How To Maximize Your Results With Slam Shady Paddletails [Rigging, Retrieving, & Size Selection]

By: Luke Simonds on September 24, 2019
Found In:

slam shady paddletail lure

This page will show you how to get the most fish catching with your Slam Shady paddletails throughout all seasons with the least amount of equipment needed.

The great thing about soft plastics is that they are so versatile and can be effectively used in so many different applications making them a lure type that can catch fish in pretty much all regions throughout the year.

But the bad thing about soft plastics is that they won’t work well at all if they aren’t rigged properly or if they aren’t paired with the right sized jig head or weighted hook.

So the videos below will walk you through the essential details to make sure that you know the specifics for the following:

• Proper rigging for the top jig heads and weighted hooks
  • Most effective retrieve for the 3 core applications
  • Size selection shortcuts [3″ vs. 4″ vs. 5″]

Just click on the respective videos below to see the details:

Introduction

Trouble viewing videos? Click here for Help

How To Rig Slam Shady 2.0

Trouble viewing videos? Click here for Help

How To Rig Slam Shady (Original)

Trouble viewing videos? Click here for Help

How To Retrieve Paddletails

Trouble viewing videos? Click here for Help

How To Select The Right Size

Trouble viewing videos? Click here for Help

➡ Click here to join the Insider Club

Equipment Links

Paddletails

Weighted Hooks

Jig Heads

Species Caught On The Slam Shady

Want to join us on our way to setting a world record for most species of fish caught on a single swimbait (of the same color)?

Below is the list of species that have been caught on this lure so leave a comment below and send us a picture at fish@saltstrong.com if you’ve caught a new species on the Slam Shady!

1. Barracuda
  37. Red Grouper
  38. Redfish (Red Drum)
  39. Remora
  40. Rock Bass
  41. Sea Robin
  42. Shad
  43. Shark (multiple species)
  44. Sheepshead
  45. Silver Sea Trout (Sand Trout)
  46. Smallmouth Bass
  57. Walleye
  58. Warmouth Bass
  59. Weakfish
  60. White Bass
  61. Whiting
  62. Yellow Perch

Conclusion

These Slam Shady paddletails will enable you to catch quality fish across all seasons and water columns as long as they are paired with the proper jig head or weighted hook for the specific conditions you’ll be fishing.

To maximize your results, it’s very important to have the size selections listed above on hand because just that small amount of equipment will enable you to be ready to catch any species that feed on small baitfish anywhere in the water column from the surface all the way down to 7 ft…

And if you’ll be fishing deeper water, you’ll just need to get some heavier jig heads to enable the lures to dive down farther.

Your Feedback Is Appreciated!

Please leave a comment down below if you have any questions… I am here to help!

And if you have already begun using them, please use the Comment sections below let us know what size slam shady you like best along with the hook and jig head size.

P.S. If you want to get 20% off the Slam Shady paddletails, the weighted hooks, and the jig heads, plus discounts on tons of other gear, click here to join the Insider Club.

Stop Wasting Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).
  • 20% OFF ALL of the fishing tackle you’re already buying!

Troy Bravenboer

So I may have been rigging this wrong and I just want to clarify. I am a bass angler coming over to the salt side.

Normally with a zoom bait I’d go through the nose of a u-tail out the bottom belly twist the hook and then come up through the bottom of the belly to the top further towards the middle of the rig and rig it “ultra seedless”

With the slam shady I am just coming directly out of the top further down the body is that right?

Jose Reyes

Ok-after last trip-I left slam’s in same package -5 inch and the 2.0 and 2 4 inch along with two jig heads! They all kind of melted together! 😬
Ruined all of them!
Jose Reyes

Joseph Butrica

New to club. There us so much info here. New to area so this stuff is so valuable.

Billy Mink

Hey Luke,
New to insider club and am very impressed with quantity and quality of info.
Do you pre-rig these or do you rig them on the spot?
Thanks

Tony
Tony

What type of knot would you recommend to tie the jig head into your leader?

Pearce Phillips
Pearce Phillips

Ive always heard that you should use fluorocarbon as a leader for a popping cork. I don’t have any in the 20-30 lb range; however, I do have it in monofilament. Are there any disadvantages to uses mono? Can’t WAIT to use a pack of Slam Shady’s behind a popping cork (and definitely without a popping cork, too)!

