

I would also recommend minimizing the tension as much as possible once you notice/hear/realize there is a knot. The tighter it gets the harder it is to fix. I try to be as gentle as possible when untangling them. We can get frustrated really quick and try to yank them free. Definitely take your time!

Michael Palmieri
Michael Palmieri

Thank you Tony and Tyler!
Was fighting wind knots all day today, super frustrating!
Now I understand what’s causing them, how to prevent and fix them without making them worse.

No problem Michael!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

7 Tips For Rigging Blue Crabs For Bull Redfish (Plus Video Proof)

Have you used blue crabs for redfish before? It can be very effective and in this video we'll show you how to rig them, what to watch out for, and...

Best Saltwater Inshore Fishing Equipment (Training #3)

Are you using the right gear for inshore saltwater fishing? Check out this Q&A where we talk about the best rods, reels, leader, and more!