Steven Wall

Hello again. I’m new with the popping cork set up. Can you please tell me the proper size rod? Reel? Line size for the reel? The proper line leader size? Fluoro or mono? Can I use my baitcasters from bass fishing for anything? I also have seen you tie a short leader from the braid to the cork. Is that necessary and why? What lbs leader in between those? And last but not least. What knot is best for tying a leader to the bottom swivel on a popping cork leader.
Sorry to be a pain. Just wanting to learn and learn right.

Steven Wall

It’s truly a pleasure to be in the Salt Strong insider club. I am so glad I joined.
First question is? I thought I had signed up for the full insider club access. Or is there something I need to upgrade?

Justin jarriel
Justin jarriel

if using a regular jig head with the slam shady.what size jig head and color goes best with the paddletail

Michael Brent

which size jig head do you find works better the 1/8 or the 3/16?

Ok do you find a straight retrieve works better than bouncing it off the bottom. Thats what I was doing this weekend when i was fishing around the mangroves and grass flats and that might be why I wasnt getting bites

David LaPointe

Great tutorial Luke. Your rigging skills are 2nd to none. Not sure if it’s my eyes, my shaking hands or perhaps the lack of feeling in my fingers but I always seem to have issues rigging jig heads. This should help!
Thanks so much.

Tom Watts

Luke, Really great information. Thank you. Tom Watts, Naples, Fl.

Joseph Lombardi

thanks for the lessons on rigging very informative

Brandon
Brandon
1 month ago

Took my pack out today to pass a grille channel in st. Pete Florida, rigged it on a jig head that was white with red eyes from Wal-Mart. On my 5th cast got slammed by something huge! Was pulling some serious drag out, must have found the rocks or oyster bed cause i lost am and it was a clean cut on my braid. Can’t wait to go back out with some stronger gear/line and get some redemption

Steve Field
1 month ago

I think I’m going to sell all my fishing gear and kayaks…i quit…have all three of the slam shady paddle tails… Haven’t caught anything on them at all. Very disappointed with myself as a fisherman. Don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Seeing all these people catching tons of fish on them very disturbing. Help before i give it up…

Jaxon Matheny
Jaxon Matheny
1 month ago

I’m definitely seeing an issue with the species list. Multiple inconsistencies with proper naming, generalization, and even a non-fish species!

If you would like, I could properly identify every species with a clear photo!

Joseph Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Jaxon Matheny

Thanks Jaxon. We’re in the process of cleaning it up and adding documented Slam Shady catch photos of every species. This was a quick list we put together internally. And yes, a few non-fish species (like a turtle) have been caught on the Slam Shady.

Dan Kelly
1 month ago

Boys: Should you keep the slam shady lures in their bags or is keeping them in a tackle tray(by themselves) just as good. Would they lose scent if you do this? Thanks!!!
Dan

David Wren

Hey Luke, What’s the best bait for a Pinfish Trap? Thank You in advance

John McGinty
1 month ago

Great info as always. Thank you. One tip if using a popping cork is to tie about 6″ of leader or mono from your braid to the top of the cork rather than braid going directly to the cork. This will prevent a lot of tangles when casting.
– John

Sheldon Friedman
1 month ago

Luke, your tackle videos are excellent. You are a very good teacher. Keep ‘em coming!
Shelly Friedman, Bokeelia

James Woodmansee
1 month ago

Another great video Luke. Can you store the new SS 2.0 with other plastics? The Zmans can’t or they will dissolve each other.

Justin Rhymer
1 month ago

This is probably a dumb question but is there a specific knot to the for using each type of hook? I love this lure. Tested it out yesterday and hat fun using it. Didn’t catch anything but it was still fun to take out and use. My wife liked the color so that’s an added bonus lol

Justin Rhymer
Reply to  Justin Rhymer

Knot to use* sorry

Justin Rhymer
1 month ago

Awesome thank you. Also can you put the slam shady in some gulp liquid or is it better to put pro cure on it?

Justin Rhymer
1 month ago

Cool. Thanks for the tips if I have any more questions I’ll be sure to ask! And I’ll be sure to post some pics of the fish I catch with the new Slam Shady 2.0.

Byron Quinley

Been rigging plastics since I riding my bike to neighborhood ponds, but there’s always something to learn. Organizing weight by eye color is a great idea. Well done, sir.

Mike Simek

Hey Luke! It’s been about 2 years since hitting the water! I’m getting out Friday… If my I get my boat back from the shop by then lol. I ordered a bunch of twist locks and Slam Shady’s from y’all, I’ll report back with the outcome.
Thanks for all the great videos, they were great to go back to and freshen up on my knots and rigging while the boat is getting tuned up.
P.S. The original “No Bananas” circle sticker started a fun conversation when I dropped off my boat lol.

William Graswich

Thanks for the quick reply to my earlier question about the 2.0 Slam Shady. I think (not certain) but I think predator fish like to see “eyes” on the prey fish they are eating. BAAD makes a lure called a Devil Eye paddle tail plastic with a white eye and black pupil that is significantly larger than a standard jighead eye. Think about experimenting with painting on an eye on the Slam Shady for applications when going weedless in shallow flats and marshes here in Louisiana and in Texas. Any idea if there is a particular paint that would reasonable adhere to the 2.0’s? Has anyone out there tried this before with Z-Manns, or Bass Assassins, etc.?

John Martin

I have red jig heads used with Gulp lures. do you think I need the jigs you are showing now?

Gary Brady

I’m glad the 2.0 version is ready, will be buying plenty. 90% of my fish have been caught on the original slam shady.
The videos are great as usual, I always pick up some new tip

Donnie Allen Mingis JR

Hi Luke,
I fish the Savannah GA area, mainly the Skidaway Narrows area. We deal with huge tidal fluctuations and murky water most times. It is hard to use the satellite imagery for a detailed overview but it is useful using the depth charts. I am fairly new to inshore fishing, about three years and always fish from a Native Propel kayak. My question is – there are several weights of weighted hooks. It seems you only use the weighted hooks for the shallows. Is there any reason that a heavier weight hook rigged weedless is less effective than the jig head?
I have become a master of catching bearly legal trout but have yet to catch any large redfish or trout and few flounder. I joined to help with that and am optimistic that will change. Tight lines!!

William Hawkins

Hi Donnie, I fish the St Johns River and am all too familiar with deep dark water and fast moving currents. I have had some success using heavier Texas rigs versus Jig heads. The problem for me is the hook sizes increase as the weight increases for weighted hooks. I prefer a 3/8 jig head over the Texas rig when fishing 12′ or deeper. The paddle tails seem to be more effective versus swim shad also. Probably easier for the fish to locate in deeper, darker water. Slack tides are usually best when fishing areas with big tide swings. I try to “drop” my lures down steep banks.

Donnie Allen Mingis JR

Thank you William for the info. I have not had much success at either slack low or hi tide but will try what you suggest. I’ll let you know if I am successful. Tight lines!

Bob Hannigan
Bob Hannigan

I fish on lake Roosevelt in Washington state for trout, walleye, bass . I troll using bottom bouncers 15 to 20 feet of water with a wedding ring and worm. I am going to try your weedless system with a bottom bouncer. Do you have any recommendation on how long the leader should be from the bottom bouncer? The wedding ring I use now is about 3feet.

Bob Hannigan
Bob Hannigan

Hey thanks for the quick reply I will try this out and let you know. Great video by the way, You folks have got a great thing going.

Stan Mitchell

Slam shady 2.0 awesome. My question is are you going to discontinue the Z man slam shady and only Sell the 2.0 ? I really like the Z man because it’s so durable thanks for another good video Luke and Joe appreciate it

John Mitchell

Thanks Luke ordered the 2.0 yesterday can’t wait to try them out 🎣

Richard Fiorentino

Question- Have you stopped using the Gulp lures? I have . I just put some Pro Cure on The Zmans

Richard Fiorentino

You mentioned in the Slam Shady video this morning That the older ones were hard to rig. Once I stopped using the Owner Twist Locks and changed to the Grip Pin or Chinz weighted hooks, I had no problem with rigging.

Timothy Harp
Timothy Harp

I also fish the sounds in N.C. so will be trying them there also!!!

Timothy Harp
Timothy Harp

I live near 2 fresh water lakes, I also live near the Roanoke river in N.C.!!! I am going to try these on the lakes and River, for Striped Bass & Large mouth Bass!!!

Richard Fiorentino

Thanks Luke – I know you like the owner twist locks, but have you ever tried the ZMAN Chinlockz weighted hooks? They are a lot easier for me to rig. If not, could you try them? Thanks

Richard Fiorentino

Do you think there is really much of a difference in performance between the 3/16 and 1/4 oz jig heads? Thanks

Richard Fiorentino

Thanks for quick response. I have trouble telling them apart. Too bad Zman doesn’t put some kind of indicator on jig

Ohanian Mark
Ohanian Mark

I fish for strippers in New York do the paddle tales come in 5or 6 inches i think they will work any suggestions on how to fish them from a boat

Greg
Greg

Just placed and order! Pretty stoked for days off now. Which popping cork do you recommend? Who sells them?

Brooke De La Cruz

Hey Luke,
Thank you for the free pack of lures, I can’t wait to try them out. I fish down in South Texas around Corpus Christi. Have you ever used Z Man’s Texas eyes on your paddlers. I think they work great and add tons of action.

James Carlson
1 month ago

What weight do you prefer with the Texas Eye?

bruce
bruce

can you put the Slam Shady in Berkly gulp juice?

Steve Perry

Luke, do you have the weight of the 3, 4, and 5 inch Slam Shady without hook? I’m not seeing it on the packaging and am without a scale at the moment. Thanks, Steve

Jeff Simmons

Luke,
Do you use the weedless Trout eye jig heads for deeper water with structure? If so, do you set the wire under the hook point or leave it stick up?

Gary Koltz

Luke:
I have not made a comment before, but would like to share something I’ve been doing this past year to extend the life of the slam shady. When the head of the lure gets to torn up on the weighted hook. I remove it and put it on a jig head as you suggested rigging in the video. I add one small drop of super glue near the head of the jig. The slam shady’s stay in place. When they finally get so badly torn on the jig head I cut them off with a knife and do the process over again with another torn lure from the weighted hook. I use a gel type super glue not the liquid. The liquid is too messy. Thanks for the videos.

Robert Fisher

Great videos, thanks. Just ordered some slam shadys. What knot are you using on the jig? – Cheers

Brad Ewing

I live in Louisiana, on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, so most of the water here is murky and lots of guys use popping cork which I have as well. Have you found the water has to be clear to use the SS lures without the cork?

Mikel Kline

Great tips! I look forward to using my new Slam Shady baits. I have a couple of questions. I read below that you rig your baits before you head out and I also have seen your video on the storage of the Gulp baits in the Plano water”resistant” boxes with some of the scented liquid when you’re buying them in volume; so based on these videos and your comments, would you put your rigged baits in this same kind of storage box for just that trip or could they be stored rigged for longer periods? Also, I see that you reference the Owner weighted hooks that have a different shaped weight than other manufacturers. Is this deliberate because of the size and shape of the weight, or just because you like the Owner brand hooks? I intend to try rigging them with and without the Twistlocks to see if I have more success with one rigging method over the other. See…I’m trying to pay attention to the lessons and guidance. Thanks. Really enjoying being part of the club!

Gary Rankel

Great, great advice, Luke. These soft plastics rock. I’d only suggest using the new Mustad Chinlock hooks with them – they’re awesome.

George Dahlquist

What knot are you recommending tieing these baits off with?

Jeffrey Sorrell

Best ever knot— learned about at SS, and never have grass or slime catch on the knot. And due to fact it’s not directly against lure, you can tell if it gets frayed by a fish on.

JJ Patton

Awesome vids. Newbie/part time salt water guy. I live on the Mississippi River and fish for bass, the similarities are amazing

Lee Ashe

GREAT INFO LUKE, WONDERFUL PRESENTATIONS….GOD BLESS…….HAPPY HOLIDAYS…!!!

Linda Voll

I just received my Slam Shady packages. I am looking forward to using them this Friday at John’s Pass. I hope to have tons of pictures to post. Thanks for the above videos, I need as much coaching as I can get.

Linda Voll

Unfortunately, I got sick and have not been able to go. I am counting on more days on the water in 2020.

Gary Hartge

Hey guys,
One of the shore locations I fish goes from 0-2 ft depending on tide at a seawall, then submerged rocks, then and gradual ledge with crab traps and rocks to deep water, 15ft plus. I have had OK luck, thinking I should be doing better though. I am using a weighted hook rigged weedless as in your video, but I add a bullet weight, sort of like a Texas rig. It gets my paddle tail deep quickly when I cast out and it never gets hung up. Lost way too many with a jig head. Any suggestions on retrieval in such an environment? Its obviously getting cooler now. Thanks!

Richard Fiorentino

Luke- Have you ever tried the Snakelockz weedless jig head? Might be worth a try

Richard Fiorentino

Looks good. Please keep us posted.

Robert A Dyal

Had great luck with 3 inch in my small pond in Jacksonville FL. catch a few bass every day , just messing around. Sometime large, and catch them in just a few minutes, Would like to know how to store these properly and do they dry out. I rig them up, in advance of fishing, and store them in a plastic lure container. Is this going to be a problem? Thanks for all the info on these great lures. Great product! When will you get some of the 5 inches back in stock?

Jacinda Rose

Nice work, Luke! Thanks for all the info! I forced myself to go out with only the Slam Shady (& a topwater) the other day, and was thrilled with my 2 successful catches! I saw several fish chasing the bait, but not taking it. I was thinking it was something in my retrieval, which I alternated throughout the trip. I was using the 5″ on a #4 weighted owner twistlock (didn’t realize I didn’t grab any jigheads, so it was my only option). They seemed to hit when I’d stop reeling, but if I did a straight reel, they just followed it without hitting it. Both reds I caught were when I let it fall.

Richard Fiorentino

Even after sticking the hook through, I still have problems with ZMans and twist look hooks. I am older than most of your members and arthritis sucks. Have you ever tried, or could you try the Slam Shady with a worm hook, like the Mustad weighted grip pin 4/0 1/8 oz. It is much easier for me to rig. Thanks

Casey Simons

great information, thank you!

Barry Scott

The material you guys share is invaluable….I live in Atlanta, so I fish fresh water alot, but when I head down to Florida I use your tools all the time…..Love the Free “Live Bait Fishing” book…Keep doin what you guys are doin….We appreciate it tons !!

Mike Foy

Luke
great information. Thanks.
Question / confirmation — you use mono , but fluro is ok to use — just a cost factor?
Second– the knots used to tie to the hook or jighead loop knot only? how about a uni knot? any others?
Lastly, I live on a canal (about 4-8 foot deep) in port charlotte. Do you think the slam shady would be effective casting off my dock?
Will be in Florida in a week — can’t wait to start fishing again!

Mike Foy

Thanks Luke.
As usual, that was very helpful.

William Dees

Luke, Do you pre-rig your soft plastic on the hooks before you leave the dock ?
Thanks
Bill

Thanks ! You all are great ! Learned a lot from your
Salt Strong team !

Daniel Kalson

Awesome stuff, Luke and Team. I’ve been noticing the posts about the Slam Shady. But, I haven’t tried it yet. I catch most of my fish on topwater, jerk shads, and twitch baits. I definitely need to get with the program. 😃

David Simmet

I’m really interested in putting more flounder on my stringer. I’ve caught decent flounder on the 4 inch Slam Shady but they seem to be far in between. Knowing that mud minnows and finger mullet work well, do you think dropping down to a 3 inch bait, will increase my flattie catch ratio?

Theresa M Girolami

Hello to everyone,

I’m brand new to fishing and am really excited to land some great eating fish. I live in Maryland and fish the Chesapeake mostly pier fishing as I don’t have access to a boat.

Here is a question for Wyatt or any of the Simonds, I recently talked to Wyatt and was supposed to get some of the Slam Shady Paddletails but received 4 pair of scissors. the packing slip says paddletails but none were included. Is that a misunderstanding on my part?

Newbie

Jim Hundley

Ordered the 3” Slam Shaddy and 1/4 oz. trout eye jigs. I fished Sabine Lake, Texas yesterday using the above bait combo. By mid morning the guide ask, “what are you using”? The other guys were making fun of my references to Salt Strong and the Slam Shady. Guess who caught the most specs, reds, and flounder?
Wish I had ordered more!
Jim

Bill Mixson

How did you come up with the name Slam Shady?

Danny Valdes

Hi Luke, I have been absolutely slaying the fish with these slam shady paddletails ever since picking them up a few months ago! I do have a question and an issue I’ve found my self running into with these Zmans. Well I’m not sure if its user error, Zman material, or the trout eyes jig heads. The issue I find myself having is that the bait slides down the jig head past the 2 spikes that are supposed to anchor it down. This tends to happen to me more often after catching a few fish. I have to continuously try to push the bait back to the original position, very annoying! Trust me I even yank the heck of them way over the head of the jig. It seems like the zman material after a while begins to warp and the hole gets bigger that the spikes no longer can hold on. I appreciate this little how to lessons and will try to accommodate some of the tips you suggest. Thank you!

Richard Fiorentino

Luke – could you show this method in a video. I have the same problem. It is hard with my 70+ year old fingers to grap and pull over the spikes.

Richard Fiorentino

thanks luke

Richard Fiorentino

Great videos Luke. On the popping cork do you use mono or flouro? Also, do you think you have had more success with the 5″ Zman because it scented?

Kieth Holt

Thank you for the info! Very informative.

Dyke Easterday

Do these lures dry out when storing after short use? Should I store in sealed bag?

A. Rollins
A. Rollins
Reply to  Dyke Easterday

They’re a soft plastic. But, unlike Gulp they will not dry out. However, try to store Z-Baits in their original package, to avoid the melt factor, they’re known for.

Ed Librick

Thanks Luke, love your information videos

Mark Johnson

Great set of videos.. have you seen or tried the new Zman Texas weedless jighead?

Mark Johnson

Question.. does it make a difference to have an eye on a jig head versus a plain jig head?

Eric
Eric

Hey luke,
First off …Great videos .
I haven’t tried my slam shadies yet. I want to try them in fresh water for Kokanee (land lock silver salmon) and Mackina’s (lake trout). To get them down deeper I plan to use a diving rig. I’m hoping to get more time next year to fish them for Kings in the Puget Sound.
Do you have any thoughts on this?
And does Salt Strong / Slam Shadie have any thoughts on producing a herring or smelt color, (blue, black or green) plastic for us on the west coast?

Thanks Eric

DAN PAVLOVICH

Do you put Pro-Cure on the Slam Shady?

Jack Noor

Luke great information on this video, however I have experienced a problem trying to tie a loop knot with the twistlock hooks. Sometimes the fluorocarbon line gets on the other side of the loop handle of the twist mechanism, if that makes sense. Is there anything I need to pay more attention to when tying that loop knot to this hook? Thanks

Brian Biolchini

I have rigged the 5” Zman on just a worm hook with no weight the paddle tail will let the bait float above shallow grass and oysters down side is the retrieve is very slow

A. Rollins
A. Rollins

Hey Brian B. What size worm and style hook do you using with the 5″ Slam Shady? If I’d had to guess, a 5/0 or 6/0 Mustad KVD Grip-Pin 2x fine wire hook?

Tom Watts

Luke, Terrific! Thank you. Tom Watts, Naples, Fl.

Thanks Luke been struggling trying to get it right. You answered all my questions.

Adam Austin

Love it. The 4″ is the only one I bought, but I definitely will try other sizes. Being middle of the road, I had a great weekend slaying trout and redfish on the 4″. Pretty much any size fish I have presented it to has hit it. The thing I’ve found though is there will be some missed strikes on the 4″ with the trout eye jig head. I am going to test it with the redfish eye jig which has a longer hook shank. I think they’re hitting the tail and missing the hook, but those are smaller fish I’m not really trying to catch too.

Adam Austin

I most certainly will report back. Can’t wait to try many more of the zman baits. You need to stock some trout trick in the shop so I don’t have to buy from amazon.

Gregory Batchelor

Great report Luke. I am really liking Slam. Thanks for the rigging tips!

Gary Brady

Very good instructions for the slam shady, thanks Luke. I’ve caught the majority of my fish this summer with them, jack’s, mackerel and plenty of snook. Working on getting my first redfish.

William DeMott

Nice helpful video. I usually fish out of Crystal River but was recently fishing in the surf off jetties in the Panhandle. Floating algae was a problem from the shore. I caught a nice red from a jetty with a 1 oz jig and the 5 ” slam shady. The fish took the lure so deeply that the first two inches of line disappeared into the red’s mouth. Surprised me that the fish inhaled the lure so deeply.